Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84181 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #3750 on: August 11, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
When my sister had a teething baby, she used some stuff called Bonjela to ease her (the baby's) pain. Anything like that in Canada? It was a gel that is rubbed onto the little one's gums.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:38:17 PM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3751 on: August 11, 2018, 10:41:59 PM »
Hm, amazon.ca seems to stock it. The drugstore might too.

I tried ice with him today, but he wouldn't chew on a frozen cloth long enough to get any relief from it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #3752 on: August 12, 2018, 08:32:58 AM »
Could try oragel extra strength if its available,  or there's a  local anaesthetic  liquid with lidocaine, if you can't get them, I could buy a couple and send them to you if you'd like?
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3753 on: August 12, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
I remember buying all those freezable teething rings, orajel, the whole recommended arsenal for like 10 seconds of relief. My mom took him one day when he was so miserable I couldn't get a moments peace... and brings him back smiling, happy as hell.

I'm like WTF did you do now grandma?

She just gave me this wicked look and said "peach schnapps".

She would rub it on his gums.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #3754 on: August 12, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »
 :2thumbsup:

Getting yer toddler drunk FTW!!!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3755 on: August 12, 2018, 11:18:39 AM »
Lots of Norwegians on the road today.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3756 on: August 12, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
:2thumbsup:

Getting yer toddler drunk FTW!!!

My pediatrician was in his early 60's and she mentioned it to him.

He laughed and said "well I can't recommend it, but I used brandy on my kids". 

I guess that's what she used on me too.  :laugh:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3757 on: August 12, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »
A few drops of  spirit isn't going to hurt the wee cub, its not  getting him drunk, just using the spirit to numb his gums.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3758 on: August 12, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »
Drunk toddlers with colicky pains. That would be something, I guess.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3759 on: August 13, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »
Drunk toddlers with colicky pains. That would be something, I guess.

Hey, Mom put whiskey and paregoric/opium in my bottles and I turned out okay.   :kapkao:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3760 on: August 14, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »
A few drops of  spirit isn't going to hurt the wee cub, its not  getting him drunk, just using the spirit to numb his gums.

Absinthe would numb his gums alright.

I'm being anti-baby here though.  We were all a baby once.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3761 on: August 14, 2018, 04:47:31 PM »
Paregoric? thats a REALLY, really OLD-school med! They still sell a cough syrup sort of similar to paregoric. Called Gee's linctus, its over the counter still, surprisingly, as its based on tincture of opium, and quite respectably strong too, couple of bottles of that (200ml per bottle) and you'll be glowing for most of the rest of the day with a lovely relaxing buzz.

Although using that sort of thing for teething babies? shit no. the very young are much, MUCH more sensitive to opioids than adults, teens or older preteens (of course in the last case it should only be under doctor's supervision, as an overdose is more likely) Babies in particular though, they used to make a great many 'mother's soothing syrups' and 'mother's little helper' remedies, intended to quiet teething babies, and little'uns stroppy for whatever other little wee brat being little wee brat reasons. Because lets  face it, little kids are stroppy little shits for all sorts of reasons, or no reason at all for that matter :P

These were all the rage, these opiate-based (and often also quite alcoholic along with the laudanum, opium, paregoric and other various opium derivatives, many of these 'calming' patent products intended for quieting babies that wouldn't shut their little howling screaming puking shitting faces when mommy wanted to sleep instead of listen to screaming all night and day long, had a lot of alcohol as well, and they were a big problem, in the 1700s and earlier, because of the number of fatal overdoses of babies due to the use of these opiate syrups and cordials; it used to be a really quite big societal problem back then, some of my old antique physician's textbooks from the 16th century tell of it, and how they ought never to be used due to the risk of fatal poisonings of the babies by the opium content.

But a drop or two of alcohol on a fingertip is IMO not going to present anything like the kind of acute danger those opiate syrups did. Although absinthe shouldn't be used, there is a lot of sugar present in it, and other liqueur type alcohols, and if any teeth are present that is awfully bad for the baby's teeth/tooth, and besides, such early exposure to a lot of sugar could predispose the baby to be hooked on sugary foods to excess later on in life.

Oh, and OOOHHH! SQUEEEEEEEEE! just went to check on my ammonium formate I've been preparing, by first mixing aqueous formic acid and aqueous ammonia solution, followed by slowly, carefully evaporating down the solution, to get rid of the water, and I just noticed that the beaker is starting to get a deposit of clear crystals around the rim.

SQUEESQUEESQUEESQUEEEEEEE!!!

Been busy evaporating that down for over fifteen hours, finally down to less than 30ml of now highly concentrated solution. Going to put some cling film over the top, to prevent it from absorbing water (ammonium formate is pretty hygroscopic and I need dry crystalline product, not a thick syrupy liquid) and take it off the hotplate for a while, allowing it to cool down, see if it is supersaturated, which it should be, hopefully, then I could just filter off my first crop of crystalline ammonium formate, and keep it in the dessicator to dry it out thoroughly over something like freshly flame-fused caustic, before putting it in a bag and smashing it up with a hammer to powder for use as a dessicant)

Going for one last check on it, after I stick my gas mask on (if any were to spit and drip onto the hotplate it would first dehydrate to formamide, and formamide would dehydrate further to decompose to hydrogen cyanide gas, so mask and goggles on time) and grab some cling film.

Bugger....no damn cling-film.

Just had to transfer the solution by picking up the beaker and transferring the much-reduced-volume of by now concentrated as hell ammonium formate, at a temperature of between 95 and 98 'C, slowly and accurately pouring it into a series of much smaller microscale beakers which will fit in my dessicator, of about 10ml capacity in each, after first filling a container with sodium hydroxide as small grains, like salt but smaller, sticking that in the base of the dessicator and covering it with a metal grille full of holes, on which the microscale beakers now are sitting, the top of the dessicator on, being sucked dry of H2O.

That wasn't much fun. Had to make the transfer accurately, just in case of any decomposition to cyanide, holding the searing hot beaker and in the other hand, one microscale beaker after another, pouring in a portion of the whole, and feeling the skin of my thumb and first three fingers of one hand, and my thumb and forefinger and second finger of the other hand first dry out and then start crisping up at the surface, more or less just keeping  hold of the damn things by dint of sheer willpower and refusal to drop them after all that time spent evaporating off the water oh so slowly. Easy enough to make the ammonium formate solution itself, just takes a load of time stripping the water off without overheating it (boiling point of H2O being 100 'C of course, whilst the degradation temperature for ammonium formate to start turning to formamide is 180 'C, but the temperature of the stirplate surface itself is a lot hotter than the liquid in the beaker, although this was moderated by heating it with the beaker being put onto a metal grille impregnated with a disk of refractory material.)

Now, to slowly strip away the remaining H2O using a dessicant rather than heat.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:41:57 PM by Lestat »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3762 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
Lestat, of course, it's OLD-school med.  I'm almost 69.  Mom gave it to me to make me sleep after I had my (then unrecognized) reaction to the MMR vaccine.  Two days after the vaccine I started sleeping 4 or 5 hours a day.  I wasn't even 6 months old.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3763 on: August 14, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »
Hm, amazon.ca seems to stock it. The drugstore might too.

I tried ice with him today, but he wouldn't chew on a frozen cloth long enough to get any relief from it.
Those liquid filled teething rings, after being coated with a light brushing of honey and frozen were the best answer we came up with.
You will need several.

The honey seemed to keep them interested for a bit longer but a tiny topical alcohol is possible for sleep time.
Your freezer will not freeze booze, but an eyedropper full rubbed on the outside will numb where ever it touches.

As we get older we lose a bit of the affect, but "high brow tasters" will warn about trying to taste too many varieties at one sitting, because the alcohol will topically numb the tongue and palette.
Why not aching gums as well?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:37:16 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3764 on: August 14, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »
On another note, it seems as if comedians have possibly spoofed a president before  ... ... ...

Johnny Carson was awesome!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.