Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84181 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #3420 on: November 07, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
Well, it is amazing that the topic reply notifications have resumed showing up in my In Box instead of spam. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3421 on: November 07, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »
  Millennials overuse the word "amazing."  :soapbox:

The term "millennial" is amazingly overused. :zoins:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3422 on: November 07, 2016, 04:55:36 PM »
Amazing isn't it?  >:D

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3423 on: November 07, 2016, 07:04:30 PM »
Some people just love to attack other people they have no understanding of or think that they are of an inferior social position here!  Gotta love it, of course I see this irl as well.    ::)

WTF are you talking about?

You wouldn't understand me.

Right, you can out-passive-aggressive anybody.

I tell you what, ask Pea about me, I like and respect him.  You, I respect, but like mcmanslag and esquireslimebag, you seem to like to attack others as it suits you.  Think of me as you will, your choice.  I helped you reconnect to him and let the chips fall where they may. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3424 on: November 07, 2016, 07:27:02 PM »
^Mine is like that, too.

Make that three of us or four.

... and to think, there was a time when we were worried that my daughter would never talk. We got her therapy to help with this. REALLY good therapy, apparently,
 :apondering:

Did you pay per word? :P

We do now.

My autistic nephew:

That's how he talks all the time . :LOL:  just not in rhyme usually. 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #3425 on: November 07, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
What do you mean 'complicated'.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like a person would need step through a flowchart to get a safe hug.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3426 on: November 07, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »
I tell you what, ask Pea about me, I like and respect him.  You, I respect, but like mcmanslag and esquireslimebag, you seem to like to attack others as it suits you.  Think of me as you will, your choice.  I helped you reconnect to him and let the chips fall where they may.

Yeah, I appreciate that, and I don't have a serious problem with you.

Still, I'm gonna take potshots in passing when I see a big neon passive aggressive target painted on a post.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #3427 on: November 07, 2016, 11:59:43 PM »

Still, I'm gonna take potshots in passing when I see a big neon passive aggressive target painted on a post.

How many passive-agrressives does it take to screw in a light bulb?  :orly:

Nevermind, I'll do it myself.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3428 on: November 08, 2016, 03:30:54 AM »
 :laugh:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3429 on: November 08, 2016, 05:12:55 AM »

How many passive-agrressives does it take to screw in a light bulb?  :orly:

Nevermind, I'll do it myself.  :zoinks:

This gave me a good laugh to start the day.  I guess you're good for something.  :laugh: :trollface:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3430 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »

Yeah, I appreciate that, and I don't have a serious problem with you.

I can respect that.  For the record, I do the same on FB and Pappy sometimes chimes in with a challenge.  I rant and rave, squeek and sqwauk there as well.  Even Carlotta does that and it's ok by me.  Once I get my ya-ya's out of my system I move on to the next thing. 

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3431 on: November 08, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
Went to vote early today and the lines were long, but, moved swiftly enough.  I'll be working 3-11, so the results will not be known by me till I get home.  How many shots I knock back will depend on the results!   :fiveshots:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #3432 on: November 09, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
Not really, I'd just take my phone out, not that a phone would matter, and put it down separately, then do what I usually do if I want the contents out of my robe pockets. Turn it upside down and shake until the contents fall out. So I'd take it off,  put it back on in order to enable its being ripped off if so desired to be (by parties other than myself)

And of course QV moves the blades and pointy stuff and meds. I have almost without exception got a couple of doses of a heavy-duty sedative-hypnotic/antiseizure drug (used mostly in the matter capacity) in my pocket, not that a couple of caps of it would do someone nontolerant any harm, but you can bet that within maybe 20 minutes at most you'd be spark out cold. Stuff has a real kick to it. And when I am tinkering, as in, tinkering with technological bits and pieces then I am near enough certain to have a pair of long nosed pointy tipped electrical pliers that would if misused make an excellent stabby pointy pokey implement of proddage. And fairly often a box lined with a pair of magnetic strips between which scalpel blades are held on the one side, and the spare for a trio of surgical scalpels, well two of them are the other one has a solid plastic handle so its insulated, two metal handled ones, one very small, the other regular-average size and the insulated one is a bit of a butcher's cleaver in scalpel terms, big fat handle and takes a variety of odd blades, such as a chisel-type blade, still thin like a conventional scalpel blade, but the edge is at the end only, of a long rectangular blade, and is razor sharp. They come in useful generally speaking, opening packages, think I might have used one of the three to open the tape and packaging on the two big parcels that 'santa clause', during his non-seasonal work as a mailman brought me today. and they are especially, especially handy when I've come back from a mushroom foraging hunt and want to know if what I have are things I can eat. For things like taking really really thin slices and dissecting out single fragments from gills and gill edges so I can place them using the very tips of the scalpel blades, onto microscope slides so as to do minimal damage to the cell structure, because that is typically, along with spore shape, size, orientation and type as well as reactivity with certain chemical test reagents, what I wish to examine under my 'scope in the first place, and they are the finest of fine details so they require a delicate touch, and cutting sections from the cap tissue itself to examine the shape of the hyphae, evidence of anastomoses (connections between the hyphae, they look like say, if you had two blood veins from a human side to side and little tiny veinlets joining between them connecting them, or whether the hyphae are septate (having a dividing structure between lengths of the same hypha, like an airlock almost, only singular, one every so often rather than two as a pair close together every so often)

And something I REALLY would like, is not for mycology, but pharmacological studies using cultured tissues, called a patch clamp, or cell clamp, which is where a cell is clamped by suction via micropippettes, and usually for the purpose of determining activity at various receptors, ion channels etc. by applying chemicals of interest plus buffer solution containing nutrients to enable the cell to live throughout testing and first a signal amplifier to record the tiny microscopic little electrical currents flowing as ion flux of different types flowing in and out of cellular ion channels, creating a potential differential, which is passed to an amplifier, signal recorder etc. and either recorded on a computer or I suppose one could have something to plot a trace onto paper. Either way, a way to record the data one seeks. Plus there is a very similar technique called cell clamping, which rather than using a patch of cell membrane, excised from the cell, using an entire cell and a pair of similar electrodes, formed of glass capillary tubing both connected to micromanipulators attached to the microscope stage. Would allow me a much MUCH greater lot of leeway and sophistication in the things I can develop safely, testing for many modes of toxicity without ever putting them in my own body first. That way some things that would obviously be neurotoxins from the shape of the electrical signal trace after ligand application, from modes of binding etc. can be safely abandoned before ever, ever getting close to a human. And I do not DO testing on animals, I won't stand for that kind of disgusting act. I cannot prevent it worldwide, and I do see WHY it is done, but all the same I cannot do it (in a can't stand the thought of performing such a hideous act of barbarism and cruelty) and will not do it. Nor would I tolerate it being done within the lab I exercise control and ownership of.Its simple, it won't happen. Simple as that.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3433 on: November 09, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
Not really, I'd just take my phone out, not that a phone would matter, and put it down separately, then do what I usually do if I want the contents out of my robe pockets. Turn it upside down and shake until the contents fall out. So I'd take it off,  put it back on in order to enable its being ripped off if so desired to be (by parties other than myself)

And of course QV moves the blades and pointy stuff and meds. I have almost without exception got a couple of doses of a heavy-duty sedative-hypnotic/antiseizure drug (used mostly in the matter capacity) in my pocket, not that a couple of caps of it would do someone nontolerant any harm, but you can bet that within maybe 20 minutes at most you'd be spark out cold. Stuff has a real kick to it. And when I am tinkering, as in, tinkering with technological bits and pieces then I am near enough certain to have a pair of long nosed pointy tipped electrical pliers that would if misused make an excellent stabby pointy pokey implement of proddage. And fairly often a box lined with a pair of magnetic strips between which scalpel blades are held on the one side, and the spare for a trio of surgical scalpels, well two of them are the other one has a solid plastic handle so its insulated, two metal handled ones, one very small, the other regular-average size and the insulated one is a bit of a butcher's cleaver in scalpel terms, big fat handle and takes a variety of odd blades, such as a chisel-type blade, still thin like a conventional scalpel blade, but the edge is at the end only, of a long rectangular blade, and is razor sharp. They come in useful generally speaking, opening packages, think I might have used one of the three to open the tape and packaging on the two big parcels that 'santa clause', during his non-seasonal work as a mailman brought me today. and they are especially, especially handy when I've come back from a mushroom foraging hunt and want to know if what I have are things I can eat. For things like taking really really thin slices and dissecting out single fragments from gills and gill edges so I can place them using the very tips of the scalpel blades, onto microscope slides so as to do minimal damage to the cell structure, because that is typically, along with spore shape, size, orientation and type as well as reactivity with certain chemical test reagents, what I wish to examine under my 'scope in the first place, and they are the finest of fine details so they require a delicate touch, and cutting sections from the cap tissue itself to examine the shape of the hyphae, evidence of anastomoses (connections between the hyphae, they look like say, if you had two blood veins from a human side to side and little tiny veinlets joining between them connecting them, or whether the hyphae are septate (having a dividing structure between lengths of the same hypha, like an airlock almost, only singular, one every so often rather than two as a pair close together every so often)

And something I REALLY would like, is not for mycology, but pharmacological studies using cultured tissues, called a patch clamp, or cell clamp, which is where a cell is clamped by suction via micropippettes, and usually for the purpose of determining activity at various receptors, ion channels etc. by applying chemicals of interest plus buffer solution containing nutrients to enable the cell to live throughout testing and first a signal amplifier to record the tiny microscopic little electrical currents flowing as ion flux of different types flowing in and out of cellular ion channels, creating a potential differential, which is passed to an amplifier, signal recorder etc. and either recorded on a computer or I suppose one could have something to plot a trace onto paper. Either way, a way to record the data one seeks. Plus there is a very similar technique called cell clamping, which rather than using a patch of cell membrane, excised from the cell, using an entire cell and a pair of similar electrodes, formed of glass capillary tubing both connected to micromanipulators attached to the microscope stage. Would allow me a much MUCH greater lot of leeway and sophistication in the things I can develop safely, testing for many modes of toxicity without ever putting them in my own body first. That way some things that would obviously be neurotoxins from the shape of the electrical signal trace after ligand application, from modes of binding etc. can be safely abandoned before ever, ever getting close to a human. And I do not DO testing on animals, I won't stand for that kind of disgusting act. I cannot prevent it worldwide, and I do see WHY it is done, but all the same I cannot do it (in a can't stand the thought of performing such a hideous act of barbarism and cruelty) and will not do it. Nor would I tolerate it being done within the lab I exercise control and ownership of.Its simple, it won't happen. Simple as that.

That is about as random as it gets.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3434 on: November 09, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
^ yep.  :LOL:

I sometimes wonder if Lestat has somehow managed to post his reply on the wrong thread? or maybe he's hallucinating posts? I dunno .