Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84205 times)

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #2310 on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »
This morning, instead of the newspaper I'm subscribed to, I found a different newspaper on the doormat. Not that bothered by it but do hope that tomorrow my regular newspaper is laying there.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2311 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »
I saw two vehicles with trailers on the parkway where they are prohibited and normally pulled over rather quickly
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2312 on: July 11, 2014, 12:38:35 AM »
Someone's dog is barking, nearby.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2313 on: July 12, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
I could hear people playing the drums outside earlier and when I went for an after dinner walk I found out they were about a quarter mile away at the beach

George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2314 on: July 12, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
I could hear people playing the drums outside earlier and when I went for an after dinner walk I found out they were about a quarter mile away at the beach

Go yell at them for disturbing the peace!  :get:       :oneliner: :rock:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2315 on: July 12, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »

Go yell at them for disturbing the peace!  :get:       :oneliner: :rock:

It wasn't bad it was almost like those jungle drums you hear in the movies it was a little odd

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2316 on: July 15, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »
Maybe they want Kong to appear.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #2317 on: July 16, 2014, 04:30:24 AM »
Jeeh, finally I got the confirmation, via email a couple of minutes ago, that the webshop has received my money. Oinky doinky, 15 days it took for the money to be transferred.. I could've walked to and fro the store and paid cash and be happily chopping up some veggies, by now, in that timespan.

Well, all's well that ends w.... 

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #2318 on: July 18, 2014, 04:55:48 AM »
A couple of days ago I tossed the core, with the many little seeds, of a melon on top of the soil where my two sexy ladies 'house in'. Couple of those seeds have now 'hatched' and little shoots have now emerged on top of mention soil.

:laugh:

I'm going into the melon trade as well now. ("

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2319 on: July 18, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
Got an email today, that what I had ordered was not available, and that my bill was being cancelled.

Very weird, two days ago I got an email telling me they had shipped what I had ordered, and that it was on it's way.

Time warps?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #2320 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
Got an email today, that what I had ordered was not available, and that my bill was being cancelled.

Very weird, two days ago I got an email telling me they had shipped what I had ordered, and that it was on it's way.

Time warps?

Did you order a bill canceller? If so, it has been delivered. :tinfoil:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #2321 on: July 29, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
Found a shield bug (Heteroptera/a green one) on one of my plants about an hour ago. I should have killed the fucker, for they can do some serious damage to plants, but instead I shot the bug off a leave using my finger.

Iz going to fiercely check the plants from now on.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #2322 on: July 29, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
Adults helping unaccompanied children cross a busy avenue. Random acts of kindness to protect the chil'rens :)
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2323 on: July 29, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
Someone else's take on HP

When people say these books are children’s books, as if to demean them, I balk. These books dealt with themes that adults do not fully understand or wish to. It dealt with racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, prejudice, and general ignorance. These books taught us that it doesn’t matter how you were raised, but that you get to choose to be kind, loyal, brave, and true. They taught us to be strong under the pressures of this world and to hold fast to what we know to be right. These books taught me so much, they changed me as a person. So just because they’re set against a fantastical backdrop with young protagonists does not mean that their value is any less real.

First book: Starts with the double murder of a pair of twenty-one year olds who were much missed and leaving their baby son a war orphan. A child growing up in abusive conditions that would give Cinderella the horrors. Dealing with peers and teachers who are bullies. The fickleness of fame (from the darling of Gryffindor to the outcast.) The idea that there are things worth fighting and dying for, spoken by the child protagonist. Three children promptly acting on that willingness to sacrifice their lives, and two of them getting injured doing so.

Second book: The equivalent of racism with the pro-pureblood attitude. Plot driven by an eleven year old girl being groomed and then used by a charming, handsome older male. The imbalance of power and resultant abuse inherent in slavery. Fraud perpetuated by stealing something very intimate.

Third book: The equivalent of ableism with a decent, kind and competent adult being considered less than human because he has an illness that adversely affects his behaviour at certain times. A justice system that is the opposite of just. Promises of removing an abused child from the abusive environment can’t always be kept. The innocent suffer while the guilty thrive.

Fourth book: More fickleness of fame. The privileged mistreating and undermining the underprivileged because they can. A master punishing a slave for his own misjudgment, and the slave blaming herself. A sports tournament which involves mortal risk being cheered by spectators. A wonderful young man being murdered simply because he was in the way. A young boy being tortured, humiliated and nearly murdered.

Fifth book: PTSD in the teenage protagonist. Severe depression in the protagonist’s godfather, triggered by inherited mental health issues and being forced to stay in a house where abuse occurred. A bigoted tyrant who lives to crush everyone under her heel, torturing a teenager for telling the truth in the name of the government (and trying to suck his soul out too). The discovery that your idols can have feet of clay after all. An effort to save the life of someone dear and precious actually costing that very same life. The loss of a father-figure and the resultant guilt.

Sixth book: The idea that a soul can be broken beyond repair. Drugs with the potential for date rape are shown as having achieved exactly that in at least one case, resulting in a pregnancy. Well-meaning chauvinism trying to control the love life of a young woman. Internalized prejudice resulting in refusing the one you love, not out of lack of love but out of fear of tainting them. The mortality of those that seem powerful and larger than life.

Seventh book: Bad situations can get worse, to the point where even the privileged end up suffering and afraid. More internalized prejudice and fear hysterical terror of tainting those you love. Self-sacrifice and the loss of loved ones, EVERYWHERE. Those who are bitter are often so with a reason. The necessity of defeating your inner demons, even though it’s never as cool as it sounds. Don’t underestimate those that are enslaved. Other people’s culture isn’t always like your own. Things often come full circle (war ending with the death of a dearly-loved pair of new parents and their orphaned baby son living with his dead mother’s blood relative instead of his young godfather). Even if ‘all is well’ the world is still imperfect, because it’s full of us brilliant imperfect humans.

So… still think that Harry Potter is a kid’s series with no depth?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #2324 on: July 29, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »
As I grew up with Harry Potter, I never really identified "kids" stuff as immature. In fact at the age I was reading HP I thought most adults were hypocritical morons. Actually...I kind of still do lol. But just because something is for kids does not automatically = no depth.

It's for kids. With depth. :)
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.