Author Topic: Mint addiction and cravings  (Read 13694 times)

Binty

Mint addiction and cravings
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:09:19 AM »
Recently I've gotten addicted to mints and peppermint tea.  I consume ridiculous amounts of them both to the point that it's starting to fuck with my body and I'm just wondering whether it may be because my body is missing something?  ???  Apparently, pregnant women get peppermint tea cravings too.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Mint addiction and cravings
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:12:13 AM »
What symptoms are you getting? I find this curious as I can't stand anything minty. Even toothpaste. Doesn't stop me from brushing my teeth though.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Binty

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:17 AM »
While I, on the other hand, want to eat my toothpaste  :-\

Symptoms are not really "symptoms" per se, just effects of consuming too many mints - I feel constantly ill and my teeth are getting fucked up (2 are now chipped and my jaw/teeth ache from the constant crunching and chewing).  What makes me think this is not right is the fact that I can't stop myself from eating them.   Literally.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:13:43 AM »
I guess the first step you should take is to stop buying them. Or if you really have to have them, buy only a certain amount so you have to ration them. Just a few per day or something.

I don't know if there is anything particularly addictive about mint.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »

Symptoms are not really "symptoms" per se, just effects of consuming too many mints - I feel constantly ill and my teeth are getting fucked up (2 are now chipped and my jaw/teeth ache from the constant crunching and chewing).  What makes me think this is not right is the fact that I can't stop myself from eating them.   Literally.

Is it the taste or the crunching and chewing?  I usually let mints dissolve in my mouth rather than chew them. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:55 AM »

Is it the taste or the crunching and chewing?  I usually let mints dissolve in my mouth rather than chew them. 

I've heard of people crunching ice. Maybe it is the crunching! My own teeth couldn't take that, with all the fillings I have.   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Binty

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
I think it's the crunching.  I also really like the kinda numbed out sensation in my mouth, that strong minty things give.

I've tried rationing but it doesn't work.  I get through 30 packets of Polos in a day  :-\

I was guessing that it may be a weird pica-like symptom of iron deficiency?  I am anemic after all  :laugh:

I guess it could be worse, I could be addicted to crack  :zoinks:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
I think it's the crunching.  I also really like the kinda numbed out sensation in my mouth, that strong minty things give.

I've tried rationing but it doesn't work.  I get through 30 packets of Polos in a day  :-\

I was guessing that it may be a weird pica-like symptom of iron deficiency?  I am anemic after all  :laugh:

Or you could be addicted to crunching men's sensitive areas.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »

Are you eating properly? Because it would be absolutely overloading your body with sugar eating that many mints in a day.

Binty

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:51:12 PM »

Are you eating properly? Because it would be absolutely overloading your body with sugar eating that many mints in a day.

Recently?  Not really.  I just have one meal a day lately and sleep a lot.

Osensitive1

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »
Iron deficiency are why some pregnant women crave mint. Iron and zinc deficiency also related eating ice and other pica behavior. Here's a couple of sites where it's mentioned.
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2006/10/23/mint-craving-mi/
http://earthclinic.com/CURES/anemia.html

Binty

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »

Having a full blown health-freak former family in law I know they were careful with too much mint tea, because it could withdraw calcium from your body. So yes, your teeth may suffer indeed.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

midlifeaspie

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »

Could you just limit yourself to the tea?

TheoK

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
Be addicted to crack is  :viking: