Educational

Author Topic: Medical Assisted Suicide??  (Read 2929 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Medical Assisted Suicide??
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2011, 06:34:13 AM »
You bite and shoot within ½ second. They were made of glass and probably filled with hydrogen cyanide rather than potassium cyanide, so they worked within seconds.

Biting glass, ouch. Not that it matters in that context, I suppose.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2011, 06:35:08 AM »
Whilst it might not be 'illegal'  now,  it was once - and it carried the death penalty  :lol:  it is still a death that would require a police callout,  and cause of death would
be determined by a post mortem,  certain insurance companies won't pay out meaning you could be saddling relatives with your funeral costs as well as them having to attend an inquest.  You also have to be very meticulous about not involving anyone in your plans for it is illegal to assist and carries a long prison sentence.

I know this is gonna sound harsh and i will probably get some stick for saying it  -  but i feel we spend a lot of money keeping people alive - young or old -  and i would rather channel those resources to people who actually want to live - yes i mean young and old too.  I find it frustrating to read about remarkable individuals who battle to stay alive, against all odds,  fighting cancer and overcoming awful injuries while some people just don't want to live anymore.
blah blah blah

eris

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2011, 06:36:51 AM »
This is one case where America is better than the UK. In America, if you want to die, you can buy a gun and shoot yourself. In Britain, you have to ask government permission before wiping your nose. :headbang:

Eh, the tube in the car connected to it's exhaust is a excellent choice if you can't get a gun.

I agree. I really recommend this as a highly effective yet painless suicide method.

TheoK

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2011, 06:37:44 AM »
Cyanide capsules looked like this, by the way: Cyanide container

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »
:thumbup:  I found those pics to be quite interesting,  so they didn't swallow the glass they just had to break it?  is that correct?
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »
:thumbup:  I found those pics to be quite interesting,  so they didn't swallow the glass they just had to break it?  is that correct?

They crushed the capsule between the teeth. Death or at least unconsiousness would come within less than 10 seconds, death would be certain within a minute or two.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2011, 06:46:25 AM »

They crushed the capsule between the teeth. Death or at least unconsiousness would come within less than 10 seconds, death would be certain within a minute or two.

*shakes head*  I couldn't do that, my teeth are not up to biting glass.  *reaches for the Sensodyne*   :laugh:

People forget.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »
Whilst it might not be 'illegal'  now,  it was once - and it carried the death penalty  :lol:  it is still a death that would require a police callout,  and cause of death would
be determined by a post mortem,  certain insurance companies won't pay out meaning you could be saddling relatives with your funeral costs as well as them having to attend an inquest.  You also have to be very meticulous about not involving anyone in your plans for it is illegal to assist and carries a long prison sentence.

I know this is gonna sound harsh and i will probably get some stick for saying it  -  but i feel we spend a lot of money keeping people alive - young or old -  and i would rather channel those resources to people who actually want to live - yes i mean young and old too.  I find it frustrating to read about remarkable individuals who battle to stay alive, against all odds,  fighting cancer and overcoming awful injuries while some people just don't want to live anymore.

That's true about the insurance.  My cousin's hospital stay following her suicide attempt was not covered by her health insurance even though she was a minor.  So my aunt and uncle had to pay the entire cost themselves in monthly payments.

P7PSP

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
You bite and shoot within ½ second. They were made of glass and probably filled with hydrogen cyanide rather than potassium cyanide, so they worked within seconds.

As soon as the CN- bonds with your hemoglobin and stops O2 from bonding you will cease caring about glass in your mouth. Cyanide is organic too, therefore it must be good right?  :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

As soon as the CN- bonds with your hemoglobin and stops O2 from bonding you will cease caring about glass in your mouth. Cyanide is organic too, therefore it must be good right?  :zoinks:

Cyanide is good for me? That's, like, so cool!   :blonde:

People forget.

TheoK

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
You're organic and cyanide is organic too. Ergo: cyanide is good for you.  :zoinks:

Binty

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Suicide isn't illegal, attempting and failing is, and will end one in mental hospital not jail. For the old and terminal ill, do fully support euthanasia and believe those who want to die should be allowed to, however assistance from the medical industry can be problematic if legal because it makes killing a business.

Executioners in the states that still have the death penalty make killing a business.

Osensitive1

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
Don't agree with the death penalty either but considering the number of executions per year averages about 50, it could be argued there would be a big difference in the two.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
wow 50 a year, I didn't know it was that high

Osensitive1

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
Thought it would be lower too since people sentenced to death often wait many years before it happens.  Also didn't realize 3/4 of the states have the death penalty; thought that was lower too. Considering such, then fifty doesn't seem as high. Got that statistic from this site. http://www.antideathpenalty.org/statistics.html