Author Topic: Medical Assisted Suicide??  (Read 2920 times)

TheoK

Re: Medical Assisted Suicide??
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
The Swiss have several referendums every year, on all levels. If 200000 Swiss demand it, there must also be a referendum about the Swiss constitution.

That's what I call democracy.  8)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
The Swiss have several referendums every year, on all levels. If 200000 Swiss demand it, there must also be a referendum about the Swiss constitution.

That's what I call democracy.  8)

I agree.

It also shows the drawbacks of true democracy though. At the time of holding the referendum on the banning of building new minarets, the majority of the country had been whipped into a frenzy of anti-muslim sentiment.

Sadly there does not appear to be a perfect solution. If there is, then it's far beyond my abilities to see it.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 01:07:16 PM »
I don't see how we're cunts for not having something we don't want (ie guns for anyone and everyone)

Although if that does make us cunts, then I guess I'm a cunt  :dunno:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
Also this topic has been fucking DONE TO DEATH. can't we get back to what the thread was about? I thought that was interesting

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
The gun argument isn't that relevant in this thread.  A gun would be the  last thing i would use if i wanted to die anyway.  I would look at other methods first, like an overdose perhaps.  Anyway i believe that if you have the readies and are determined enough, you could by a gun to do it anyway - lawful or not. 

The point is in deciding 'enough is enough' you are committing a crime!  I think that is why people choose to go to that clinic.  You may think, well does it matter?  if i commit suicide i am violating the law and that has consequences.   Anything deemed 'not natural causes' is automatically referred to H M Coroner.  The coroner would conduct a post mortem,  my family would have to wait before they could book the funeral,  they would likely then have to attend an inquest....it's a big long fuck about!!

I am not entirely sure why a healthy person would want to do it anyway - but i agree that it should be their right - and they shouldn't have to break the law to do so.

If you use a legally held firearm in america to kill yourself - is that against the law?  If so then you have the same problem :thumbup:
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »
Suicide seems to be illegal in America, yes.

Actually one of the safest methods to kill yourself isn't by a gun but by putting explosives in your mouth. At least small calibre guns might fail their purpose, with you ending up as a vegetable.

Overdose is harder than you might think, if you don't, once again, go for the illegal stuff. Most drugs prescribed, unless you already have an almost deadly disease won't kill you nowadays. When each and every MD prescribed strong barbiturates, 30 pills were often enough.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »
The gun argument isn't that relevant in this thread.  A gun would be the  last thing i would use if i wanted to die anyway.  I would look at other methods first, like an overdose perhaps.  Anyway i believe that if you have the readies and are determined enough, you could by a gun to do it anyway - lawful or not. 

The point is in deciding 'enough is enough' you are committing a crime!  I think that is why people choose to go to that clinic.  You may think, well does it matter?  if i commit suicide i am violating the law and that has consequences.   Anything deemed 'not natural causes' is automatically referred to H M Coroner.  The coroner would conduct a post mortem,  my family would have to wait before they could book the funeral,  they would likely then have to attend an inquest....it's a big long fuck about!!

I am not entirely sure why a healthy person would want to do it anyway - but i agree that it should be their right - and they shouldn't have to break the law to do so.

If you use a legally held firearm in america to kill yourself - is that against the law?  If so then you have the same problem :thumbup:

I'm just not sure. I have principles that pull me in both directions on this issue. Of course I believe in freedom over your own life and body, but at the same time I'm not sure that it should be made easier to kill yourself. Often people want to die, but things like fear, and difficulty stop them from actually doing it. Often these people can eventually find some degree of happiness in their life.

Osensitive1

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 06:01:43 PM »
Suicide isn't illegal, attempting and failing is, and will end one in mental hospital not jail. For the old and terminal ill, do fully support euthanasia and believe those who want to die should be allowed to, however assistance from the medical industry can be problematic if legal because it makes killing a business.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:03:33 PM by Jack »

P7PSP

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 11:55:21 PM »
I voted target practice for the army.  :thumbup:

TheoK

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 04:35:29 AM »
Hitler killed himself with a 7.65mm...PPK.  :orly:  Both school shooters in Finland killed themselves with 5.56mm short. Though with both those calibre suicide might fail.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2011, 06:04:35 AM »
Didn't Hitler also bite on a cyanide capsule at the same time though?

TheoK

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:23 AM »
 :indeed:

TheoK

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:48 AM »
Or at least that's what they think. No one really knows.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:38 AM »
Didn't Hitler also bite on a cyanide capsule at the same time though?

Biting into a cyanide capsule while shooting oneself would be a pretty impressive feat of multitasking!    :multitask:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

TheoK

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »
You bite and shoot within ½ second. They were made of glass and probably filled with hydrogen cyanide rather than potassium cyanide, so they worked within seconds.