Educational

Author Topic: WTF is this?  (Read 603 times)

midlifeaspie

WTF is this?
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
 :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

A rabbit with a pizza on its head?

eris

Re: WTF is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
i think it is a pancake. I dont know WHY it is a pancake, though.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »
From Wikipedia:

Oolong
ウーロン

Oolong balancing a waffle on his head in his last "head performance"
Other appellation(s) Oolong the rabbit
The pancake rabbit
Breed Rabbit
Sex Male
Born July 28, 1994(1994-07-28)
Hokkaidō, Japan
Died January 7, 2003(2003-01-07) (aged 8)
Nation from Japan
Years active 1999—2003
Official site Oolong's Photo journal

Oolong (ウーロン, Ūron?) (Hokkaidō, July 28, 1994 — Hokkaidō, January 7, 2003), named after the oolong variety of tea, was a domestic rabbit owned by photographer Hironori Akutagawa. The rabbit was famous for his ability to balance a variety of objects on his head.

Contents [hide]
1 Biography
2 Origins
3 Death
4 References
5 External links

[edit] BiographyOolong was a well known Internet phenomenon, through a large array of photographs posted by Akutagawa on his website. The site featured "photo journeys" of the domestic rabbit traveling with his master through the house, yard, and other locations. The website became known to a wider audience when it was covered in 2001 by Syberpunk, a site which focuses on odd things in Japanese culture.[1]

Oolong was trained to balance objects on his head, an art called "Head Performance" by his owner.[2] The first object balanced on Oolong's head was a 35mm film canister on 25 May 1999.[3] Soon, Akutagawa had the rabbit balance a variety of things on his head, including tea cups, bread, fruit, pancakes (actually dorayaki), and even a rabbit skull. Although most reactions on the Internet were positive, there were some complaints by people who believed the practice to be cruel to animals. In response, Akutagawa wrote in a message to website visitors: "Some visitors have written me e-mails, accusing me of being cruel to my rabbit and that I am abusing my pet. This was never my intention when I included numerous links to photographs, showing Oolong's unique ability to hold objects on his head. This is not a site to mock rabbits, or demonstrate animal abuse. I'm sure you understand it if you see whole my site [sic]."[4]

Throughout the rabbit's lifetime, the photographer continued to document his journeys through natural and not-so-natural environments as well as take hundreds of pictures of the rabbit balancing objects. Oolong has been noticed by the media, including the New York Times,[5] and has become a widespread Internet meme. The best known of Oolong's photographs was one that was widely used as an image macro called "Bunny Wafflehead", which featured Oolong balancing a dorayaki on his head. Another popular photograph is Oolong with a pancake on its head with the caption "I have no idea what you're talking about... so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head."[6]

[edit] OriginsThe head performance is actually a result of the domestic rabbit's natural tendency to cuddle with each other, other animals (like housecats) and their owners by putting their heads underneath the others' chin.[citation needed]

[edit] DeathOolong died on January 7, 2003. Akutagawa took photographs[7] of the rabbit's last moments alive and has included it in his website. Akutagawa now owns a new rabbit by the name of Yuebing (ユエビン, Yuebin?), which he hopes to raise in a way similar to Oolong.[8] Yuebing continues the theme of Chinese foods, Yuebing being Chinese for Mooncake.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »
Okay - so I know "what".  I am still shaky on "why", or how to drop this bizarre reference into a conversation :)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
Because internet.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
mushroom cap bunny...very rare

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »
 :bunny:

good explanation of oolong

your majesty :plus:
blah blah blah

midlifeaspie

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
:bunny:

good explanation of oolong

your majesty :plus:

Yes, thank you my Queen.  I took a hiatus from board-type websites from late 2000 until late 2010.  I am not up to speed on my memes  :dunno:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
Okay - so I know "what".  I am still shaky on "why", or how to drop this bizarre reference into a conversation :)

If you have no idea what someone is talking about, that's a good time to bring out pancake bunny.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »

If you have no idea what someone is talking about, that's a good time to bring out pancake bunny.

Indeed. Instead of your original question, you could have put :bunny:. This thread is redundant.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »
There is also Santa giving a nazi salute  :santa: :santa: :santa:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
Seems like it should be seasonal :)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
Lady Butterflies, this is as close as I can come, and it's not too enlightening:

PrintE-MailFeedback11/30/2006
  St. Nick Scandal in Germany
Is Santa Claus a Nazi?
Christmas shoppers in Germany are horrified. Across the country, models of Santa Claus in shop windows appear to be giving the Nazi salute. Some chains have already removed them from the shelves.

A Hitler-saluting Santa in Germany's Bild newspaper.
If Santa Claus were to move away from the North Pole to one of the more populated parts of the world, what political party would he support? His "peace on Earth" message might indicate a left-of-center stance. But what about his Big Brother ("He knows when you've been sleeping. He knows when you're awake) tendencies? Sounds a lot like the Republicans in the United States these days.

Or maybe he's a fascist? That, at least, is what a report in the Thursday issue of the tabloid Bild seems to indicate. Germans shopping for Christmas trinkets have been shocked recently to discover row upon row of Santa Clauses looking to all the world as if they are giving the Hitler salute -- right arm, straight as an arrow, raised skyward. Never mind that St. Nick is carrying a bag of toys and wearing a silly red hat complete with a white pom-pom. Shoppers were sure -- these Santas were Nazis.

Readers of Germany's largest-circulation paper have reported seeing the saluting St. Nicks in a number of shops around the country. Indeed, one of Germany's largest drug stores, Rossmann, even went so far as to take the offending Santas off the shelves.

But are they really giving the Hitler salute? In any other country, people likely wouldn't think twice about seeing jolly old St. Nick with a stiff right arm -- and to be fair, he looks more like he is pointing to his reindeer flying overhead than attending a neo-Nazi rally. Still, the design -- as an unscientific office poll at SPIEGEL ONLINE showed -- could easily be misinterpreted.

The toymaker behind the Nazi Santas is unimpressed with the unwanted attention their product is receiving. "We are surprised that a Santa pointing skyward has been associated with the Hitler salute," he told Bild.

cgh

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:04:05 PM »

Osensitive1

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »

Have always really liked the pancake bunny.