Educational

Author Topic: remember when  (Read 3360 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: remember when
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
I remember when we had only a single TV channel in Finland. The second was up and running but their broadcasts were too weak for us to receive. On a good and clear day, we could see static resembling Sweden's TV1.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
Our Mercedes back in the 60s didn't have seat belts installed. When I was three or four my dad used to take me with him into town. I would sit in the front, next to him, without any kind of protection. Back then it was the normal state of things but today the naysayers would get their knickers in a twist and my dad would probably be jailed for endangering my life. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 11:37:56 AM »
Our Mercedes back in the 60s didn't have seat belts installed. When I was three or four my dad used to take me with him into town. I would sit in the front, next to him, without any kind of protection. Back then it was the normal state of things but today the naysayers would get their knickers in a twist and my dad would probably be jailed for endangering my life. :laugh:
Kids are required to wear helmets to ride bicycles in most states now.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »
I think it's the same here.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
I think it's the same here.

Yup, up to 15.  :-\

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »

I never learned to ride a bike because we had no sidewalks on our street and weren't allowed to go far from the house unsupervised.   :dunno:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »

I never learned to ride a bike because we had no sidewalks on our street and weren't allowed to go far from the house unsupervised.   :dunno:
We used to hike in the hills around Pittsburg CA trying to find Garter snakes and King snakes while avoiding Rattlesnakes. Once we found a dead decomposing Fox, I was surprised at how small it was.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »

We used to hike in the hills around Pittsburg CA trying to find Garter snakes and King snakes while avoiding Rattlesnakes. Once we found a dead decomposing Fox, I was surprised at how small it was.

Growing up I would spend at least 2 hours a weekday and 8 hours or more every Saturday and Sunday hiking around the old logging roads in the forest behind the house I grew up in outside Seattle.  Birds, squirrels, all kinds of things.  I once found the head and legs of a poached Elk and watched them decompose over several weeks.

P7PSP

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
That ^^^ is good education.  :thumbup:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »

By the time I was in college I was defleshing and disarticulating dog and cat skeletons.  A good education, but not one that screams "normal".  :evillaugh:

P7PSP

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »

By the time I was in college I was defleshing and disarticulating dog and cat skeletons.  A good education, but not one that screams "normal".  :evillaugh:
You can stay here, but you can't be I2s own Temperance Brennan. odeon has already claimed that niche.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »
Birthday cakes with coins baked inside. You got to keep any money that you found in your piece of cake. Nothing says safety like baking choking hazards inside food. Gotta love the 70's.  :thumbup:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »

Was that in the context of your college courses, or was it just your hobby at the time? Should I be afraid?   :hide:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

TheoK

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
Birthday cakes with coins baked inside. You got to keep any money that you found in your piece of cake. Nothing says safety like baking choking hazards inside food. Gotta love the 70's.  :thumbup:

Oh, I remember some bonbons that I ate in the 70's. They were read and made my shit look like blood. We were on vacation, but my dad drove me over 100 kms home to town to the hospital to find out that it was nothing wrong with me. They don't make any nice colourants that colours your piss and shit anymore either.