Author Topic: MidlifeAspie  (Read 14109 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: MidlifeAspie
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »
I asked before not sure itf you saw it,  i am very curious how WP deals with the flood of spambots registering accounts they must get tons of them here we get six or seven a week sometimes a lot more but run the ip's and emails against spam lists to keep them out.  WP is automated am I right?   sounds like a nightmare. 

Of the 48,000 members the site claims to have I am sure more than half are spambots.  At least once a day we have to ban one that actually starts sending out PM spam, but the rest never seem to actually do anything.  If you scroll through the member list you will see that more than half of the members never post a single post.

It's the same here with the non posting members but the last couple years we have made an effort to only let real people join. Just rejected one that was on the list.  I use mostly this site http://www.stopforumspam.com/  it's pretty good there are others too though.  Too much for you to check them all but if you have some ones you want to it's a good spot.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

midlifeaspie

« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I asked before not sure itf you saw it,  i am very curious how WP deals with the flood of spambots registering accounts they must get tons of them here we get six or seven a week sometimes a lot more but run the ip's and emails against spam lists to keep them out.  WP is automated am I right?   sounds like a nightmare. 

Of the 48,000 members the site claims to have I am sure more than half are spambots.  At least once a day we have to ban one that actually starts sending out PM spam, but the rest never seem to actually do anything.  If you scroll through the member list you will see that more than half of the members never post a single post.

It's the same here with the non posting members but the last couple years we have made an effort to only let real people join. Just rejected one that was on the list.  I use mostly this site http://www.stopforumspam.com/  it's pretty good there are others too though.  Too much for you to check them all but if you have some ones you want to it's a good spot.   

Thanks for the link, and sorry I didn't answer earlier.  I must have missed it.  :autism:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »

Of the 48,000 members the site claims to have I am sure more than half are soph.

fixed  :viking:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »

Of the 48,000 members the site claims to have I am sure more than half are soph.

fixed  :viking:

Not quite half.  Maybe a third  :asthing:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
Just noticed that 6 of the 11 accounts created since I joined have never been posted on.  That's some :tinfoil:  :wanker:

I wonder if they are waiting on the confirmation email?  I never did receive one.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
Do new members still have to wait to have their accounts activated?

if so then I think that should be scrapped now

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
What? Here? Yes, they have to wait.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »
Just noticed that 6 of the 11 accounts created since I joined have never been posted on.  That's some :tinfoil:  :wanker:

I wonder if they are waiting on the confirmation email?  I never did receive one.

You didn't get an email where you had to click on a link to Intensity to activate your account?

There's a drop-down menu when we approve new accounts, so it's possible that you were approved without needing to activate your account.  You wouldn't have gotten the activation email if that's what happened.  I think that it's possible that for some people, that email might go into their spam email folder, while others might use a fake email address or one with a typo and never get their activation email for that reason.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »
I didn't get one either. That's why it took me a short while before I made my first post.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »
How do you do it?  Being a mod at wp would make me want to go on a spree :litigious:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

midlifeaspie

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
How do you do it?  Being a mod at wp would make me want to go on a spree :litigious:

I blow off steam at I2, and don't expect anything in return for my services.  Not support, not community, not appreciation or gratitude or patience.

Come to think of it, I might just go on a spree  :twitch:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2011, 07:24:50 PM »
How do you do it?  Being a mod at wp would make me want to go on a spree :litigious:

I blow off steam at I2, and don't expect anything in return for my services.  Not support, not community, not appreciation or gratitude or patience.

Come to think of it, I might just go on a spree  :twitch:

I need to get to bed.  I read you last sentence as, "Come to think of it, I might just go pee on a spread"  
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
How do you do it?  Being a mod at wp would make me want to go on a spree :litigious:

I blow off steam at I2, and don't expect anything in return for my services.  Not support, not community, not appreciation or gratitude or patience.

Come to think of it, I might just go on a spree  :twitch:

I need to get to bed.  I read you last sentence as, "Come to think of it, I might just go pee on a spread"  

Be sure to watch the Royal Wedding tomorrow, Your Majesty, to see that protocol is followed to the letter!   :viking:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »

I blow off steam at I2, and don't expect anything in return for my services.  Not support, not community, not appreciation or gratitude or patience.

Can I give you some pointers as to where? :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »

If it ever comes to it then can i join in or at least watch?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap