Educational

Author Topic: A Very Controversial Topic Is Now Happening  (Read 995 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
A Very Controversial Topic Is Now Happening
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
This is from The Telegraph, a London newspaper.  In full disclosure, I have increased a headline and sub-headline's font size and removed 4 lines referring to related articles in the Telegraph.  

Disabled mother could be sterilised without her consent
A woman with a learning disability could be forcibly sterilised after she gives birth this week to stop her becoming pregnant again.
By Tim Ross, Social Affairs Editor 6:11PM GMT 13 Feb 2011

The secretive Court of Protection will rule on the woman’s treatment on Tuesday, in a rare open hearing scheduled because of the overwhelming “public interest” in understanding the case.

She is due to give birth by caesarean section the following day and could undergo an operation to sterilise her at the same time if the court agrees.

Disability campaigners described the prospect of such a “drastic” step as “quite wrong”.

The woman will be represented by the official solicitor, a government lawyer who acts for those who cannot instruct their own legal team because they lack capacity.

The patient’s NHS trust and council have made an application to the Court of Protection to decide whether she is incapable of making decisions about contraception herself and if so, whether she should be sterilised by means of “tubal ligation”.

The “non therapeutic sterilisation” operation would involve severing and sealing her fallopian tubes and would take place at the same time as the caesarean.

Critics argue that sterilisation is too radical a procedure to be conducted without consent while other options such as a long-term contraceptive solution should be considered.

David Congdon, head of policy at the disability charity Mencap, said sterilisation without consent was “awful and unacceptable” but rare in modern times.

“It is a pretty drastic step to sterilise someone against their will simply because they lack the mental capacity themselves,” he said.

“It is a gross invasion of someone’s basic rights unless there are clear medical grounds and there do not appear to be in this case.

“Using sterilisation as a form of contraception is totally unacceptable. There are other methods of contraception,” he said. “Years ago there were lots of cases like this but we hear of very few cases these days.”

He urged the court to “tread very carefully” before coming to a decision.

Due to legal restrictions, no details about the woman’s identity, family or location can be published.

But court documents stress “the legitimate public interest” in the understanding the case and the issues which it raises about the powers of the state to order “serious medical treatment” for a patient who is unable to give their own consent.

Most Court of Protection cases are heard behind closed doors at its north London offices.

The court has the power to make life or death decisions on behalf of some of the most vulnerable people in society.

Under the Mental Capacity Act 2005, the Court has the power to decide on medical treatments for individuals judged by psychiatrists to lack mental capacity.

Cases that come before the court include proposals to withhold or withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration from a person in a permanent vegetative state.

The court can also order “terminations of pregnancy” for women who lack capacity to consent, as well as “experimental or innovative treatment” and medical procedures that require the use of force to restrain the patient.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: A Very Controversial Topic Is Now Happening
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
That's horrible.  Too bad there aren't more details about the woman but all it says is that she has a "learning disability."

If they decide that it's OK to sterilize her, then who would be next?

Scrapheap

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »
Given the number of stupid and/or crazy women out there who shouldn't be having kids, this is a step in the right direction.  :thumbup:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
This does not surprise me. However, it is interesting to note that no one in the article argued whether the woman would have the ability to care for a child. If she can care for a child, it is hypocrisy for the government to insist on sterilization. If not, then that is one of the issues that should be raised in this case.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Osensitive1

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
Civilized society doesn't sterilize for being found unfit as a parent, mental handicap or none. Children may be removed from custody. Thought this didn't really happen anymore.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
I think I'd have to know more before I could make a decision on this one.  :-\

I've seen alot of women that should have considered sterilization, many of who definately have the mental capacity, but still shouldn't breed. :zombiefuck:

Just because a someone has the ability to procreate doesn't mean that they should.

The only thing about this that disturbes me is who gets to decide? And where do you draw the line?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:44:23 AM »
It bothers me very much that the state thinks it can decide this.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »
Not enough info about her

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 03:24:18 AM »
Not enough info about her

True. And that is the scary part.

The court system was meant to be a representation of society's opinion on what should happen. When details in cases like this one are witheld, it makes me ever so suspicious.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:46:59 AM »
I can not find out any more info on her.  What i cant understand is,  if she is unable to make this decision,  was she able to give consent to sex in the first place?  If not,  who were her carers at the time?  shouldn't somebody be prosecuted for taking advantage of her? ...i guess we will find out more...

while i was trying to find out more about her i found this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8304011/Behind-the-closed-doors-of-Englands-most-secretive-court.html
it is about the court in question and titled 'behind closed doors'
i was infuriated by the following passage
It also gives the Court power to order procedures “where that procedure or treatment must be carried out using a degree of force to restrain the person concerned”.
It was under this provision that Sir Nicholas Wall, the President of the Family Division sitting in the Court of Protection, made a landmark ruling last year that a woman suffering from cancer of the uterus must receive treatment even though she has a phobia of hospitals and needles.
He ruled that doctors should be allowed to sedate the 55 year-old in her own home, using a drug hidden in a glass of Ribena, then detain her in a ward following the essential treatment, because she has a learning difficulty and so was judged to be incapable of deciding on her own “best interests”. 

can't quite comprehend the impact this could have on the woman concerned...i mean she has a phobia about hospitals....sure she is gonna feel fine about them now isn't she!! not    IMO they have just reinforced her fears.
blah blah blah

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 03:55:17 AM »
I can not find out any more info on her.  What i cant understand is,  if she is unable to make this decision,  was she able to give consent to sex in the first place?  If not,  who were her carers at the time?  shouldn't somebody be prosecuted for taking advantage of her? ...i guess we will find out more...

while i was trying to find out more about her i found this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8304011/Behind-the-closed-doors-of-Englands-most-secretive-court.html
it is about the court in question and titled 'behind closed doors'
i was infuriated by the following passage
It also gives the Court power to order procedures “where that procedure or treatment must be carried out using a degree of force to restrain the person concerned”.
It was under this provision that Sir Nicholas Wall, the President of the Family Division sitting in the Court of Protection, made a landmark ruling last year that a woman suffering from cancer of the uterus must receive treatment even though she has a phobia of hospitals and needles.
He ruled that doctors should be allowed to sedate the 55 year-old in her own home, using a drug hidden in a glass of Ribena, then detain her in a ward following the essential treatment, because she has a learning difficulty and so was judged to be incapable of deciding on her own “best interests”. 

can't quite comprehend the impact this could have on the woman concerned...i mean she has a phobia about hospitals....sure she is gonna feel fine about them now isn't she!! not    IMO they have just reinforced her fears.

Oh, so now Deprivation of Liberty is now legal?

Fucking great.

Let's start operating on people with HIV so they can't have sex and spread HIV.

I understand there is a line in protecting an unborn child, and the parents ability to care for it. But hell, let's sterilise all the uneducated people living in poverty....uggh...where is the line?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »
That is true that someone must have been taking advantage of her if she's THAT mentally retarded

I mean bad enough to be even more unfit to be a mother than the millions of shit mothers there already are? NOT someone you should be fucking - if she's that bad then shge must be practically a child

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
Knew a woman who wanted to get that done with her 17 year old daughter. I've met the daughter too, autistic, yeah, but capable to function in society, capable of a learning job in catering.

I don't know if this woman succeeded. Legally she definitely should not be able to get that done to her daughter. Only reason a person mentally incapable of making decisions can be sterilised without their consent in this country is when the life of the woman would be at severe risk if she were to get pregnant.

I was shocked a woman wanted to decide that for her 17 year old. Most 17 year olds are not capable to raise a kid. Weird thing was the woman was working at a centre to encourage people on the spectrum in being capable of living their own life.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Osensitive1

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »
Sometimes people are handicap to a level which allows govenment to make medical decisions, if they have no legal guardian. However, there are other logn term birth control choices available.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:26:37 AM »
Sometimes people are handicap to a level which allows govenment to make medical decisions, if they have no legal guardian. However, there are other logn term birth control choices available.

Yes, I know situations like that exist, but I am wondering why so extreme measures are being taken and how severe this woman's condition actually is.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein