Author Topic: Introductions suck  (Read 1477 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Introductions suck
« on: October 28, 2006, 07:00:38 PM »
Well I think so, anyway. I never do much of an intro on a forum, but I'll try.

I'm an old fart, fifty one, and I'm on the spectrum somewhere, but undiagnosed professionally. I'm a late bloomer type, married with two young kids, five and seven, both diagnosed with PDD. Last week my seven year old son was further evaluated and they added ADD and Asperger's Syndrome to his piles of crap to wade through.

I'm mostly retired, not working right now. I started my work career in music, playing guitar, but as everyone else improved I reached a certain point and never got any better. I did my first paid gig at fifteen on bass in a country band. I became more interested in the sound gear and ended up turning into the sound tech guy, working the PA system for hire.

By the time I was twenty three, I had acquired a semi-truck full of PA gear and worked Rock, Pop, Metal, and Folk shows of the late seventies and through the eighties. I was pretty damn good (obsessive) at my chosen profession and I loved it. I did that for eighteen years, but in my mid thirties, I had begun to make good money with my camera, which was my main hobby, growing up. That is, when I wasn't playing guitar or gardening, which is also a lifelong interest. As I became more successful taking pics of the rockers I had been doing sound for the previous years, I gave up the sound reinforcement business. It's much less gear to carry around when you take pictures for a living. 8)

I don't really play guitar anymore, except to amuse myself. I'm still bad ass at getting the awesome rock/metal sounds out of any gear I touch. I'm also into collecting music, I have an enormous CD collection by most standards, along with a serious interest in vinyl and associated analog gear. I never turn off my music.

When I got out of the music business, I went to work at a big company taking portraits of families. The music related location shoots were much more fun, but the families paid the bills really well and I am addicted to eating well. Last year, my position was "taken apart", sort of, and given to three part timers and the old Hoss who made too much money and had a decent benefits package was ousted. Actually they were quite loyal to me, after all I had given them almost fourteen years, and  they offered me one of the part time positions, but I could not swallow that pill and 'retired'.

Enough of this crap!

Here I am. :green:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 07:04:21 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Introductions suck
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 07:07:01 PM »
Hi DirtDawg.  I'm glad you found us.  I am a parent as well.  I have a ten year old daughter who has autism.

richard

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »
hello and welcome dirtdawg. i use to be waterdogs over on wrongplanet.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 07:30:12 PM »
Thanks, guy.

I'm still active on several fora and WP is one of them, along with a couple of manufacturers of Pro Audio gear and a music collectors board.

Good to see you 'waterdogs'. I was wondering what happened to you. Not everyone leaves a hole when they leave over there, but you did.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 07:33:30 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

richard

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 07:44:50 PM »
well i left because engmatic oddity tattled and got one of my topics removed in the adult asperger issues. that was the final straw i tell you. plus it's like a goddamn soap opera over there. i gotta get away from that drama. i hope you enjoy posting here :)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 07:54:47 PM »
I remember the thread. It was funny, but most people have no sense of humor.

But it was in the adult section, for god's sake! I don't understand people, sometimes.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 08:28:51 PM »
hello.

hey are you the sensitive type, or do you consider yourself to be thick skinned?
Misunderstood.

richard

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:39:34 PM »
I remember the thread. It was funny, but most people have no sense of humor.
But it was in the adult section, for god's sake! I don't understand people, sometimes.
oh there was nothing wrong with that thread, engmatic oddity thought it was "unmature" so he felt it was his responsibility to tattle having it removed. thats a bitch move right there. anyways, i'm over it i say let the kids and the phonys talk to each other over there

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »
hello.

hey are you the sensitive type, or do you consider yourself to be thick skinned?

Wow.
Someone else has already asked me the same question. I'll answer in similar fashion.

I have fairly tough nut leather and don't bleed easily. Of course I have sensitive parts, but I don't let just anyone touch them. The reality is that I'm so far past giving a shit what anyone thinks of my life, that I seem thick skinned to most people. In truth, pain only barely hurts, now. If pain doesn't involve my kids I have a rough time working up a good 'care hard', anyway.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 09:50:57 PM »
What is Karma and why do I have one?

hiroshima

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 09:51:09 PM »
hi dirtdawg 8), I'm glad you joined.

Explain your avatars please, I've always been curious. 

I am en_una_isla at WP.

Let's celebrate the new guy :cake:!!

hiroshima

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:53:23 PM »
karma is a controversial feature of this board where people can "award" each other with a karma point if they like you and/or your posts.

That's right, it's popularity contest :wanker:...

((((I've never used the wanker smilie before!!!  Let's have more cake:  :cake:)))

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »
hi dirtdawg 8), I'm glad you joined.

Explain your avatars please, I've always been curious. 
Hi, Shima,

Thanks!

Avatars? I just like girls, well women, now that I'm all grown up.  :eyebrows:

Why would an old dried up headbanger want to portray himself as a hot young chick?

I really don't think of it as a pic of some alter ego of me, but I do like to have something pleasant to look at in a thread. Besides, photography is a hobby and a stunning image is always intriguing to me.  Eye contact is not stressful in a still pic. Hope others don't mind, too much.
When I'm having good days, you'll see pics of women, but if you see a monster or scary clown, I'm going through something tough.
Nothing subtle about me, I'm just right out in the open.

I forgot to mention: this one's Katie Melua, a hot modern jazz artist, who just happens to be gorgeous.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 10:22:08 PM by DirtDawg »

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 11:39:13 PM »
Hey DirtDawg!! glad you made it here!!!

Have a beer dude!! :beergrin:

It's a good thing you did'nt decide to have a Kate Beckinsale avatar. I've enjoyed having a clean computer screen for quite some time now!!  :handjob:

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 12:44:41 AM »
Well I think so, anyway. I never do much of an intro on a forum, but I'll try.

I'm an old fart, fifty one, and I'm on the spectrum somewhere, but undiagnosed professionally. I'm a late bloomer type, married with two young kids, five and seven, both diagnosed with PDD. Last week my seven year old son was further evaluated and they added ADD and Asperger's Syndrome to his piles of crap to wade through.

I'm mostly retired, not working right now. I started my work career in music, playing guitar, but as everyone else improved I reached a certain point and never got any better. I did my first paid gig at fifteen on bass in a country band. I became more interested in the sound gear and ended up turning into the sound tech guy, working the PA system for hire.

By the time I was twenty three, I had acquired a semi-truck full of PA gear and worked Rock, Pop, Metal, and Folk shows of the late seventies and through the eighties. I was pretty damn good (obsessive) at my chosen profession and I loved it. I did that for eighteen years, but in my mid thirties, I had begun to make good money with my camera, which was my main hobby, growing up. That is, when I wasn't playing guitar or gardening, which is also a lifelong interest. As I became more successful taking pics of the rockers I had been doing sound for the previous years, I gave up the sound reinforcement business. It's much less gear to carry around when you take pictures for a living. 8)

I don't really play guitar anymore, except to amuse myself. I'm still bad ass at getting the awesome rock/metal sounds out of any gear I touch. I'm also into collecting music, I have an enormous CD collection by most standards, along with a serious interest in vinyl and associated analog gear. I never turn off my music.

When I got out of the music business, I went to work at a big company taking portraits of families. The music related location shoots were much more fun, but the families paid the bills really well and I am addicted to eating well. Last year, my position was "taken apart", sort of, and given to three part timers and the old Hoss who made too much money and had a decent benefits package was ousted. Actually they were quite loyal to me, after all I had given them almost fourteen years, and  they offered me one of the part time positions, but I could not swallow that pill and 'retired'.

Enough of this crap!

Here I am. :green:

Sounds like you've had some fun jobs. Hope I do someday. Welcome to Intensity28)