Author Topic: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.  (Read 25217 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.
« Reply #645 on: October 16, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »
CBC's posts about the earthquake and my general nosiness led me to this Unites States Geological Service site.  It tracks all the 2.5 and greater magnitude for the last 7 days.  Pretty interesting.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #646 on: October 19, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/woman-wants-deer-crossing-signs-moved-deer-cross-133853876.html

Donna called in to a North Dakota radio show saying it's irresponsible to have the signs in areas of such high traffic

We've written many stories about smart and compassionate animals, but A woman who called into a North Dakota radio show is giving far too much credit to deer.

She called in to Fargo-area station Y94 Playhouse to complain about the "deer crossing" signs being in high-traffic areas and highways after she had been in three car accidents involving deer. She said all of the accidents happened shortly after she saw a "deer crossing" sign.

"Why are we encouraging deer to cross at the interstate?" said the woman who was only identified as Donna. She understands animals need to cross roads to find food, but said, "It's so irresponsible of us to allow these deer crossings to be in areas where deer are so likely to be struck by oncoming traffic, wouldn't you agree?"

Most of us seem to know that the signs are made for drivers so they know to be extra mindful of the animals in certain areas. This is a fact the radio show host told her after asking if she was kidding.

Donna said she has written letters to local TV stations and newspapers in the past, but her complaint has fallen on deaf ears.

"The government put the deer crossings there, they can direct the deer populations anywhere they want to by moving that deer crossing sign," Donna said. Her request and solution is simple - move the signs to lower traffic areas.

The hosts found it difficult to explain to the woman the purpose of the signs and just quietly laughed at her. They eventually gave up trying to explain things to Donna and told her they would help spread the message. They certainly have done that. The video posted online has about 2.5 million views.

Donna isn't the only person who thinks deer crossing signs in high-traffic areas are a problem. Indiana resident Tim Abbott submitted a letter to a local newspaper last year suggesting that the signs be moved because a lot of deer get hit by cars in that area.

The letter got a lot of attention when it aired on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno in September, 2011. Star Trek actor George Takei then posted it to his Facebook page in June 2012, according to Snopes.com. In a follow-up article, also published in the NWI Times, Abbott said he wanted to get a "rise out of people," but didn't say if he intended it to be humorous.

However, nearly a year after writing the letter, his pick-up truck collided with a deer near a sign. This prompted his daughter to pen a letter to the same paper asking, "What is it going to take to get the deer crossing signs removed?"

So he has some suggestions for officials.

He told the Times, "If they don't want to move that sign, maybe they could post another sign, kind of a warning to deer to look both ways before crossing the street."

I've also seen an example like this in Canada, but it doesn't involve deer. At the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in Toronto, there was about a nine-square-metre patch of grass. Surrounding the grass on the two sides not bordered by water was a fence that was about half a metre high. And in the patch of grass was a sign that said "No geese allowed." How are the geese supposed to know they aren't allowed?

Unfortunately for Donna and the Abbotts, people will be the ones who pay for the deer and geese not going where we want.

However, if they are right people all over Canada will most likely be eager to move a lot of deer and moose crossing signs.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #647 on: October 20, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
I guess people like that put the "duh" in Canaduh and North Duhkota.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #648 on: October 24, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »
this should go in the useful random fact thread, but I can't locate it right now.  The things your learn when you're a poll commissioner.  Louisiana (and other states, I'm sure) has an Address Confidentiality Program.  If you have a stalker, a restraining order against someone, are a police officer, etc. this applies.  You can request that your home address not be treated as a public record.  This would not prevent the police or government obtaining it for legal reasons, but it does provide a measure of security from the baddies.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #649 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:04 AM »
this should go in the useful random fact thread, but I can't locate it right now.  The things your learn when you're a poll commissioner.  Louisiana (and other states, I'm sure) has an Address Confidentiality Program.  If you have a stalker, a restraining order against someone, are a police officer, etc. this applies.  You can request that your home address not be treated as a public record.  This would not prevent the police or government obtaining it for legal reasons, but it does provide a measure of security from the baddies.

I did not know that.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »

Can one consider salesmen as baddies too?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #652 on: October 26, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #653 on: October 26, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »

Not if they're sexy and turn up on your doorstep.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:12:35 PM by Queen Victoria »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #654 on: November 05, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
Damn, the things you don't learn unless you have a computer.

Born in Cameron Parish, Louisiana, Kershaw did not learn English until the age of eight. By that time, he had mastered the fiddle, which he played from the age of five, and was on his way to teaching himself to play 28 instruments.[1] His first gig was at a local bar, the Bucket of Blood, where he was accompanied by his mother on guitar.

Kershaw became interested in Cajun music during parties his parents would hold on the family's houseboat in Louisiana, where he first heard Cajun bands playing the music.

Doug grew up surrounded by Cajun fiddle and accordion music. After teaching his brother, Rusty (born Russell; February 2, 1938), to play guitar, he formed a band, the Continental Playboys, with Rusty and older brother Peewee (Nelson Kershaw) in 1948. With the departure of Peewee from the group, in the early '50s, Rusty & Doug continued to perform as a duo. In 1955, when Doug was 19 years old, he and Rusty performed on the Louisiana Hayride radio broadcast in Shreveport, Louisiana. The two were so popular that they were invited to perform at the WWVA Jamboree (later renamed Jamboree U.S.A.), in Wheeling, West Virginia.

Although the brothers initially sang in French, J.D. Miller, owner of the Feature record label, persuaded them to incorporate songs in English into their repertoire. In 1955, Doug and Rusty recorded their first single, "So Lovely, Baby." Released on the Hickory label, the tune went to number 14 on the country music charts. Later that same year, Doug and Rusty were invited to become cast members of the Louisiana Hayride cast. The Kershaws appeared at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee and became regular members of the Opry cast the following year.[1][2]

Despite the demands of his music career, Doug enrolled in McNeese State University, in Lake Charles, Louisiana, where he earned an undergraduate degree in Mathematics. At the peak of their early career, in 1958, Doug and Rusty both enlisted in the United States Army. They devoted their attention to the military until their discharge three years later.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #655 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:24 AM »

Not if they're sexy and turn up on your doorstep.
That's when hell freezes over.

I've had salesmen on my doorstep, thinking that they were sexy, but, there is not much less sexy than that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #656 on: November 06, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
Will you get a new avatar, QV? I'm starting to worry about you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #657 on: November 06, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
Will you get a new avatar, QV? I'm starting to worry about you.

:indeed:   I hope we soon see our Queen's face back at the Palace window!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #658 on: November 07, 2012, 12:31:41 AM »
I'm driving the Jag to the repair shop today. It needs winter tyres and some TLC.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #659 on: November 09, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
Oh, the inhumanity and cruelty of it all.  How much more can he suffer?

Where did we put our tiny little violin? Poor, poor Anders Breivik — the mass-murdering monster who killed 77 people in Norway in July 2011 — has written a 27-page letter outlining the "inhumane" conditions in his remote prison. Breivik, whose "poorly decorated" cell (his words, not ours) is spacious by prison standards, says that his coffee is always cold, he doesn't have a remote control, and — OMG SOMEONE GET AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL ON THE PHONE! — he isn't allowed to have moisturizer!!! "I highly doubt that there are worse detention facilities in Norway," he wrote. Breivik has 21 years left on his sentence, which can be indefinitely extended, so we hope he gets used to chapped hands and chilly coffee