Author Topic: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.  (Read 25220 times)

TheoK

Yes, it struck me too. It sounds a little bit "singing" - like Swedish or Norwegian.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
The singing way, I heard my teachers use too. Even more rhythmic. But, they did not have the Scandinavian accent soundwise.

When you hear people speak Latin, there is a huge difference in the way it sounds, depending on the origin of the speaker too. And on what choices are made of course.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

Ancient Greek had a grave accent, like Swedish and Norwegian, though the stress was usually at the last or next last syllables of a word.

For Latin I have chosen the pronunciation that is supposed to have been used in the oldest Latin.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
A bacon basket!

Simple and clever. "Weave" the bacon strips around the bottom of a muffin pan covered by aluminum foil. Bake and you have delightful bacon bowls. Stuff it with some salad or whatever your culinary creativity can think of.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Ancient Greek had a grave accent, like Swedish and Norwegian, though the stress was usually at the last or next last syllables of a word.

For Latin I have chosen the pronunciation that is supposed to have been used in the oldest Latin.

Which is about as easy to do as to know how Middle Egyptian was actually spoken.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
I think Lit should learn Cling-on  :zoinks:
blah blah blah

TheoK

Which is about as easy to do as to know how Middle Egyptian was actually spoken.

Well, not really. The Romans actually documented how some words were pronunciated. You can also with some certainty deduce the pronunciation by comparing with other languages.

TheoK

I think Lit should learn Cling-on  :zoinks:

Nah, Latin is much cooler. Take Virginia's motto: Sic semper tyrannis The literal translation is "So always tyrants" But sic has a much wider meaning than English and German "so" and Swedish "så" (which, btw, Proto-Germanic swa(s) also had). You simply don't need a verb to construct a correct sentence with it.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
jIyaj
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
jIyaj

Said Bodie as she poured that ninth glass of wine!  :wine:

DISCLAIMER:  I do not profess to know for sure that Bodie was drinking wine when she posted the above.  :angel:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

TheoK

In vino veritas - in aqua sanitas  :angel:

TheoK

No, wait, it's dative, so it should be in aquae.

Damn, they shouldn't post on Wiki when they don't know the correct forms  :thumbdn:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot

Well, not really. The Romans actually documented how some words were pronunciated. You can also with some certainty deduce the pronunciation by comparing with other languages.

Yes, really. While you can deduce some by making educated guesses, a dead language is a dead language and the problem is not unlike that of explaining a colour to a blind. There is no common reference because languages evolve.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.

Funny, looked in to pronunciation of ancient Greek after I read this.
First link I found said that the ancient Greek apparently spoke the "eu" sound as a Dutch "ui". That would give the sound of ancient Greek a Dutch accent.

Have known a fair bit of classic language teachers, and the choices they made seemed kinda random in the end to me, since they all sounded that different.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

You must learn it from a real expert  ;)

The pronunciation rules for Middle High German, for instance (13th Century):

*w is pronounced as in current English
*ch is always "thick" like in Bach
*ei is pronounced as in current Dutch
*r is pronounced as in "proper" Swedish
*sp, st etc are pronounced as they are spelled
*diu (determined feminine article for third person singular) is pronounced as it is spelled
*h is pronounced something like ch
*all wowels are short, except for the ones with an ^ over them
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:05:17 AM by Lit »