Educational

Author Topic: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.  (Read 27057 times)

Offline PuppetSockPenguin

• Superlurker of the penguin elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • experience is memory is experience is
Re: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
Best things about being an adult, #10345: If you want a Nintendo DS, you can get it yourself instead of having to beg your parents to buy one. AND it doesn't take all year to save up for it.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #316 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
I do not eat much meat.  I just don't like it
that much.  Chicken is ok and i like a bloody steak.

The only meat i won't eat on principal is veal. Depriving baby cows of iron is cruel.

I have a lot of respect for people who hunt their food.   It is better than just going to the supermarket and not even thinking about where it comes from.
:thumbup:

Hunters often are amazed that I, as a veggie, am not shocked by hunting.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
A Utah hunter’s dog went from man’s best friend to his worst enemy Sunday.

According to KSL TV, Two men were duck hunting on the Great Salt Lake when one of the would-be duck assassins climbed out of the boat to either set or retrieve decoys.

Unfortunately before plunging into the water, he forgot to unload his 12-gauge. The dog stepped on the shotgun, dispersing 27 pellets into the man’s buttocks about 10 feet away.

The 46-year-old was still recovering Wednesday, and authorities said he only suffered minor injuries partly because he was wearing waders.

Now, I don’t know what this guy was taught in his gun safety course—maybe he needs a refresher—but I vividly recall being told that if you leave your gun for any reason, leave it unloaded.

The name of the “victim” has not been released, nor do I expect it to be. As for the pooch? Well, I guess that’s what you call a real American Gun Dog.

http://www.gundogmag.com/2011/12/01/dog-shoots-owner-in-buttocks/

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #318 on: December 03, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »
I can't believe I just stumbled upon this on Ebay (I wasn't looking for this I swear :laugh:)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boyfriend-Pillow-54-x-50Hcm-/180757863700?pt=AU_Home_Decor&hash=item2a16021d14

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #319 on: December 03, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »
I found this:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #320 on: December 03, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
I went googling for "mouse teats" to make a picture post for another thread.  Instead I found evidence that mice may be extraterrestrials, at least female mice.  Definitely weird and strangely funny.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
Cars crash on highway in Japan yesterday(?). Nobody got seriously hurt but 8 Ferraris, 2 Mercedes', a Lamborghini Diablo, a Nissan GT-R and a Toyota Prius got totalled.  :santa:
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #322 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
Well, I guess it is possible to dance if you have two left feet.  But then again he also has 2 right feet.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:31:50 PM by Queen Victoria »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #323 on: December 18, 2011, 08:25:39 AM »
Redheads may be stereotyped as having fiery tempers, but those tempers may turn to fear and loathing when they walk through the door of a dentist's office, according to research published in the Journal of the American Dental Association. The study shows that people with a specific gene that often occurs in redheads tend to experience heightened anxiety when they pop in for a regular teeth cleaning.

The details: The study's authors recruited 144 people for the study, 67 of whom were natural redheads, and 77 who were dark-haired. The participants answered survey questions about any fears or anxieties related to dental visits, and the researchers took blood samples that they later tested for specific gene variants common in people with red hair. People with one specific gene, MC1R, were more than twice as likely to report that they avoided dental appointments because of fear and anxiety than people without that gene. Of the 85 people in the study with MC1R, 65 were redheads.

What it means: It's possible, say the researchers, that redheads with the gene in question tend to be resistant to certain pain medications. This could mean redheads are more prone than most to experience a difficult dental visit, affecting their expectations about future appointments. Redheaded or not, most of us have probably had reservations about going to the dentist at some point in our lives. But don't let fear prevent you from getting your twice-yearly checkups. Recent studies have linked periodontal disease to a wide variety of chronic diseases, including heart disease, strokes, and type 2 diabetes. If it's been a while since you've visited the dentist, you might be pleasantly surprised at the experience. "Things don't hurt anymore," says Kimberly A. Harms, DDS, consumer advisor for the American Dental Association. Anesthesia has become much more effective, she says, and patients don't have to experience the pain that used to be common in dental procedures.

Here are some ways to ease angst about the dentist's office:

Know if you're an early bird or a late riser

Schedule your appointments during the time of day that's best for you, recommends Dr. Harms. "Come in the morning if you're a morning person, or late in the afternoon if you're an evening person," she says. You'll be in a better mood and better frame of mind.

Prepare the night before

Get a good night's sleep, Dr. Harms adds. If you have trouble sleeping the night before a visit, she suggests calling your dentist's office and asking if they can provide you with a sleep aid.

Talk, lots

Make a list of what it is that bothers you about going to the dentist, whether it's fear of painful procedures or lack of control over what's going on, and talk about it with your dentist. "The most important thing you can do is communicate with everyone, right from the beginning," says Dr. Harms. "A lot of people come in with anxiety and fears, and they're embarrassed," she says, "but we do this all the time and we understand." Dr. Harms also suggests developing signals, such as raising your hand, between you and your dentist, in the event that you do start to feel pain or discomfort.

Distract yourself

Dentists offices are getting decidedly high-tech these days, providing patients with headphones, MP3 players, and even virtual-reality goggles that distract patients while they're in a chair. Dr. Harms says her office provides goggles that play movies for patients, which are especially helpful for lengthy procedures like root canals. If your dentist prefers a low-tech atmosphere, bring your own headphones and music. It will help drown out unpleasant sounds like drills, suction tubes, and anything else that can raise your blood pressure.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #324 on: December 18, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
A doctor called Dr. Harms? :D

I have red hair. And am an anxious sort. When I had major jaw surgery (to correct an overbite) the nurses kept telling me to push the button for the pain meds. One nurse even put my hand on the control thing for it. Then when I came home I was prescribed two types of pain meds but I only took them for a couple of days because they made me feel sick. I wasn't in any real pain, more uncomfortable than anything else. I went to my appointment with the surgeon a week later and he was surprised that I didn't ask for more pain meds and that I was driving. Guess all that is different from dentist pain though.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »

Not sure as of why I have the urge, yet following up that lure at the moment/duh, to post this clip but, ja.. I kinda plus/yay Monty Don in all the programs (shown on the BBC/other channels) he's involved in/with.. and also.. dunno, like the positive vibe Havana brings here..

(um, surry :P)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #326 on: December 18, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »
Cuba, for some reason unknown to me, is the only Spanish speaking country I have any desire to visit.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #327 on: December 19, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »
Costa Rica is suppose to be halfway heaven, I've heard. Spanish speaking folks there but one could probably communicate in English there too (not sure).

No hablo español aqui though. Muy muy poco.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #328 on: December 24, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »
I couldn't find bodies funny thread, so here:

A lady walks into a tattoo parlor and asks the artist if she can get two tattoos. The artist says, "Sure."

She tells him that on her left inner thigh she would like a turkey, and beneath it she would like it to say "Happy Thanksgiving." On her right inner thigh, she says that she wants a picture of Santa Claus, and beneath that she would like it to say, "Merry Christmas."

Obliging his customer, the artist gives her the two tattoos, and after he is finished, he asks her why she wanted them. She told him that she was sick of her husband saying there was nothing to eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #329 on: December 24, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »
 :lol:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!