Educational

Author Topic: Let's talk about cctv again  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Let's talk about cctv again
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »
There's potential for abuse in anything

What about guns again - their SOLE purpose is to kill. And as we see in the news all the time, they're constantly abused (actually, they're being used for what they're made for I guess), with fatal consequences

CCTV has far more benefits that outweigh any possibility of abuse

Scrapheap

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
There's potential for abuse in anything

What about guns again - their SOLE purpose is to kill. And as we see in the news all the time, they're constantly abused (actually, they're being used for what they're made for I guess), with fatal consequences

CCTV has far more benefits that outweigh any possibility of abuse

Knowledge is power. CCTV is how the gov tracks people.

How would you like it, if after you attend a protest, the police see you there on CCTV and put you on a list of potential gov enemies that need to be "watched".

Perhaps you Brits just haven't had a corrupt law enforcment agency, like the FBI inder J. Edgar Hoover, to understand how information gathering can be mis-used.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »
They have actually used CCTV here over the recent student protests - they've used it to arrest some people for violence

I think people have overreacted towards some of the behaviour at the protests. But that's not related to the CCTV

If I attended a protest peacefully then I believe I'd be fine - especially when you consider just how many people go to these thigns

If you're gonna fuck around though, then most people have the sense to cover their faces here now - baloclavas etc

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
I very much dislike the notion of my government putting up cameras "just in case". It is a step towards 1984, whether you or Shleed like it or not, and it's ridiculous to compare that to people taking photographs.

in my opinion, of course. I just think it's a slippery slope and once you realise what else they can use it for it may be too late.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
Haven't read this whole thread, but would guess everyone thinks forcing cameras in homes isn't right. Yet can't understand the viewpoint of those who seem against cameras in general. Are you against them completely? Can't think of anywhere frequented that doesn't have one. How is it any different for the state to monitor their buildings and the public's streets, from a business ower who chooses to monitor their customers and till, or homeowners who monitor their own homes?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »
I'm against authorities putting up cameras everywhere "just to make sure", because that same authority is the legislating authority. Would you allow a shop owner to be the judge if someone was caught stealing in his shop?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
So just no cameras allowed in courthouses, schools, libraries, things like that?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
No Big Brother tracing my steps. If they can control the evidence, the justice system is skewed.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
Did you mean this one Jack??

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »
Did you mean this one Jack??
No, was thinking of the one you bumped the other day; it had almost no responses in it. It would probably gain more new response than one like this where people have already said what they want to say. Forgot about this thread, so maybe a lost cause now that this one has been bumped though. :laugh: