Author Topic: Let's talk about cctv again  (Read 3635 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Let's talk about cctv again
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2011, 03:40:19 AM »
Your freedoms are never taken away in a single step. It happens gradually, with you agreeing to every step. It's always "I have nothing to hide", "surely others would protest", "some parents should be monitored", "they wouldn't do that, would they?"...

And all of a sudden your freedoms have been stripped away, without you realising what the state was doing. Unlikely, you say? Ask yourself if you trust your government (not just the current one, mind you) enough to risk it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2011, 03:41:51 AM »
Why don't we legalise everything then if restricting some things is a slippery slope? I don't trust my govt for everyday things no. But I don't believe tey would ever resort to putting cameras in our bedrooms, as they would lose votes

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2011, 07:34:23 AM »
You seem to have a lot trust in your government than the great majority of Americans do
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Scrapheap

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »
Why don't we legalise everything then if restricting some things is a slippery slope? I don't trust my govt for everyday things no. But I don't believe tey would ever resort to putting cameras in our bedrooms, as they would lose votes

By the time that the Government got around to putting cameras in your bedroom, you wouldn't be able to vote anyways.  ::)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
You seem to have a lot trust in your government than the great majority of Americans do

I don't trust the govt at all. Especially not this current con-dem one. I'm just not paranoid enough to thin they're gonna put cameras in my bedroom.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
If you don't want CCTV cameras, you might aswell ban other things like photographers taking photos in public areas or people making videos. The paranoia when it comes to things like this gets ridiculous. ::)

Public place = no privacy. Just have to accept that.

EDIT: I also don't see how accepting CCTV in public means you'd not mind cameras in your house.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:53:42 AM by Schleed »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2011, 11:34:10 AM »
Exactly! totally agree with everything in the above post. And I don't see why other people don't get it

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
The topic of banning the ability of people to take photos in public is a widely debated topic. The people who are against other people doing harmless street photography etc. are the kind of people who want CCTV banned. Apparently to them, every photographer in the public are either paedophiles or terrorists. Pure paranoia.

A public place was never private. Street photographers haven been around for nearly a century now. :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:47:50 AM by Schleed »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
Yeah I don't get why people seem to think they're now losing teir privacy - how can there be privacy in public? That makes no sense. If you don';t want someone seeing you do something, don't do it in public ffs

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »
Any smart criminal doesn't do their actions in public, even before CCTV was around.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »
I object to the government doing it not so much people who are taking photos they have no authority where the government does

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »
So it's not about privacy then

I still don't get it

There are 60million people in this country, what are the chances of someone monitoring cctv suddenly deciding to follow you? They wouldn't be able to do that for very far anyway, as that particular person would only have control over the cameras in a specific locality

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
So it's not about privacy then

I still don't get it

There are 60million people in this country, what are the chances of someone monitoring cctv suddenly deciding to follow you? They wouldn't be able to do that for very far anyway, as that particular person would only have control over the cameras in a specific locality
How do you know that?
It is about privacy individuals taking photos are not hooked up to vast databases that could be used to monitor people.     

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »
So you seriously think that the guys being paid to monitor cctv for drunken brawls and muggings and seriously gonna be watching where one person goes? They don't have access to the whole country - can you imagine the kinda size it would have to be for them to be able to track all the cameras? They just watch the ones in their area, while someone else watches ones in another area etc. There isn't one massive Big Brother guy sat watching every camera in the country. The whole thing seems totally paranoid to me. If I go out to the shop, I know there are cameras on me. I don't feel like the people monitoring them are gonna be watching me specifically though. If I did, then I'd probably have Paranoid Personality Disorder or paranoid Schizophrenia or somthing

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
No I don't but their is far to much potential for abuse as been stated before. 

George Bernard Shaw