Author Topic: Let's talk about cctv again  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Let's talk about cctv again
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
btw you guys are using isolated examples of wrongdoing as evidence that CCTV is wrong in general - yet all the examples of shootings in the US don't seem to show any of you gun-lovers that your gun laws are fucked up

Through the use of facial recognition software, the government could potentially build a pattern of an individual's movements and keep continuous surveillance on that person while he/she is in public.

The difference between this and gun laws is that, with guns, the power rests in the hands of the people. With CCTV, the power rests in the hands of the government. Government cannot (easily) abuse a power possessed by the people.

The govt can't kill people with CCTV though  :zoinks:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
btw you guys are using isolated examples of wrongdoing as evidence that CCTV is wrong in general - yet all the examples of shootings in the US don't seem to show any of you gun-lovers that your gun laws are fucked up

Through the use of facial recognition software, the government could potentially build a pattern of an individual's movements and keep continuous surveillance on that person while he/she is in public.

The difference between this and gun laws is that, with guns, the power rests in the hands of the people. With CCTV, the power rests in the hands of the government. Government cannot (easily) abuse a power possessed by the people.

The govt can't kill people with CCTV though  :zoinks:

A famous patriot from my country once said, "Give me liberty or give me death!" When he said this, our two countries were at war because of oppressive government. He was correct; there are some things that are worse than death. The loss of freedom is one of them.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
Loss of freedom yeah. Someone seeing me walk down the street, no

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
There are always gonna be cases where certain people are under surveillance, whether with CCTV or not  - they do it here with people suspected of cheating benefits.

imo For the risks of abuse associated with CCTV there are more important benefits, for example when they were looking for James Bulger

Also CCTV doesn't really show much of what people read or whether they're interested in explosives - that's other kinds of records being abused there. CCTV mostly just shows you walkig down the street, pretty harmless usually

Not yet and it doesn't have to over time people will alter their actions on their own as far as James Bulger goes just how was he helped sure they caught who did it but he is still dead.  
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »

The use of CCTV cameras will have a "chilling effect" on the normal exercise of basic rights by the citizens of the UK.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
There are always gonna be cases where certain people are under surveillance, whether with CCTV or not  - they do it here with people suspected of cheating benefits.

imo For the risks of abuse associated with CCTV there are more important benefits, for example when they were looking for James Bulger

Also CCTV doesn't really show much of what people read or whether they're interested in explosives - that's other kinds of records being abused there. CCTV mostly just shows you walkig down the street, pretty harmless usually

Not yet and it doesn't have to over time people will alter their actions on their own as far as James Bulger goes just how was he helped sure they caught who did it but he is still dead. 

They didn't save him , no. But surely catching those kids was a good thing? Lots of crimes have been solved by use of CCTV

The use of CCTV cameras will have a "chilling effect" on the normal exercise of basic rights by the citizens of the UK.

What kind of basic rights have been compromised by CCTV?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
They don't do much but provide an illusion of safety

1,000 CCTV cameras to solve just one crime, Met Police admits
Fewer than one crime is solved by every 1,000 closed circuit television cameras, the Metropolitan Police, Britain's biggest police force, has admitted.
Each case helped by the use of CCTV effectively costs £20,000 to detect, Met figures showed.

Critics of Britain’s so-called 'surveillance society' said it raised serious concerns over how police forces used CCTV cameras to fight crime.

Britain is one of the most monitored countries in the world, with an estimated four million cameras nationwide.

An internal report released by the Metropolitan Police under Freedom of Information laws disclosed that more than one million of these are in London alone.

However, it cast doubt on the use of the cameras as a crime fighting tool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6082530/1000-CCTV-cameras-to-solve-just-one-crime-Met-Police-admits.html

George Bernard Shaw

Scrapheap

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
how?

FFS go read 1984 again untill you get it.  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Wikipedia
A chilling effect is a term in law and communication which describes a situation where speech or conduct is suppressed by fear of penalization at the interests of an individual or group. It may prompt self-censorship and therefore hamper free speech.

Source

Osensitive1

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »

A chilling effect is a term in law and communication which describes a situation where speech or conduct is suppressed by fear of penalization at the interests of an individual or group. It may prompt self-censorship and therefore hamper free speech.

Source
Some people do need to chill out. The rest won't have much to hamper. The only public camera that has ever been upsetting, sent a ticket in the mail.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »

Source
Some people do need to chill out. The rest won't have much to hamper. The only public camera that has ever been upsetting, sent a ticket in the mail.

???

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »
how?

FFS go read 1984 again untill you get it.  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:

When they start putting CCTV in people's houses then I'll agree with you

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
how?

FFS go read 1984 again untill you get it.  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:  :facepalm2:

When they do it will be too late it's not like you can fight back then

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
how?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/britain-to-put-cctv-cameras-inside-private-homes/

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/government-wants-more-cctv-cameras-in-homes-622368

Quote from: Wired
£400 million ($668 million) will be spend on installing and monitoring CCTV cameras in the homes of private citizens. Why? To make sure the kids are doing their homework, going to bed early and eating their vegetables. The scheme has, astonishingly, already been running in 2,000 family homes. The government’s “children’s secretary” Ed Balls is behind the plan, which is aimed at problem, antisocial families. The idea is that, if a child has a more stable home life, he or she will be less likely to stray into crime and drugs.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:26:59 PM by Semicolon »

Osensitive1

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »
Wow.