Author Topic: Why do you americans have such faggoty gun laws?  (Read 11818 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Why do you americans have such faggoty gun laws?
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
To me it seems that the costs of being a gun-totting society far outway the benefits. If I am right guns should be illegal. If I am wrong then obviously they should be legal. I've yet to see a cinvincing argument that American society benefits from it's gun laws.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »
So why do so many Americans who support owning guns want to impede the civil rights of other people when it comes to abortion and gay marriage?

Actually. Whatever peoples views on guns. Soph makes a very good point.

Scrapheap

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2011, 10:17:11 PM »
Knives and cars all serve an obvious (non-violent ) purpose. Guns don;t. If guns were used as inhalers for athsmatic people, cool. But they're not. They're used TO shoot people

And why do school shootings not provide a good enough reason to end your ridiculous gun laws? Kids killing each other sure seems like something I'd wanna stop if it was goign on like that in my countrty

Let's say we ended the Second amendment. Do you know what would happen??

Guns would start pouring ascoss the border with Mexico. Fuck, we can't keep 12,000,000 beaners out of our country, how could we stop the flow of illegal guns??

TRUMP CARD!!! Check and mate.

:respect:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
So why do so many Americans who support owning guns want to impede the civil rights of other people when it comes to abortion and gay marriage?

The point is entirely irrelevant, unless you believe that the political views of gun owners somehow influence the circumstances in which they use their guns.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:24 PM »
Soph makes a very good point.

:sex?:

I don't know, I'm not one of them. Though you'd make a fine democrat.

lol I'll take that as a compliment

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

The point is entirely irrelevant, unless you believe that the political views of gun owners somehow influence the circumstances in which they use their guns.

I was referring to the whole "let people do whatever they want as long as it hurts no one" in general. Not just the gun laws. And a LOT of people who support gun ownership are often against the two thigns I mentioned. Slightly off topic yes, but this is I2

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
To me it seems that the costs of being a gun-totting society far outway the benefits. If I am right guns should be illegal. If I am wrong then obviously they should be legal. I've yet to see a cinvincing argument that American society benefits from it's gun laws.

:O_o:

I posted the abstract of an actual scientific study earlier in this thread. The study concluded that guns do, in fact, benefit American society.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »

It is an irrelevant point in the context of the gun law debate. It is a very valid point in the context of American society however.

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
Since the 80s, Australia has had even stricter laws than the UK. Guns can only be kept if they are used for pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting (though I bet a lot of people say they are collectors yet keep the guns in case of using them for self defence). There are even restrictions on owning antique firearms, in some states a licence is not required though, but the firearm has to be registered.

Another example of the UK Australia difference is the ownership of silencers, these are legal in the UK but only a few government agencies in Australia are allowed to have them.

So yeah, imagine trying to own a gun here, the typical person in suburbia would never be allowed.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Osensitive1

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »
Knives and cars all serve an obvious (non-violent ) purpose. Guns don;t. If guns were used as inhalers for athsmatic people, cool. But they're not. They're used TO shoot people

And why do school shootings not provide a good enough reason to end your ridiculous gun laws? Kids killing each other sure seems like something I'd wanna stop if it was goign on like that in my countrty

Guns would start pouring ascoss the border with Mexico. Fuck, we can't keep 12,000,000 beaners out of our country, how could we stop the flow of illegal guns??

Right. Nothing like a little cold reality. There's no way to control it, as said before. Only the law abiding would give up their guns, leaving them to the criminals. As well as making the law abiding who refuse to give them up, criminals by default.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »

I posted the abstract of an actual scientific study earlier in this thread. The study concluded that guns do, in fact, benefit American society.

It's the middle of the night here. We likely can't be arsed reading it. Can you summarise it in one or two points?

Scrapheap

« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
Hello peoples, I just threw the trump card. I won the debate. This thread is over.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »
Since the 80s, Australia has had even stricter laws than the UK. Guns can only be kept if they are used for pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting (though I bet a lot of people say they are collectors yet keep the guns in case of using them for self defence). There are even restrictions on owning antique firearms, in some states a licence is not required though, but the firearm has to be registered.

Another example of the UK Australia difference is the ownership of silencers, these are legal in the UK but only a few government agencies in Australia are allowed to have them.

So yeah, imagine trying to own a gun here, the typical person in suburbia would never be allowed.

Of course guns are illegal in Australia. Almost all societies that widely allow guns still bar criminals from owning them. :P

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2011, 10:24:05 PM »

Right. Nothing like a little cold reality. There's no way to control it, as said before. Only the law abiding would give up their guns, leaving them to the criminals. As well as making the law abiding who refuse to give them up, criminals by default.

Which is why you change it gradually. By making them stricter slowly. Harder for psychos and young people to get hold of etc etc

You need cultural changess, which obviously wouldn't happen overnight. I don't think anyone would suggest one law banning guns just like that

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »

It's the middle of the night here. We likely can't be arsed reading it. Can you summarise it in one or two points?

The study was performed in the US. It concluded that:
1. Guns do not significantly increase accidental death rates.
2. 1,500 murders, 4,000 rapes, 11,000 robberies and 60,000 aggravated assaults were avoided yearly due to the availability of guns to the population.
3. The proliferation of guns saved society a net amount of $5.74 billion dollars annually.

This is very much simplified. The original post is here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:29:19 PM by Semicolon »