Author Topic: Intelligent design  (Read 781 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Intelligent design
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
Some idiot designed my eyes with the retinas back to front, so I have to peer past the blood vessels and optic nerve to see anything.

That means you're blind? :orly:

He's not blind. I think he means that his eyes don't work all that well though.

My right eye is perfect, but my left eye is hopeless. I can barely read the screen if I close my right eye.

All vertebrates have their retinas back to front; it's what gives us a blind spot and it's why we can see our blood vessels when an optician shines a light in our eyes.  Cephalopods have retinas that are the opposite way around, with the photosensitive cells in front and the blood vessels and neurons behind, which means that they don't have a blind spot and can form sharper, brighter images than an equivalent vertebrate retina.

Fascinating! And yet another reason to fear Squid_thing!  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
Some idiot designed my eyes with the retinas back to front, so I have to peer past the blood vessels and optic nerve to see anything.

That means you're blind? :orly:

He's not blind. I think he means that his eyes don't work all that well though.

My right eye is perfect, but my left eye is hopeless. I can barely read the screen if I close my right eye.

All vertebrates have their retinas back to front; it's what gives us a blind spot and it's why we can see our blood vessels when an optician shines a light in our eyes.  Cephalopods have retinas that are the opposite way around, with the photosensitive cells in front and the blood vessels and neurons behind, which means that they don't have a blind spot and can form sharper, brighter images than an equivalent vertebrate retina.

Fascinating! And yet another reason to fear Squid_thing!  :laugh:

>:D  :eyebrows:  :headbang2:  :viking:  :evillaugh: :flame:

seriously though I lol'd  :plus:  :laugh:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Scrapheap

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »

This is proof that :fsm: is our creator. We were stupidly designed by a drunk god. It explains a lot.  ;)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »

This is proof that :fsm: is our creator. We were stupidly designed by a drunk god. It explains a lot.  ;)

So, the FSM, companied by lot of Lambrusco created us?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Scrapheap

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »

So, the FSM, companied by lot of Lambrusco created us?

It was beer AFAIK, but the FSM hasn't told me himself yet. Just have to wait to get to Pastafarian Heaven to find out. :arrr: