Author Topic: Intelligent design  (Read 782 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Intelligent design
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
As far as I can tell Intelligent Design was invented to explain evolution when it became clear to all but the most fundamentalist nuts that evolution was a fact. I think that if you suggested intelligent design 250 years ago the church would have had you executed as a heretic.

Intelligent Design is just a re-branding of Biblical young-earth creationism. It was devised by a team of lawyers at the Discovery Institute specifically to get around the American Constitution, specifically, the establishment clause of the first amendment.

It was de-bunked at a trial in Dover Pennsylvania in 2005. Here's the wiki link if you want to read the whole story. Dover Trial

As of 2008 a Gallup poll indicated that 36% of US adults agreed with the statement "human beings developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process.", 14% believed that "Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process." and 44% of US adults agreed with the statement "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so

It amazes me that 44% of the people in the self-proclaimed greatest country on Earth believe this. What scares me most is how much Britain seems to follow America. I hope this attitude does not gain acceptance over here.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
Some idiot designed my eyes with the retinas back to front, so I have to peer past the blood vessels and optic nerve to see anything.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »
Some idiot designed my eyes with the retinas back to front, so I have to peer past the blood vessels and optic nerve to see anything.

Sounds like unintelligent design to me.

DukeNukem

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »

That means you're blind? :orly:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »

He's not blind. I think he means that his eyes don't work all that well though.

My right eye is perfect, but my left eye is hopeless. I can barely read the screen if I close my right eye.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
As far as I can tell Intelligent Design was invented to explain evolution when it became clear to all but the most fundamentalist nuts that evolution was a fact. I think that if you suggested intelligent design 250 years ago the church would have had you executed as a heretic.

if i lived 250 years ago, i'd be executed for a lot of stuff :(

So might I. They might have thought I was a witch >:D

The church hunted people like me and killed them, calling them demons or demon possesed.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »

if i lived 250 years ago, i'd be executed for a lot of stuff :(

So might I. They might have thought I was a witch >:D

The church hunted people like me and killed them, calling them demons or demon possesed.

Why?

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
I've done some research, and several counts of people "coming back to life after supposedly dying, but not being quite the same" have been documented. Pretty far back too.
I will never stop...

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »
I've done some research, and several counts of people "coming back to life after supposedly dying, but not being quite the same" have been documented. Pretty far back too.

But in those days you wouldn't have come back to life. You'd just have died. They didn't have hospitals in those days.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »

But in those days you wouldn't have come back to life. You'd just have died. They didn't have hospitals in those days.

I wasn't even found, much less taken to a hospital. "Came back" all by myself. :o
I will never stop...

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »

I wasn't even found, much less taken to a hospital. "Came back" all by myself. :o

Oh. I didn't know that. Give details

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »

He's not blind. I think he means that his eyes don't work all that well though.

My right eye is perfect, but my left eye is hopeless. I can barely read the screen if I close my right eye.

All vertebrates have their retinas back to front; it's what gives us a blind spot and it's why we can see our blood vessels when an optician shines a light in our eyes.  Cephalopods have retinas that are the opposite way around, with the photosensitive cells in front and the blood vessels and neurons behind, which means that they don't have a blind spot and can form sharper, brighter images than an equivalent vertebrate retina.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »

Oh. I didn't know that. Give details

Lmao fine. If you come on today and i'm on, call me into chat and i'll tell you all about it.
I will never stop...

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 05:04:36 PM »
You should take a look at it, it's a pretty good film.

My mother was almost sent to one when I was born due to having pink hair aswell, which is why I mentioned it. :laugh:

Just the pink hair?

Not even being unwed or so?

The documentaries and the film I saw about the Magdalen Sisters.

Very scary.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

richard

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
Sounds like unintelligent design to me.
:laugh: