Educational

Author Topic: Gender specific schools  (Read 583 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Gender specific schools
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
Is it a good thing to separate kids into boys and girls at school? Should it only be done for secondary schools?

I think all schools should be mixed

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Gender specific schools
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
I went to an all-girls high school (3000+ girls).  At the time I wasn't keen on it, but since then I realized that many of the girls were liberated from attracting (and being attracted by) a boy.  We focused on academics more than we would have done normally. 

Now, it's about 50/50 split where I live.  The public high schools are co-ed and the Catholic high schools are segregated.  There are about the same number of students in both kinds of schools. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Osensitive1

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
I went to an all-girls high school (3000+ girls).  At the time I wasn't keen on it, but since then I realized that many of the girls were liberated from attracting (and being attracted by) a boy.  We focused on academics more than we would have done normally. 
Didn't go to one but have known others who did, and they felt the same way.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »
I didn't attend one, but I think they can be good for both genders.

Both male and female teachers have been shown to have gender bias and they spend more time interacting with male students than female ones in gender mixed schools.

...Analysis of the data indicated that gender biases are more invisible and more difficult to eliminate than expected. A
feminist perspective is essential in this struggle, but insufficient for eliminating the culturally embedded, longstanding
gender biases pervading our schools and lives. Gender bias is insidious because it can be almost invisible.
Classroom interactions between teachers and students put males in the spotlight, and relegate females to the
sidelines, or to invisibility (Sadker, 1999). Krupnick (1985) analyzed ten years of her classroom interactions with
students, and found that males speak more and for longer periods of time and are more likely to interrupt others. In
1992, the American Association of University Women (AAUW) found the females receive less attention from
teachers than males, and this attention is often negative or critical, resulting in increased self-doubt about their
abilities. In addition, curricular materials offer stereotypical images of women and ignore female role models.
Gender bias is difficult to overcome, but Jones (2000) has found, fortunately, that teachers’ inequitable treatment of
girls and boys can be decreased through training and self-analysis of video recordings of classroom teaching.

Dale Spender (1982) spoke of her shock at discovering that she was spending a minimum of 58% of her classroom
time interacting with boys and a maximum of 42%, and an average of 38%, of her time interacting with girls. The
discrepancy between what she thought she was doing and what she was actually doing dismayed her. She maintains
that in our educational system, male subjectivity is made to appear as objective fact. She believes that sexism is a
bias that is practically impossible to eliminate because it is the foundation of education in our male-dominated
society. This paper examines my role as teacher/researcher in perpetuating or trying to eliminate gender bias from
my interactions with the students....

Scrapheap

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »
Is it a good thing to separate kids into boys and girls at school? Should it only be done for secondary schools?

People with functioning vagainas should be in the kitchen with one kid in 'em and one kid on 'em!!  :hahaha:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 10:25:42 PM »

People with functioning vagainas should be in the kitchen with one kid in 'em and one kid on 'em!!  :hahaha:

The kid on them is called a husband.

Scrapheap

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »

:oneliner: :LMAO:  :plus:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »

:evilplus:  Ooooo, BURN!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 08:18:36 AM »
Dude, the gender specific schools deal is retarded as FUCK. High school crushes and interacting with the opposite sex is a MUST for a developing teen. Without it, they'd be all fucked up. Like the people running the world right now.

Hell even gay people need to learn social skills with the opposite sex. Its just part of growing up, isn't it? :-\
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
Dude, the gender specific schools deal is retarded as FUCK. High school crushes and interacting with the opposite sex is a MUST for a developing teen. Without it, they'd be all fucked up. Like the people running the world right now.

Hell even gay people need to learn social skills with the opposite sex. Its just part of growing up, isn't it? :-\

Hmm.  Most Catholic high schools are segregated here and the students do manage to marry and have social lives after school.   

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »

Social WHATS?  :scratchhead:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
 :laugh:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »

Hmm.  Most Catholic high schools are segregated here and the students do manage to marry and have social lives after school.   

Most Catholics end up fucked up as hell though imo

I agree with Rage

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 01:17:22 PM »

Most Catholics end up fucked up as hell though imo

I agree with Rage

The purpose of Catholicism is to achieve "Idiocarcy" and produce large numbers of stupid people who breed prolifically.  :police: