Educational

Author Topic: Should creationism be taught in schools?  (Read 861 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Should creationism be taught in schools?
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:47 PM »
lol, No

Osensitive1

Re: Should creationism be taught in schools?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »
What about religious schools?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
They should be able to teach "some people believe x, y and z"

But they shouldn't be able to teach it as fact or as some kind of scientific theory

I don't agree with religious schools anyway though - kids shouldn't go to school to be indoctrinated

Osensitive1

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
If religious schools should be able to teach 'some people believe x, y, and z' then why not all schools? Am a firm believer in separation of church and state, btw, just found your response interesting and am feeling provocative tonight, and not in a sexy way.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
Schools are for education and life skills, if you want religious teaching, go to church. There is no room in the educational system for stuff religion, as religion is based on faith more than anything, and is not of value to everyone like a proper school education is.

Osensitive1

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »
But religious schools are privately funded. It would be similar to saying parents who homeschool shouldn't teach creationism.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »
If religious schools should be able to teach 'some people believe x, y, and z' then why not all schools? Am a firm believer in separation of church and state, btw, just found your response interesting and am feeling provocative tonight, and not in a sexy way.

I agree that non-religious schools should be able to teach that as well. I just don't think ANY schooll, religious or not, private or not, should be teaching creationism/ID as a valid alternative to evolution

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
But religious schools are privately funded. It would be similar to saying parents who homeschool shouldn't teach creationism.

Since churches are taxt exempt, I'd support the teaching of creationism, as soon as churches start teaching evolution from the pulpit.  ::)  :laugh:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »

But they shouldn't be able to teach it as fact or as some kind of scientific theory

I don't agree with religious schools anyway though - kids shouldn't go to school to be indoctrinated

I agree with all of that. It's important for schools to teach about religion. They should not teach creationism as a fact though.

I don't think they should teach the big bang theory as a fact either. I think a school should just explain the different point of view, and let the individuals make up their mind.

Scrapheap

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »

I agree with all of that. It's important for schools to teach about religion. They should not teach creationism as a fact though.

I don't think they should teach the big bang theory as a fact either. I think a school should just explain the different point of view, and let the individuals make up their mind.

The bib bang theory is supported by facts, and should be taught in science class because it's a solid theory.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

The bib bang theory is supported by facts, and should be taught in science class because it's a solid theory.

I'm not sure the big bang theory is a fact. There do seem to be viable alternatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_cosmology#Alternative_metric_cosmologies

Scrapheap

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 09:12:20 PM »

I'm not sure the big bang theory is a fact. There do seem to be viable alternatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_cosmology#Alternative_metric_cosmologies

Those alternatives aren't supported by the majority of cosmologists though.  :-\

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 09:17:44 PM »

Those alternatives aren't supported by the majority of cosmologists though.  :-\

No, and I'm not saying that the big bang is wrong. Just that it hasn't been proven fully to be true. It is still a theory, albeit possibly the most likely one.

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »

No, and I'm not saying that the big bang is wrong. Just that it hasn't been proven fully to be true. It is still a theory, albeit possibly the most likely one.

NOTHING in science has been proven to be completely true. That goes against how science works. Anything can be overturned on new evidence.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 03:17:22 AM »
I went to a religious school.

Evolution theory was taught in biology. Creationism was treated in religion classes, and we learned that you can't use it as science. And that the bible never was meant as a guide to biology or physics.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!