Educational

Author Topic: I've signed up out of boredom; likely closing this account because of boredom 2  (Read 9990 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Decide already. :yawn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Frolic_Fun

Freedom of speech allows restriction of freedom of speech. The concept alone is a paradox.

It isn't really a paradox, unless you're asserting that all "truth" is a paradox (but this is another argument). I think it's perfectly logical: Although you can't truly possess freedom that isn't to say that another situational concept cannot be applied to remove it.

The problem is due to everything isn't exactly black or white.

An example would be this: People censor one another all the time if they find their viewpoints unfavourable. The people censoring other's freedom of speech are also expressing freedom of speech, saying that they think those other people are wrong as justification for their censorship.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Two words that prove freedom of speech is bullshit, Political Correctness. Hell, there's one word that's even better and that is, Censorship.

You'll find that freedom of speech is an illusion once you start believing in a minority opinion that's considered taboo or undesirable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:49:51 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

The_Chosen_One

Two words that prove freedom of speech is bullshit, Political Correctness. Hell, there's one word that's even better and that is, Censorship.

You'll find that freedom of speech is an illusion once you start believing in a minority opinion that's considered taboo or undesirable.

These fuckers are only allowed to get away with their PC crap because the population gets sucked in by their rhetoric. Had we had enough balls to tell them to 'fuck off' back in the early days, we'd be far better off.

I should have the right to call someone a moronic fucking imbecile if I choose, as that moronic fucking imbecile should have the same right to have a go at me. Here we can do that, other places..... no.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
The point is though, if there's EVER being a moment in your life where you really wanted to say something, but couldn't because you know it will fuck your life up (even if it's entirely truthful and honest), then that's already an example of how free speech doesn't truly exist. Yes, you can still choose to say it, but beware of the consequences though.

The reality is, anything you say ultimately cost something in both positive and negative ways, be money, reputation, integrity, honour, pride, respect, relationships, freedoms, security, etc.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:07:58 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Binty

I've said things in real life with the full knowledge that they will fuck my life up. I think it depends on the person.

The_Chosen_One

The point is though, if there's EVER being a moment in your life where you really wanted to say something, but couldn't because you know it will fuck your life up (even if it's entirely truthful and honest), then that's already an example of how free speech doesn't truly exist. Yes, you can still choose to say it, but beware of the consequences though.

The reality is, anything you say ultimately cost something in both positive and negative ways, be money, reputation, integrity, honour, pride, respect, relationships, freedoms, security, etc.

I get what you mean; everyone should be responsible for their own actions.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
I've said things in real life with the full knowledge that they will fuck my life up. I think it depends on the person.

I guess that's true. If you're willing to do that, then you're definitely brave.

Binty

I guess that's true. If you're willing to do that, then you're definitely brave.

Stupid more like :P It also depends on one's circumstances. Once you get to the point where you feel you have nothing left to lose, except perhaps your sanity, you will say anything to keep that sanity in place, regardless of the circumstances. That's not bravery, just survival and perhaps an inability to keep one's mouth shut.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Stupid more like :P It also depends on one's circumstances. Once you get to the point where you feel you have nothing left to lose, except perhaps your sanity, you will say anything to keep that sanity in place, regardless of the circumstances. That's not bravery, just survival and perhaps an inability to keep one's mouth shut.

I know what you mean exactly, I've had the same experience too. But when I read what you said, I was thinking as in that you just didn't feel intimidated by consequences.

Binty

I know what you mean exactly, I've had the same experience too. But when I read what you said, I was thinking as in that you just didn't feel intimidated by consequences.

I didn't but that was only because I didn't give a fuck about myself as a whole. It would have been brave to do something like that if I had been in a stable place in life.

Offline Slasher

• Frequent Poster
Freedom of speech issues are mainly concerned with consequence. This site has a lot of good input from members, even though some of the posts sound contradictory but then that happens as you start making assertions so that some of the thoughts which are expressed need to be facilitated by excusing, through a sort of explaining, such as playing down to similes, or defining specific reasoning as an exception to the rule.

I find some of the I2 processes tedious, such as when I click next to find I'm in another forum, or when I've posted and another page loads. While there is a roughly equal amount of traffic here to other forums, I'm not sure what this one is concerned with, which in contrast to other forums, has an apparent lack of direction. I generally sign up to forums where there is a subject matter, or shared interest, experiences, etc. If I can't work out a purpose for this site, then how the hell am I meant to be motivated here!? If there were a thread stating a summary which makes sense, I would have a better idea before I post. And seeing how I can like a subject and dislike a forum based on the members, I'm finding it interesting that I've joined a forum which apparently has no subject, which is a highlight for me; yet find the members okay, which keeps me interested in hanging out for a while longer, if only because this is the first time the reverse has been true, that a topic has been disinteresting, while the members are.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:56:30 AM by InternationalGrandMaster. »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
:brickwall:

Make up your mind.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

The_Chosen_One

:brickwall:

Make up your mind.

I mean, 30 psots and still in the same thread. Sounds like chair with his forum.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
who cares? the guy posts or he doesn't  :eyebrow: