Author Topic: Useless Personal Trivia  (Read 51837 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Useless Personal Trivia
« Reply #990 on: May 19, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »
I had both eyes operated on for cataracts when I was 49.  Have those wonderful intraocular lenses.  Just now starting to need glasses again for driving.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #991 on: May 20, 2011, 07:36:47 AM »
I don't have any piercing or tattoo..

.. but I once drew a lucky clover on a girl's buttock. If I remember correctly it was her perfectly white left buttock. (Hey Lieke)
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #992 on: May 20, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
I don't have any piercing or tattoo..

.. but I once drew a lucky clover on a girl's buttock. If I remember correctly it was her perfectly white left buttock. (Hey Lieke)

Maybe she ended up having the clover tattooed on.  Did you ever ask her about it?   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

eris

« Reply #993 on: May 20, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
I cannot have piercings as I am allergic to it. I tried to get my ears pierced when I was 13 and it was bad news. THey just get sore and dont heal

I think this is good as I would probably be covered in them otherwise

I have a few tattoos though

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #994 on: May 20, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »
I cannot have piercings as I am allergic to it. I tried to get my ears pierced when I was 13 and it was bad news. THey just get sore and dont heal

I think this is good as I would probably be covered in them otherwise

I have a few tattoos though

You may be allergic to the metal in less expensive earrings.  Also the gold earrings are sometimes soldered with cheaper metal so that you can have an allergic reaction.  I cannot even wear a watch because the "glow" from my wrist reacts with the watch back and I get a reaction.

Osensitive1

« Reply #995 on: May 20, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »
Knew a girl years ago who could only wear gold.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #996 on: May 20, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »

Ah yes.  Not only can I only wear gold, I'm allergic to all gems except diamonds.  :'(

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #997 on: May 20, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

Ah yes.  Not only can I only wear gold, I'm allergic to all gems except diamonds.  :'(

Ah, the burdens of sovereignty!  :queenie:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Osensitive1

« Reply #998 on: May 20, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »

Really, or is that a joke? Never heard of the gem thing. Does the quality of gold have any effect? Recall that girl mentioned also broke out if it wasn't 24 carat.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #999 on: May 20, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

Really, or is that a joke? Never heard of the gem thing. Does the quality of gold have any effect? Recall that girl mentioned also broke out if it wasn't 24 carat.

Yeah, the diamond thing is a joke. 

What most people are allergic to in metals is nickel.  Nickel is fairly common in metal jewelry.  You can put nail polish on the back of some items to avoid contact with your skin, wear a necklace under the collar rather than touching the skin, use non-metallic jewelry, etc.  I have some pieces that I put on a ribbon that's long enough for the locket to set on clothing rather than my skin. 

midlifeaspie

« Reply #1000 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »

What most people are allergic to in metals is nickel.  Nickel is fairly common in metal jewelry.  You can put nail polish on the back of some items to avoid contact with your skin, wear a necklace under the collar rather than touching the skin, use non-metallic jewelry, etc.  I have some pieces that I put on a ribbon that's long enough for the locket to set on clothing rather than my skin. 

My wife has the same problem with Nickel which they use in earrings, but any jewelry used in a "piercing" anywhere else should be surgical stainless steel, which is impossible to be allergic to as it is completely non-reactive.

eris

« Reply #1001 on: May 20, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »

Ah yes.  Not only can I only wear gold, I'm allergic to all gems except diamonds.  :'(

What most people are allergic to in metals is nickel.  Nickel is fairly common in metal jewelry.  You can put nail polish on the back of some items to avoid contact with your skin, wear a necklace under the collar rather than touching the skin, use non-metallic jewelry, etc.  I have some pieces that I put on a ribbon that's long enough for the locket to set on clothing rather than my skin.  

My wife has the same problem with Nickel which they use in earrings, but any jewelry used in a "piercing" anywhere else should be surgical stainless steel, which is impossible to be allergic to as it is completely non-reactive.

Yes I am allergic to nickle. I am allergic to almost anything but food. I also get very tiny red marks from the injections I take, but it goes away immediately and leaves no marks because the needle is so tiny. I cant do silver either. I can wear pure silver rings but they leave a "glow" as well. And I cant do silver piercings.  Ive never tried gold earnings. Ive had better things to buy than solid gold earrings. :D Maybe I could try. It would be worth it to me now. My wedding ring was gold and I never had an issue with that.

I really cant be allergic to the surgical steel ? even though I am allergic to nickle and silver ? If this is true, Im going to have to plan some things.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1002 on: May 20, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
I have a reaction to surgical steel as well, although I don't know why.  I was able to find earrings I could tolerate from Simply Whispers, which is a little pricey, but still reasonable if you buy items on sale.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1003 on: May 20, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I had the same problem with the back of my watch, which was stainless steel, BTW, making a rash on the back of my wrist.  I have a solid gold watch now and I don't have any problems with it at all even though it's not 24 karat gold, which I think would be too soft to use in jewelry. 

I think that white gold has some nickel in it as well, so you would need to wear yellow gold if you're allergic to nickel.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #1004 on: May 20, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »

Ah yes.  Not only can I only wear gold, I'm allergic to all gems except diamonds.  :'(

What most people are allergic to in metals is nickel.  Nickel is fairly common in metal jewelry.  You can put nail polish on the back of some items to avoid contact with your skin, wear a necklace under the collar rather than touching the skin, use non-metallic jewelry, etc.  I have some pieces that I put on a ribbon that's long enough for the locket to set on clothing rather than my skin.  

Yes I am allergic to nickle. I am allergic to almost anything but food. I also get very tiny red marks from the injections I take, but it goes away immediately and leaves no marks because the needle is so tiny. I cant do silver either. I can wear pure silver rings but they leave a "glow" as well. And I cant do silver piercings.  Ive never tried gold earnings. Ive had better things to buy than solid gold earrings. :D Maybe I could try. It would be worth it to me now. My wedding ring was gold and I never had an issue with that.

I really cant be allergic to the surgical steel ? even though I am allergic to nickle and silver ? If this is true, Im going to have to plan some things.

I suppose anything is possible, but steel suture is what they use on allergic patients and I have never heard of someone having a reaction to an implant such as bone screws, pins, artificial hips, etc.  It might not be hypoallergenic, but I do believe it is as close as it gets.

Edit to add:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_piercing_materials#Surgical_steel