Author Topic: Useless Personal Trivia  (Read 51833 times)

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Useless Personal Trivia
« Reply #2700 on: March 13, 2014, 11:32:44 PM »
I want a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. I tried a pair the other day and they were awesome.
But can't you hear your own breathing when you wear them? I hate that. I find it more overstimulating than the noise that bugged me in the first place.
I had a pair I could still hear my breathing and even my heart faintly.  When overstimulated I like all my senses basically off for awhile, I wear hearing protection ear muffs used when shooting, pillows over my head for light and a weighted blanket over me
I can understand that. But when I'm that overstimulated, I don't want to hear anything. Not even my own breathing. :P

Love weighted blankets though!
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2701 on: March 13, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2702 on: March 14, 2014, 05:45:57 AM »
It is just too hot here in this part of Western Australia to have weighted blankets except in the middle of winter.

DFG, how did your cats hurt your feelings?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2703 on: March 14, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
It is just too hot here in this part of Western Australia to have weighted blankets except in the middle of winter.
Would you like some of my snow? I've got looooots in the yard I could give to you.  :green:
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2704 on: March 14, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »
^ I can never borrow another person's earphones. Ear sweat ugh!

Of course not. Buy your own (spend more than you think is possible for high quality) and never share.

When I was working in music, I always had to supply headphones, so I had twelve pair that I kept in a large case for just such expensive things, along with microphones (how about sharing one of those with a stranger?   :puke:)

MY SET of headphones, I kept in my own locked case or when working, hanging around my neck.

Sharing headphones is unsanitary. Sharing earbuds is unthinkable!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2705 on: March 15, 2014, 12:00:57 AM »
Would you like some of my snow? I've got looooots in the yard I could give to you.  :green:
I would love some snow. I haven't seen it in rl before.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2706 on: March 15, 2014, 03:52:11 AM »
I want a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. I tried a pair the other day and they were awesome.

You get your noise-cancelling headphones.  You don't hear your wife telling you to buy lottery tickets and she's given you the winning numbers.

Wrong thread. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #2707 on: March 15, 2014, 07:38:27 AM »

You get your noise-cancelling headphones.  You don't hear your wife telling you to buy lottery tickets and she's given you the winning numbers.

Wrong thread. :laugh:

:laugh:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2708 on: March 15, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »

What brand were they?

Some of the "active"  noise canceling headphones are truly amazing in how they can suspend the listener in a "soundproof environment."

I generally do not care much for Bose products, but their noise canceling 'phones are not bad at all.  We also have Sennheiser, B&W,  and Sony that do well, but you are going to be in the "over two hundred dollar"  range for the better ones.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #2709 on: March 15, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »
You guys are a significant part of my life now. I shall never forget you all.

Who are you?

*joking

lol. I'm a ghost...so maybe you can't see me, but I have been watching for a very long time....

:evillaugh:
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #2710 on: March 15, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »
Forget headphones. I can barely stand to borrow someone's phone. I tend to wait for them to look away then wipe the phone off on my pants.....ear-face oil and sweat...ugh...

Sometimes I don't want to insult them so i just hold the phone a centimeter away from my ear and at and angle so it appears i am holding it closer...or maybe just allowing one end to lightly touch my earlobe.... then I wipe off my ear afterwards...

:/

Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2711 on: March 16, 2014, 11:45:35 PM »

What brand were they?

Some of the "active"  noise canceling headphones are truly amazing in how they can suspend the listener in a "soundproof environment."

I generally do not care much for Bose products, but their noise canceling 'phones are not bad at all.  We also have Sennheiser, B&W,  and Sony that do well, but you are going to be in the "over two hundred dollar"  range for the better ones.

The ones I tried were Bose headphones. The noise cancelling worked really well, I have to say, but I won't be buying them. I don't have any faith in Bose.

I'm going to buy a new pair of headphones, though. I'll go with AKGs.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2712 on: March 18, 2014, 05:43:34 AM »
Forget headphones. I can barely stand to borrow someone's phone. I tend to wait for them to look away then wipe the phone off on my pants.....ear-face oil and sweat...ugh...

Sometimes I don't want to insult them so i just hold the phone a centimeter away from my ear and at and angle so it appears i am holding it closer...or maybe just allowing one end to lightly touch my earlobe.... then I wipe off my ear afterwards...

:/

I never borrow other peoples' phones, period.  IF it is important then I tell them to call me direct.

No way, I am putting someone else's manky-assed phone in my hand, let alone next to my mouth or my ear!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2713 on: March 18, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »

What brand were they?

The ones I tried were Bose headphones. The noise cancelling worked really well, I have to say, but I won't be buying them. I don't have any faith in Bose.

Good choice. You are onto the higher dollar/krona products. The only problem I have found with AKGs is related to physical comfort. (They just do not fit my extra large size head very well) If you can preview some B&W (the ones with the ultra-soft lamb skin pads) - (I think they are made in the UK)  you might also like those.

My biggest problem with "Dr/Mr/Prof" Bose's products is that his ideas of what we want to hear and what I perceive as flat/neutral sound reproduction are quite at odds. While I accept that all manufacturerers "color" their Signature sound, Bose do not sound right to me. I have twenty dollar Sony's (I buy for the kids to destroy) that sound more neutral and cause less listener fatigue. (They are not as efficient, which is not that bad for kids. Hopefully they will not blow their ears out as fast.   :'( )

Call me a minority, because all that bass noise sells like hell to most people, but most Bose products are not capable of pure, flat, uncolored, natural sounding reproduction.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2714 on: March 18, 2014, 08:34:29 AM »

What brand were they?

Good choice. You are onto the higher dollar/krona products. The only problem I have found with AKGs is related to physical comfort. (They just do not fit my extra large size head very well) If you can preview some B&W (the ones with the ultra-soft lamb skin pads) - (I think they are made in the UK)  you might also like those.

My biggest problem with "Dr/Mr/Prof" Bose's products is that his ideas of what we want to hear and what I perceive as flat/neutral sound reproduction are quite at odds. While I accept that all manufacturerers "color" their Signature sound, Bose do not sound right to me. I have twenty dollar Sony's (I buy for the kids to destroy) that sound more neutral and cause less listener fatigue. (They are not as efficient, which is not that bad for kids. Hopefully they will not blow their ears out as fast.   :'( )

Call me a minority, because all that bass noise sells like hell to most people, but most Bose products are not capable of pure, flat, uncolored, natural sounding reproduction.

Which is basically why I want the AKGs. I'm thinking I'll get either a q701 or the newer k712, both of which are basically flat. They say the k712 has addressed most of the k701/2 issues (as has the q701) but doesn't have the bumpy headbands that the q701 users complain about.

My only problem is that the k712 is quite expensive so I'm fretting about the cost. I know that if I get the q701 I'll keep wondering what the k712 would have been like. :GA:

Will look into the B&Ws, tho, if I can find a retailer within reach.

- Albert Einstein