Author Topic: What do you want/need to buy?  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What do you want/need to buy?
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
A wallet that won't open to let money out and a debit card that will only deposit money.  I gave up credit cards a while back.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2018, 04:58:50 PM »
I'd like some portions of sodium (or potassium) metal, only, rather than being in one big chunk the size of a small brick or very large, meaty fist, hermetically sealed first covered in oil then vacuum-evacuated within an inner plastic liner, heat-sealed inside, which itself is heat-sealed in a thick plastic outer liner bag inflated with some sort of inert gas.

That way, I could use it portion-wise more easily. Na and K metal are usually kept under oil (this is somewhat of an unusual way for it to come, in double-layers of plastic liners, inert gas, and the only wet bit being a thin layer of mineral oil over the sodium metal itself), although it does keep really well, very little oxidation in storage, I've had the sodium for over a year and a half, maybe two years now, give or take a half year, and its no worse oxidized than it was when I first got it, still bright and shiny, not as shiny as a freshly cut through piece of Na that has JUST been sliced into with a knife
but that would be asking an awful lot short of melting it in a vacuum chamber after purging it with argon, evacuating, then purging again, before melting the metal under vacuum, or melting it under 1,4-dioxane.

I really want a new vacuum pump. That way I could seal my alkali metals up like that myself, it's kept far better than keeping it under oil. Stores better for longer.

I can make mt own alkali metals though, by performing a thermite-like reaction using the alkali metal hydroxide and magnesium dust in a crucible, capped and covered once the magnesium fuse burns down far enough to begin igniting the mixture, otherwise the alkali metal would be vaporized off in the heat of the reaction, which like thermites in general, burns bloody hot, a slag of alkali metal finely dispersed in magnesium oxide slag. One then uses concentrated sulfuric acid to dehydrate unmixed ethylene glycol antifreeze and distill off some dioxane, then boil up the powdered metal/MgO slag rocks under refluxing dioxane, which for whatever reasons, surface  tension perhaps, as well as being  an ether, unreactive to alkali metals; the alkali metal melts out of the slag and separates out in nice shiny lumps. All from magnesium dust, a strip of magnesium wire or ribbon to light it, a crucible etc. to contain the reaction in, sulfuric bog cleaner and antifreee.

Really need that new vacuum pump for storage though. And for sealing things in glass ampoules under vacuum, so they can be stored permanently without exposure to water or air. And some really big amps, say, 100ml useful capacity, for keeping aggressive reagents like chromyl chloride, air-sensitive stuff like dimethyl/diethylzinc (either of those two burst into flame on contact with air almost instantly), and alkali metals to preserve them in perfect condition indefinitely.

Oh and I need some copper (II) chloride, although I have a little bit, enough to try it out on a multi-gram scale of substrate, for a nanotechnology based reduction system, using copper (O) nanoparticles and sodium borohydride.

Some ammonium formate might not go amiss either. I can make it of course, but still, a few kg of ready made ammonium formate would  avoid the long, tedious drying process, because it undergoes rearrangement to formamide (itself useful) if it gets too hot. and when formamide overheats it produces hydrogen cyanide in decomposition.

Got a few things I need to test.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2018, 07:21:29 PM »
My future buys shopping list:

A jacket for my Kindle
A garment rack
Day-to-day shoes
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
Just buying some 85% formic acid. Found a deal on ebay, 3x1 liter bottles for 21 quid, free shipping.

There was some 95% HCOOH available,  but that was from the US. I fucking hate dealing with chemical sellers in the US on ebay, fucking gougers the lot of them. Stuff like charging 30-40 dollars for a 30ml bottle or 30g bottle of liquids or solids, the sort of thing I could buy a big sack of for the same money elsewhere, for free shipping.

Funny, the yanks always include obscene shipping fees when I know damn well they are skimming profit off it, it doesn't cost 30 dollars for a few grams of anything in the mail..shit...not talking hazardous materials, but something like say, iron filings, or sodium bromide, or zinc metal pellets, something completely innocuous unless dropped on one's head in a large heavy container full of the stuff.

Whilst the russians, the polish, the lithuanians, often the chinese, and plenty europeans will have free shipping and far less disgusting prices.

Got to say, I really, really do hate dealing with yanks on ebay.

Just changed my mind, after finding ammonium formate, which is what I'd have used the formic  acid for in the first place, before pledging to buy the HCOOH.

To put it into perspective how  awful a load of gouging wankers  US sellers are..

30g ammonium formate in a little tiny bottle, the bastards are demanding 40 dollars to ship it to the UK! and a dollar a gram.

Poland on the other hand, will ship a kilo of ammonium formate for free shipping and handling, $77.46
Or 250g ammonium formate, $24.21 for the item, again, free shipping.

No fucking way is that on, what the US  chemical sellers are doing. Fuck off, if they think I'm paying a pound a gram for ammonium bloody formate and paying more than the item itself is worth to ship just over an ounce; they can suck my autistic dick and call it beluga caviar. Then they can fuck off back under whatever slimy little rock they inhabit the bottom of, with their overpriced ammonium formate up their ass, bottle and  all. Diagonally. Inserted via  their nostrils. Ursurious bloody bastards.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2018, 01:48:37 AM »
Christmas presents. Though it's going to have to wait until I get paid next week. I've already bought Kayleigh's present, though. It's just taking its sweet time in getting here. Well, China is a long way away.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2018, 01:59:22 AM »
My daughter wants a new bed for Xmas and my son wants a new laptop.

On top of that I want to buy a couple of small presents for them, obviously. Stocking fillers. I know my son wants a model tank, he is pretty easy to buy for. I have no idea what to buy for my daughter though. I will buy some books for both of them, but I might have to potter around the shops and try to find something that my daughter would like.

I already told my wife that the gazebo and the outdoor furniture I've bought over the last few weeks are her early Xmas present. Other than that no presents to buy.

I want to buy a new phone for myself. My handphone was released more than 5 years ago, I need something more modern, but that can wait.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
I want, and as yet have not bought, 5xeach of wide-range high and low temperature-capacity mercury thermometers, and five of the alcohol type.

I have one alcohol thermometer, among non-electronic  thermometers and thermocouple probes, as  well as something shaped like  a pistol, an electronic one, that has a detector with a trigger pressure-actuated laser sight mounted a few millimeters above the detector, which picks up photonic emissions in the infrared wavelengths and when the thing is aimed at a  thing one wishes to measure the temperature of, it beeps, takes a reading within 2, at most 3 seconds and displays current temperature as well as the maximum peak temperature during the measurement, in either degrees centigrade, or degrees farenheit, the latter I quite simply, never use, because I am as  familiar with the conversion factor between degrees 'F, and degrees 'C, a little switch located inside the pistol-grip flicked one way or the other to select one's preferred  temperature scale for the readout, the remainder of the handle having a connector to the battery, which takes a single  PP3 type battery.

Gives a little beeping noise when pulling the trigger as  well as when the measurement is complete, after which, the current temperature as well as the  maximum temperature taken during the measurement, showing one the peak temperature of the scan and the actual, current temperature at the time the trigger is released. Very handy, and very rapid (few seconds) result, much faster than mercury filled or those with a red-dyed alcohol filling, Although the alcohol ones are vital to me for  one  specific reason. Namely, if I am conducting a reaction using microwave irradiation, from, yes, a bog standard microwave oven, just as most people have in the  kitchen for cooking their grub.

I cannot employ mercury filled ones, nor those using galinstan (all the rage as a relacement for thermometers containing that devil incarnate, discouraged from use these days [galinstan is an alloy of liquid metal, melts in just the heat of being held in a hand. The name coming  from GAL-In-Stannum, gallium, In (indium,a metallic, very soft element of the transition metal series, very very soft indeed, fairly sure that it could be cut with a blunt bread knife) and Stannum, the latin for the metal tin, periodic symbol Sn)

However galinstan, which is unlke mercury metal, it melts in a warm hand, but when at room temp. is a soli of extremely low melting point And gallium and indium have low melting point before becoming soiid metal, so those are no use for measuring very cold ranges.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »
The only really nice thermometer I have is an older photographic process thermometer made by Agfa. It came in a fitted and padded metal case, which I still have.

It is about an inch and a half wide, eighteen inches long, mercury and claims to be accurate to one quarter degree Fahrenheit. I ranges from Forty degrees Fahrenheit to One hundred twenty degrees Fahrenheit. So, it will work for B&W or Color processes, both developing film and printing paper.
I also have an old Kodak version, a bit smaller with a slightly reduced range, but claims the same accuracy.

Hell, I forgot to mention it has a C scale on the left side. It is so wide so as to make the mercury spread out and easier to see in the "dark."
Never had a chance to challenge its accuracy, except that a water container full of ice appears to be at exactly 0/32.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:03:14 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2018, 02:58:10 AM »
I need  thermometers that go to at LEAST 300-400 'C, to dry ice temperatures. Something I can take the temperature of many liquefied gases, that'd survive being stuck into theresa may's sou....who the fuck am I kidding? SOUL? she no more has  one of those than I have  molten iridium for blood and lasers that shoot out of my eyes :autism:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2018, 03:58:28 AM »
As I was saying in another thread, an HP printer.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »

Do you need a super fast one with a high capacity output or a very accurate one that can make a photographic quality image?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »
I need an MFP. Thinking about getting this one. The output quality is high enough, the scanner does double-sided scans, and the drivers are fully Linux-friendly.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »
As I was saying in another thread, an HP printer.

The laser is good, don't touch the inkjet. Last one I had blew the fuser before I ever had to buy toner for it though.

Brother is another good one...I think I'm on year 6, but I didn't go with a color this time since I'm short on space.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »
Still need the spare thermometers, both mercury filled and non-metallic (for microwave chemistry)

The Hg ones are  hard to get sometimes  now, because mercury  is  demonised the world over, by pretty much everybody who doesn't have a personal stake in the mercury business.

Sure,  it's toxic, but the bulk metal is of low toxicity, it's only mercury vapour, and soluble salts of Hg which  are poisonous, as well as the truly and hideously nastily lethal methyl/dimethylmercury,

A big blob of Hg, vapour given off aside,  is inert, more or less, one could stick one's tongue in it and not be poisoned.

The trend is, to use gallium-indium-tin (galinstan) in the metal type now, but while liquid at RT, it freezes solid at just fridge temperatures  IIRC, certainly easily. So no use  at all if one is measuring temperature of something in a dry ice/acetone bath, or other sub-zero applications where things must be kept VERY cold indeed, so I  don't like galinstan ones. Only one I ever had,  I bought  from  a pharmacy because I wanted to snap the end  off and take the galinstan out to use it  as  a  substitute of  low toxicity for mercury in a chemical process.

I won't be buying another, unless I want to do the same thing. I want +300 degrees 'C to at least -50 or so.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2018, 01:34:59 PM »
I'd like  to buy  1kg each of potssium or sodium cyanide, as well as the same of sodium azide.

I'll probably go for sodium cyanide,  out of the two salts, since the cyanide  anion is what I'd be paying for, the other end, as  an alkali metal salt at least, is irrelevant in every other respect but that of the price,  and Na is usually cheaper than K