Educational

Author Topic: What do you want/need to buy?  (Read 4520 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What do you want/need to buy?
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2016, 11:04:23 AM »
:laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2016, 08:38:54 PM »
I could do with a Graham condenser. So much more effective than my current ones, which are of the Liebig type.

Although I also want a new Vigreaux column, and either 100g calcium metal, as small shot, or a couple hundred grams of strontium metal. Reactivity is less than lithium or sodium, the typical go-to in Birch reductions/Birch-Benkeser reductions, so will have less if any tendency to reduce a phenyl ring to either a 1,4-cyclohexadiene or a fully de-aromatization to a cyclohexane. Although with sodium the latter could prove useful in testing de-aromatized versions of existing psychedelic phenethylamines, basically, propylhexedrine analogs of for example, 2C-B, 2C-D, 2C-T-7 and the like, for activity as 5HT2aR-active serotonin receptor agonists. Although I wouldn't 'bee' too surprised if the planar, flat nature of the benzene ring is necessary for steric reasons, to allow 5HT2a receptor binding in an agonist conformation.

Also I'd very much like more nitromethane and nitroethane, because some fucking prick stole all I had from me.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2018, 03:11:08 AM »
A sterilisation for a certain young male cat we have. He will be going to the vet some time next week.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »
Well NOW my problem is finding a reaction and a scale suitable to make use of a brick-sized chunk of sodium metal, to be used in a single reaction, rather than finding enough Na to use in a reaction, without leaving enough to blow things all to hell, I've gone and got myself both a plentiful lot of Li metal and a larger than fist-sized chunk of sodium just begging for a Beauveault-Blanc reduction, but thats rather than  large quantity, with quite a lot of 'boom' potential if added over anything than many hours in tiny bits.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »
A sterilisation for a certain young male cat we have. He will be going to the vet some time next week.
:GA: :GA:

Notice, I used two.
It is the responsible thing to do. I applaud your courage. I did not have the courage or ballZ to do the same for my pet terrier a few years back and I lost him to his hormones and busy traffic. Sad day.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
I need to buy another 10 liter can of dichloromethane (a solvent with similar properties to chloroform, but a lot cheaper than chloroform), I have a little left, and I'll redistill the dichlor tjhat was used in my  last lab project, redistilll it to purify it, after first washing it with water then drying it with first dessicants then molecular sieves.

Running critically low on dichlor. I need to buys some more  pure, undenatured  ethanol too,  I think I'll go on ebay for that and get the  same russsian 'ethylic spiritus' (translation), I'll buy a  couple of liters I think, to last a while. There is a russki brand  that isn't denatured, in fact, drinkable, high purity EtOH at £20 a liter!)  if diluted to about 70% EtOH, it can be made into some lethal little shots, one shot and you are hammered, two and you are unconsious within minutes.

Need to buy some LAH and Red-Al, and some sodium or potassium cyanide.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »
From my own experience, effective anaesthetic is important when a doctor (or vet) is disconnecting your nads.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2018, 09:51:42 PM »
No shit.....you don't say.....

Although I would rather keep my nads where they are so if I meet the right girl, I can have kids.

But if I did get them...disconnected,  anyone doing it better have a shitload of pain meds and anaesthetic. Sure as shit they aren't doing it while  I am conscious.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2018, 10:18:35 PM »
I had mine done at a hospital in Bangkok. I figure they do so many gender reassignments there that it's a good idea to be awake so you don't get wheeled into the wrong operating room and wake up with a vagina.

The scary part is that you are fully awake and they strap you down. Arms and legs.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2018, 10:23:29 PM »
Fuck that! no  way in hell. 

And if you did just wake up with a vagina, that would be so much fucked up its barely possible to quantify.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »
:GA: :GA:

Notice, I used two.
It is the responsible thing to do. I applaud your courage. I did not have the courage or ballZ to do the same for my pet terrier a few years back and I lost him to his hormones and busy traffic. Sad day.
Yeah, that is sad. :(

Kira is mostly an indoor cat and we don't want him marking his territory around the house. So it's tomorrow he will have surgery. No breakfast for him and he's to be at the vet at 8:45am.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2018, 08:08:30 AM »
Poor wee moggy :( *lestat sends millions of snuggles for the little gouy*

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »
He's sitting and staring at me right now, most likely wondering where his breakfast is.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
Aw :(

Scratch behind his ears for me Ren?

As for  me, got my eyes on a couple of gallon jugs of dichloromethane.

I've been reading a couple interesting little articles too, and they are making me want  some tosyl chloride, and the other paper, making me REALLY want some sodium azide, the stuff they use as the gas   generating chemical in car airbags as the propellant charge. Its a reagent to be careful with, for more than one reason. It can deflagrate if ignited or subjected to impact/friction or direct flame, although it doesn't detonate, the alkali metal azides and alkaline earth metal azides don't, they just deflagrate, go up in a big plume of rapidly expanding  hot gases and alkali/alkaline earth metal bits.

Also, the azide anion is highly toxic, the level of and mechanism of toxicity both being similar to that of cyanide, inhibition of the electron transport chain and choking up  cellular respiration. Can kill very quickly in case of poisoning, and lastly, one has to be very, very, very careful to avoid solutions  of sodium etc. azide coming into contact with solutions of lead salts, mercury salts and other heavy metal salts, and also avoid contact with transition metal salts. This is because things like lead azide can  precipitate out, which are, unlike sodium and the rest of the alkali metal azides, lead azide and other heavy and IIRC  (not sure, would have to look it up first, but obviously I would rule out such hazardous interactions before allowing NaN3 to interact with a transition metal compound, it would have to be confirmed in advance that such a transition metal azide WASN'T a sensitive primary explosive before any reaction with azides involving transition metals, knowing what I do about heavy metal azides. They used to use lead azide in bullet primers, like mercury fulminate, in the part of the primer cap that the gun's hammer strikes, igniting the lead azide and causing it to detonate, igniting the propellant powder charge.

So of course care is vital.

In this case its not for anything explosive-related at all though, but for some organoazide chemistry directed at very high yielding, clean and rapid synthesis of isocyanates from aldehydes via Curtius rearrangement of an intermediate acyl azide, meant to give very high yields, very quickly too and cleanly as  well.

And depending or not on whether the steric constraints on some specific molecules that permit their not having EXTREME instability (not explosively, just in terms of their having a tendency, as some similar molecules do, to polymerize and turn to totally useless utter crap, of a completely unsalveagable nature,  I.e once  it happens, if it does, 'now you've gone and done it', nothing for it but to start the synthesis all over again and hope you can manage it the next time round, if the steric protection methods usable to arrest this process can bee made to coincide with the steric and electronic constraints which allow for receptor binding (as an [ideally decent efficacy and potency partial] agonist) at certain selected target sites, then I ought to give myself some lessons in making azidoketones; I've been having quite a few interesting ideas of late.

Oh, and I want to buy (and  REALLY  sure as shit stinks, do NOT wish to make, because its nasty as hell, dangerously corrosive stuff, extremely  strong acid, fumes in air, and reacts very violently with water, dangerously violently, and synthesizing it....no thanks, IIRC it involves something like chlorinating sulfur trioxide (sulfuric acid anhydride), whilst dissolved in anhydrous fuming sulfuric acid, so buying it is definitely the best option) myself some chlorosulfonic acid.

Also some imidazole, as well as some oleum (fuming concentrated sulfuric acid with additional SO3 dissolved in it), because of this really, REALLY neat sounding ionic liquid based on a disulfonated imidazole structure, apparently the nitrate salt can do some pretty wondrous things vis a vis forming, at room temperature, conjugated nitroalkenes in super-mild conditions directly from the corresponding alpha,beta-unsaturated alkene compounds. I've never heard of a reagent which would permit that before, The ionic liquid itself looks rather a bitch to make, given the nasty things one needs to use to make it in the first place, but once that is done, it ought to be reusable, just re-form the nitrate salt, but the disulfonylimidazole part of this specific ionic liquid, the ionic liquid itself, once you've got it, you've got it and it can be recycled, should just need, after use, to be reacted with some nitric acid. And since I've got IIRC a couple of pounds of sodium nitrate (forget the exact weight I  have of NaNO3, but plenty enough) I can simply distill a mixture of sodium nitrate and concentrated sulfuric  acid together, and the distillate collected in the receiver will be concentrated nitric acid:)

(I would have white fuming nitric acid on my wish list, but it isn't going to be since I can make WFNA  any time I want, nitrate salt, concentrated sulfuric acid,  boil it all up together and distill and  I've got all the fuming nitric acid I could eat, metaphorically speaking of course,  since HNO3, fuming or otherwise, of either colour, are not what you could call high on my list of  culinary treats I'm just aching to try:autism:)

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »
Kira is fine now. The vet said he was a very nervous cat when being put into his cat cage there. When we picked him up, he had a hard plastic cone on which we were supposed to keep on Kira for 10 days. When we got him home he wouldn't even walk with the cone on, let alone eat his dinner. So we took the cone off. He washed his back end but not excessively and is going well. now.
Tek'ma'tae