Educational

Author Topic: Got arrested yesterday!  (Read 4484 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Got arrested yesterday!
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
Well, as an update, I went to court and asked if I could sit outside the courtroom, because you aren't allowed to wear hats and sunglasses and my light sensitivity just exacerbates my anxiety, as any of my sensory issues would. They complied and took my name down and said they would come get me when it was my time. Almost 7 hours later, I went back in and at a recess I asked if they were going to call me. Apparently they forgot I was outside and I was found guilty in absentia. The other bailiff was cool and went back to talk to the judge, so when the recess was over he called me up and we talked about the issue. He couldn't judge on the charges because the deputy was long gone, so he gave me a continuance until 29 September 2010.

To summarize, it was cool they were understanding of my issues, but then again they forgot all about me and I sat there all day with no sense of time because I left my phone in my car and there was no clock. I literally sat on a hard bench and never got up the whole time. Ultimately, the judge seems to be pretty reasonable, so I am confident when I return that I can reason with him. I have a clean record, so I am not a menace to society...yet! ;p

:plus:  for staying calm enough to talk to the bailiff and judge after discovering that you had been found guilty in absentia through no fault of your own.
If that had happened to me, it would probably have taken all my strength not to start  :bigcry: !
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »
Well, as an update, I went to court and asked if I could sit outside the courtroom, because you aren't allowed to wear hats and sunglasses and my light sensitivity just exacerbates my anxiety, as any of my sensory issues would. They complied and took my name down and said they would come get me when it was my time. Almost 7 hours later, I went back in and at a recess I asked if they were going to call me. Apparently they forgot I was outside and I was found guilty in absentia. The other bailiff was cool and went back to talk to the judge, so when the recess was over he called me up and we talked about the issue. He couldn't judge on the charges because the deputy was long gone, so he gave me a continuance until 29 September 2010.

To summarize, it was cool they were understanding of my issues, but then again they forgot all about me and I sat there all day with no sense of time because I left my phone in my car and there was no clock. I literally sat on a hard bench and never got up the whole time. Ultimately, the judge seems to be pretty reasonable, so I am confident when I return that I can reason with him. I have a clean record, so I am not a menace to society...yet! ;p

:plus:  for staying calm enough to talk to the bailiff and judge after discovering that you had been found guilty in absentia through no fault of your own.
If that had happened to me, it would probably have taken all my strength not to start  :bigcry: !

Thanks, but the Xanax XR deserves the credit. It was wearing down and after talking to the bailiff, but before getting to talk to the judge, I sat down and put my head down and cried. I did get my composure back, though. That was a long and tiring day emotionally and physically, and now I have to do it again. Yay! :thumbdn:
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2010, 09:10:27 PM »
Don't worry.  If worse comes to worse, we'll make couldbecousin use her virtually untouched oven to bake you a cake with a file in it.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »

Thanks, but the Xanax XR deserves the credit. It was wearing down and after talking to the bailiff, but before getting to talk to the judge, I sat down and put my head down and cried. I did get my composure back, though. That was a long and tiring day emotionally and physically, and now I have to do it again. Yay! :thumbdn:

With any luck the second time will go a little easier. They aren't likely to forget you twice, right?  :viking:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:44 PM »
Don't worry.  If worse comes to worse, we'll make couldbecousin use her virtually untouched oven to bake you a cake with a file in it.

I actually bake a really good cake, will have to ask my sister for the recipe though. Then the file...  :evillaugh:

People forget.

Osensitive1

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »
With any luck the second time will go a little easier. They aren't likely to forget you twice, right?  :viking:
Maybe since they made the exception to sit outside the first time, they will just allow the sunglasses inside the second. A pair of wire frame sunglasses with small lenses would look just like regluar glasses but dark, and maybe acceptable.

I actually bake a really good cake, will have to ask my sister for the recipe though. Then the file...  :evillaugh:
Wonder if people really did that, or if it's just history created by television.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2010, 12:00:01 PM »
Why aren't dark glasses acceptable in court? It seems like a silly rule.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2010, 12:24:33 PM »
People that wear dark glasses are dodgy.  :zoinks:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:29 PM »
Also, it's considered bad manners in the US, along with men wearing hats indoors.  BTW, women can wear hats indoors as long as they aren't casual hats like baseball caps.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »
Also, it's considered bad manners in the US, along with men wearing hats indoors.  BTW, women can wear hats indoors as long as they aren't casual hats like baseball caps.

It's considered bad manners here too, but it's not forbidden.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2010, 03:15:40 PM »

Yes. Your point being...? ;D

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

Nothing, as usual.  :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »

Nothing, as usual.  :laugh:

That should be good news to millions of wearers of dark glasses the world over!  :coolguy:  :checkout:  8)

People forget.

DukeNukem

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2010, 09:28:29 PM »
You might be a redneck if you got arrested yesterday. Just sayin'... ::)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »

Because the judge wants to look at your eyes to see if you are telling the truth.

There are several tell-tale movements of the eyes when processing certain types of information, which could give the judge a clue as to the witness' veracity.

I thought that when someone wore sunglasses for medical reasons, they were allowed, however.