Educational

Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46192 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2880 on: December 03, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
Found several decent offers on used Google Pixel mobiles on ebay. I need one to replace m old one.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2881 on: December 03, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
Found a coupon for pizza which is awesome because I forgot to put the chili in the slow cooker this morning for dinner and it's grocery night so I've got slim pickins
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2882 on: December 03, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »
I really want a pizza now. One with lots of cheese and pepperoni.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2883 on: December 03, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
Actually not today, but yesterday ...

I have been collecting reusable wood. I am not a fan of using pallet woods for my small projects. We can get into why not if you need to know more or if you are trying to use used pallets for your own projects, yikes.

I generally look for old furniture set along the curb, often made from whole hardwoods. I get lucky sometimes and find a treasure.
I came across a huge ancient "chest of drawers" six feet plus some tall with seven drawers in it. Now the outer body was made of plywood and veneered, crappy, terribly beat up with a broken leg on the bottom, but the entire section of drawers was made of half inch oak planks. Very re-usable!

Interestingly, the entire front was covered in scroll work or "gingerbread" as they call it at times. I can defeat the hide glue, save and salvage all the gingerbread as well from the drawer fronts, which are also plywood and not worth saving, but the gingerbread could be fun.

Next to it was an ancient bed frame made from solid cherry. Now most of the wood is large scale and must be re-sawn to be usable for my "little" projects. But the POSTS, more than five feet tall, were more than four inches in diameter at their slightest dimension.

Obviously, re-purposing this wood into some modern thing will require some sawing and shaping, but where on earth could one source fifty or maybe hundred year old solid stable oak or cherry for free? Well, the back allies of old neighborhoods for one.

Basically, I just added about one fourth the size of my "scrap wood reserves" to the growing pile. By the time I get all those awesome solid oak drawers sorted, wow!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:08:42 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2884 on: December 04, 2019, 11:07:30 PM »
The cub's winter toque, which was lost earlier this week at daycare. He was running around like a little maniac at the end of the day while I was trying to stuff him into his winter jacket, and when he started running he was wearing it, and when I caught him he wasn't.

It turned up at the end of today, in the cubby of the kid next to his. I must have remembered to put a name on it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2885 on: December 05, 2019, 12:42:41 PM »
I really want a pizza now. One with lots of cheese and pepperoni.
I had the leftovers today for lunch. Cheese and pepperoni is always my choice. But this time I tried hot sausage, green peppers and pineapple and it was SO good. Zero regrets.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2886 on: December 06, 2019, 10:34:34 PM »
Pepperoni, green peppers and mushroom is my poison of choice.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2887 on: December 10, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »
That I still don't like shopping or crowds and putting them together is like death to my nervous system  :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2888 on: December 10, 2019, 11:10:46 AM »
That I'm still depleted of energy.
Just enough left to take care of a sick kid, but that's about it.

Wish it was possible to order some decent food, in this little village. But will have to make that myself.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2889 on: December 10, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »
I also unboxed a crate with stuff my mother "dumped" here.
There were some awesome memory lane treasures. My first fork and spoon. And also the tin in which my paternal grandmother kept peppermints. Even two of those tins. I related my oldest brother if he also wants one. The younger two will not have these memories. My gran passed away too young for them to remember the place.

Sweet finds.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2890 on: December 10, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »
Pork tibia bones for the dogs which I gave to them frozen but I think they're still too powerful in their chewing and it might splinter. Giving them a bit of time with them and then will have to entice them to give them up.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2891 on: December 14, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »

Well, it is involved.

The easy thing was that my mom sent us a fifteen pound box of fresh Texas pecans from her and her sister's trees. They sit around for days shelling all their pecans to give to various folk.
Fun fact:  my now dead uncle who always planted peanuts still has peanuts growing on his land three years after his death. There was also a bag of peanuts in that box my mom sent. About four pounds of fresh Texas peanuts. His older brother, still alive and well takes care of his place and harvests the peanuts, peaches, plums, pears and apricots every year. Most of the peanut crop goes to the cattle, but he keeps the best part for people he likes. Just glad to be one of those people.

The weird part is that I was passing by a furniture rental place and saw two large crates being unloaded. The wood was oddly colored. I stopped and asked what they were going to do with those crates. They said they would just crush them down and send them to the dump.
I asked if they could wait a while on that and could I come back and take them. "You take them? SURE!"
I came back with the help of my neighbor and his truck and we scavenged two huge sofa sized crates made out of pure mahogany. Obviously these came from China and I was a bit worried at first, but the international stamp on the side noted that they were heat treated, not fumigated. We broke them down and loaded them up.
My neighbor was not interested in the wood, so I filled his tank with fuel for a small tip, thanking him for his help.

So, I found a big box of nuts from my mom and a half a truck load of fairly high quality, free lumber.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2892 on: March 08, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »
Went out riding tonight, stumbled upon what looked a clean out of some sort, so I'll be checking that again next week.

Brand new Hallmark honeymoon album still in box.

Photo albums still shrink wrapped.

Misc Wall hangings, pictures, candle holders, 1 large wreath, and photo display frames new in box.

Small bedside stand.

New in box shower curtain hooks.

New king size pillow shams.

Halloween witch and scarecrow decoration, new in box.

Never opened inflatable catboy yard decoration for Halloween.

Ottlite lighted makeup mirror new in box.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2893 on: April 07, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »
A quarter, dime, 4 pennies, a brass nut and a toy car that looks to be from the 60's in my front yard
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #2894 on: April 18, 2020, 08:51:04 PM »
My iPhone charger ive been trying to find for ages which I've ended up replacing and now I don't even own the iPhone.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks: