Educational

Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46195 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2850 on: September 10, 2019, 02:35:31 AM »
I found lots of snails in the garden.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2851 on: September 25, 2019, 09:33:58 PM »
Tonight's find was a "mystery box"...random stuff in a box at the curb, if it looks interesting...in the bed of the truck it goes to pick through when we get home. Sometimes it's junk, sometimes it's not.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2852 on: September 25, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »
Is that Tech Drawing stuff in the bottom picture?

When I was in school I bought a really nice compass from the teacher for $10 which was expensive back then (sheesh, I sound old).
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2853 on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:27 AM »

When I was in school I bought a really nice compass from the teacher for $10 which was expensive back then (sheesh, I sound old).

Looks to be. Vernier caliper, adjustable triangles, Starrett dividers and calipers 4", 6", and 8".

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2854 on: September 26, 2019, 02:11:19 PM »

Looks to be. Vernier caliper, adjustable triangles, Starrett dividers and calipers 4", 6", and 8".

What an awesome find. Hard to believe that someone just dumps stuff like that.
Starrett is considered one of the upper brands, btw.

:thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2855 on: September 26, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »
Tonight's find was a "mystery box"...random stuff in a box at the curb, if it looks interesting...in the bed of the truck it goes to pick through when we get home. Sometimes it's junk, sometimes it's not.

WOW :thumbup:

I found a complete Stanley no. 45 combination plane with the cutters in a tool box with about a dozen big chisels for $40
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2856 on: September 26, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »

What an awesome find. Hard to believe that someone just dumps stuff like that.
Starrett is considered one of the upper brands, btw.

:thumbup:

Yep, my dad had a collection...micrometers mostly, so my eyes lit up when I spotted the logo on the bags. 

WOW :thumbup:

I found a complete Stanley no. 45 combination plane with the cutters in a tool box with about a dozen big chisels for $40

That plane was worth it alone. I'd love to run across one of the vintage "Sweetheart" (Hart logo) ones. Probably wouldn't be able part with it though knowing me.  :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2857 on: September 26, 2019, 10:50:12 PM »
I have a few nice pieces I got from a guy many years ago, but most of yours look brand new!!
He had told me he had a box of tools for sale, some wrenches, a couple of hammers, various small sockets, Allen wrenches, punches, some one inch drive ratchet and sockets stuff (big stuff, of which I had none).

We met up and he had quit his job a few days before and was getting out of machining. He threw all his measuring gauges into the box, several dividers, calipers, micrometers of various sizes, dial indicators and a few of the more delicate instruments were Starrett but there were also some Mikuni and Stanley. The most valuable thing he tossed in though was a huge assortment of triangle carbide cutting tips for milling.

I had agreed to pay forty bucks for his little six drawer cabinet with "a few tools" in it, but he said for fifty, I could have the whole thing.
Done and done.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2858 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »
A broken Wilton vise for $10  all that seems to be wrong with it is the pin holding the nut sheared off

I have a few nice pieces I got from a guy many years ago, but most of yours look brand new!!
He had told me he had a box of tools for sale, some wrenches, a couple of hammers, various small sockets, Allen wrenches, punches, some one inch drive ratchet and sockets stuff (big stuff, of which I had none).

We met up and he had quit his job a few days before and was getting out of machining. He threw all his measuring gauges into the box, several dividers, calipers, micrometers of various sizes, dial indicators and a few of the more delicate instruments were Starrett but there were also some Mikuni and Stanley. The most valuable thing he tossed in though was a huge assortment of triangle carbide cutting tips for milling.

I had agreed to pay forty bucks for his little six drawer cabinet with "a few tools" in it, but he said for fifty, I could have the whole thing.
Done and done.

I love buying box lots  :thumbup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2859 on: September 29, 2019, 11:30:23 AM »
Yeah, me too!

When I was doing part time work as an apartment supervisor (that means cleaning out abandoned apartments and preparing them to re-rent to another tenant) I often found crap left that I do not want to remember, but sometimes there were tools and kitchen stuff.
I can not tell you how many hammers and pliers I have found and kept.

I have never consciously thrown away a tool or any sort!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2860 on: October 02, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »
1 Toro self-propelled mower in dire need of a carb rebuild Sun night.

Tonight I found a matching Toro trimmer that smells like they used a whole can of starting fluid on it before they finally gave up.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2861 on: October 03, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
1 Toro self-propelled mower in dire need of a carb rebuild Sun night.

Tonight I found a matching Toro trimmer that smells like they used a whole can of starting fluid on it before they finally gave up.

Two stoke engines respond quickly to starting fluid in the airway. May not run more than three or four cycles, but it confirms that the problem is not spark or compression, so just look at the fuel system to get it going.
It is more of a diagnostic tool with two stroke engines, quite unlike many diesels which sometimes will NOT start in cold without half a can of ether down its throat.

Figure out what is wrong with fuel flow and you might have a cool tool.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2862 on: October 04, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »
Sony wireless headphones.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2863 on: October 05, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »

This was not actually today, but about a week ago.
This is a part of a hollow tree that was still trying to grow. Notice how the "healing" part is beginning to take on a portion of the Mandelbrot form as it tries to close the massive wound.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2864 on: October 07, 2019, 06:44:10 PM »
Nice photo.