Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46188 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2805 on: May 06, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »
Our cat Kira likes my office chair as well. It's black which means he blends well on it. We've looked all over for him before, only to find him on the chair.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2806 on: May 25, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
Our annual road fest ended last Sunday, so it was picking galore with lots of competition Sunday night...and normally after that we'll have dry spell for awhile.

I don't do a lot of picking after the road fest, a lot of younger ones picking that need stuff way more than I do. I set an assortment of stuff out for them myself, it was gone in less than 20 minutes. 

I did get some random Christmas decorations, a dresser that I'm going to convert for an entertainment stand, another spare microwave (2 so far this season), and a coffee pot that I love.

Dresser...one drawer is messed up...but it will need removed anyways for what I want to do with it.

Microwave...most people don't pick these up because they assume they don't work. 75% of the time they do or it's something dumb like the door switch, scrap if they don't. I test and pop the case off outside to make sure I'm not getting any hitchhikers or spilled stuff down inside before they even come near the front door though. 

This little guy was "new" in the original box, I figured I'd test it out before flipping it. It's a Regal Poly Perk from the 1970's. Needless to say it's staying, it makes a excellent cup of coffee. 20x better than the Keurig I gave to my SIL and 10x better than instant.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2807 on: May 25, 2019, 04:47:50 PM »
5 pieces  of Griswold cast iron a skillet, three corn bread pans and a bread stick pan and  a big old parts cabinet 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2808 on: May 25, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
5 pieces  of Griswold cast iron a skillet, three corn bread pans and a bread stick pan and  a big old parts cabinet

:o Damn. Finding Griswold around here is like mining for diamonds.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2809 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »

:o Damn. Finding Griswold around here is like mining for diamonds.

It seems to come in waves I haven't gotten any in awhile then it's all over.  This was from two different sales just around the corner from each other 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #2810 on: May 26, 2019, 10:28:08 PM »

My momma had one of those cast iron cornbread pans when I was growing up. I loved those little cornbreads shaped like corncobs, even though I don't eat cornbread.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2811 on: May 27, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
A metal garden table meant to also serve as a fire pit...missing the bowl for the fire pit.

3/4 a spool of new cd-r's and some odds and ends.

A few wire hanging planters, 3 are meant to hang from the deck rails and quit pretty.

3 vintage recipe boxes stuffed with hand-written and typed recipe cards from the house clean out of a woman well in her 90's....Texas sheet cake, applesauce brownies or porcupine meatballs anyone? Still searching through them.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2812 on: May 27, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »

Not today, but yesterday, walking along a very busy pathway at the track, I found a twenty dollar bill.
I picked it up, looked around, everyone else was drunk or mouth fucking, so I put it in my pocket.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #2813 on: May 27, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »

Not today, but yesterday, walking along a very busy pathway at the track, I found a twenty dollar bill.
I picked it up, looked around, everyone else was drunk or mouth fucking, so I put it in my pocket.

Give it to the next beggar you meet.   :orly:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2814 on: May 29, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
Found the fuses I bought some time ago.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2815 on: May 29, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »

Give it to the next beggar you meet.   :orly:

I often see young couples or some such types stranded on the highway, out of gas or something. My instinct is to ignore them and allow them to "boil in their own pudding" (sorry for paraphrasing so terribly) but I sometimes see a true story of hardship being related. Maybe I am just simply a sucker, but I have to help, SOMETIMES. I sometimes see a scam forming. Fuck that!

They are asking for two or five bucks to get them home to their phone chargers, sometimes just asking for a way to charge their phones.
Can not tell you how many times I looked into my wallet to help and was disappointed that (I do not keep cash on me these days) to only find twenty or forty bucks in my wallet. 

This batch of FREE CASH possibly went to a modern yuppie type who probably makes more money than we do. Guessing, of course.

My daughter is graduating and she is involved in several "Pitch In" or everybody brings stuff parties.

SO today I pick her up from school, planning to go shopping for sweet treats for her to take to tomorrow's event when she realizes she left her wallet and all her money at home. Hero Dad, here, I asked her how much she needed. OK about twenty something bucks. I gave her thirty bucks to shop, waited in the car so I could smoke my pipe and a panicked phone call came up from her. "Dad, I do not know what to do! This has never happened before!" I asked her to slow down and talk clearly. Turns out the thirty bucks I gave her, she lost in the store somewhere.

Now I know who shops there for the most part. It is local assholes using a temporary job in central Indiana as a stepping stone career move and are mostly bitter about even being here.
There are also local young start ups who are barely getting by and if they lost the coupon for something they can not buy it, due to budgeting to the dime or so. Not to put too fine a point on something we usually do anomalously for strangers in need (my wife actually got me started) but we try to grab up the items they were putting back and pay for them.
We remember how it was, twenty years ago with two very needy kids and limited funds.
Now, in retirement and my wife working at a great job we make about five times what we did way back then.

I can only hope that that lost thirty bucks went to one of these young couples, having to put a toy back so they could afford enough diapers and formula, and not some fucking smug faced, bottom feeeding lawyer in a six thousand dollar suit.

So I found twenty bucks at the race on Sunday and lost thirty bucks a few days later.

I just hope someone found it who NEEDED it.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #2816 on: May 29, 2019, 08:34:48 PM »
I prefer passive beggars who I can approach. Strangers approaching me for anything sort of freaks me out, especially if I'm alone. I mostly get irritated by people who hang out at Aldi trying to get the cart quarters. I never put my cart back anyway because I'm lazy, so it ticks me off to have someone follow me to my car offering to load my bags when I don't want them touching my stuff, so I just tell them to back off and I'll leave the cart behind for them when I'm done. A couple years ago there was an old scruffy guy who hung out at Aldi, but he just sat in the shade by the driveway entrance with a cardboard sign. I gave him money a couple times. Last weekend I gave money to a beggar at walmart who was doing the same thing, sitting at the edge of the parking lot with a sign. I didn't even have any cash that day because Jack hid her mother's day cash so I wont give it all to beggars. I got some cash at the register because he looked pretty rough and I was there to buy things I didn't really need. :dunno:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2817 on: May 30, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
I prefer passive beggars who I can approach. Strangers approaching me for anything sort of freaks me out, especially if I'm alone. I mostly get irritated by people who hang out at Aldi trying to get the cart quarters. I never put my cart back anyway because I'm lazy, so it ticks me off to have someone follow me to my car offering to load my bags when I don't want them touching my stuff, so I just tell them to back off and I'll leave the cart behind for them when I'm done. A couple years ago there was an old scruffy guy who hung out at Aldi, but he just sat in the shade by the driveway entrance with a cardboard sign. I gave him money a couple times. Last weekend I gave money to a beggar at walmart who was doing the same thing, sitting at the edge of the parking lot with a sign. I didn't even have any cash that day because Jack hid her mother's day cash so I wont give it all to beggars. I got some cash at the register because he looked pretty rough and I was there to buy things I didn't really need. :dunno:

I always carry a .45 Auto, so I do not worry much about people approaching me, but they had better have  good reason.
Spreading dirty water on my windshield and offering to remove it for five bucks is NOT a good reason to approach me. I probably will not shoot someone for that, but I might scare the shit out of them and get that shit off my windshield for free.

Those people are criminals in my book.
Beggars are not criminals, mostly.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #2818 on: May 30, 2019, 07:00:29 PM »

I always carry a .45 Auto, so I do not worry much about people approaching me, but they had better have  good reason.
Spreading dirty water on my windshield and offering to remove it for five bucks is NOT a good reason to approach me. I probably will not shoot someone for that, but I might scare the shit out of them and get that shit off my windshield for free.

Those people are criminals in my book.
Beggars are not criminals, mostly.

I've never had a beggar offer to wash my windows. I thought that was only for tv.  :lol1:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2819 on: May 31, 2019, 12:56:21 PM »
For TV?

People will do anything for their fifteen minutes. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein