Educational

Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46203 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2775 on: July 01, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »
Not my find unfortunately, but had to share...this was posted elsewhere.

You're looking at a dumpster full of mid-century modern Herman Miller chair shells.

Around 127 of them...picked (with permission) and resold for a cool $10,000.

Worst part about this is I bet they were complete chairs and the clean out company scrapped the legs not knowing what the hell they had.

Too bad about the legs wonder how much they would have gotten for complete chairs.  We had a set of four with the matching round table,  my mother still has it.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2776 on: July 02, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »
Just found a hand-painted Delft plate (windmill in blue on a white background, mint condition), thats one of the big name ceramic artists isn't it? Any idea how much it might be worth, you dutch aspies and aspiettes or any potheads...I mean...whatever you call somebody with a hardon for ceramic ware art.

Side-plate scale rather than full dinner plate size.  I can post a pic of the front side of it if anyone thinks it'd help get a very rough idea of its worth. And later I could do one of the backside. Although that isn't possible at the moment, as I just found it for the second time, after originally retrieving it from a skip-diving mission. Hm...had to be done. I actually bagged a whole load of plates and cups, with the intention of using them for evaporating small amounts of powder/crystals from solution (easy to see, as they are most of a really dark green color), didn't see any name on those, but, after first trying to catch and release a moth trapped in the house, because I didn't want the poor devil starving before I could get it out of the house or it'd get itself outside. Tried to catch it in a lab beaker, but the moth seems to have pretty good eyesight and caught me, even sneaking up carefully and slowly from a distance, before I could get close. So I decided, rather than keep trying and failing to chase something that makes a habit of hanging out on the ceiling and can fly, I'd get a shallow plate it could alight on and not drown, with a color that hopefully would be reflect some UV, and be perceptible to a nectivorous flying insect's visual range, and poured in a generous helping of strong sugar solution in water.

If the moth isn't out tomorrow, I'll have another crack and for longer per eviction notice being served. But its hot, and the poor thing will waste so much energy without being able to replace it feeding. Or wouldn't be able to  without my offering of moth-libations. I'm hoping to the maximum that it'll escape tonight or at least take some sugar water. Might not have vitamins and trace elements  like natural plant nectar but its at least nutritional support. Wish I could do something about the heat though, for both of us.

Uggh buggering bugger getting buggered. That just makes me realize that I have to work too. Hotplate in hot room. Wonderful. Glad that its at least something I can do with just gloves, goggles, gask mask and face shield. Because I am NOT wearing a leather bloody trenchcoat just for some non-toxic type strong corrosives. Well I say nontoxic, I sure as hell wouldn't drink it, even if it weren't corrosive, but it isn't the sort of thing that you get a tiny burn, or come into skin contact and you die screaming after six months of...well...more screaming. A phosphorus halide, which breaks down into concentrated acid too when in contact with H2O including course, people-juice. And I'm quite attached to mine. I can't spare any. Well not unless its piss, but obviously it'd have to burn its way through a lot of other bits of people-juice-wiring before it gets near my bladder if it did. Which it isn't. Because having my cock and balls melted, burnt off and the charred smoking liquefied remains billowing off clouds of steaming concentrated acid-fumes that'll strip paint from walls and rust iron and corrode copper pipes if it comes into contact....thats just not compatible with my long term goals.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2777 on: July 02, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
@ Lestat - Your Delft find is probably not worth much.  There have been tons of them made and it seems like every tourist who visits Holland comes back with something Delft, some wooden shoes and some chocolate.  I've got a bunch of tiles I picked up in the late 70's.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2778 on: July 02, 2018, 10:43:56 PM »
Yeah I hardly expected a priceless antique, more trying to work out whether its 50p, a fiver, 20 quid or what have you. Because hey, even a fiver is worth more to me than a plate to use as a crystallizing dish when I can use a plate worth bog all thats suitable only for crystallizing chemicals, and in some cases only crystallizing specific ones to avoid anything else  ending up with less than desirable traces of things in them. A fiver..its a desirable plate to someone, but its half way to a liter of dichloromethane to me, maybe a couple of liters of methanol, some acetone or a resupply of caustic potash or sulfuric acid to me. Any of which have infinitely more use and more value as a result, than a plate with a picture on it.

After all, what am I going to do with a picture of a fucking windmill? its not really the kind of thing that stirs my soul, or whatever it is I still have left of it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2779 on: July 03, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
This poster helping a friend cleaning out his house to get it ready for sale

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2780 on: July 04, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
This poster helping a friend cleaning out his house to get it ready for sale

That should be worth a little $$. There's one on fleabay now for $165.00.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2781 on: July 04, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2782 on: July 04, 2018, 08:36:24 PM »
 :lol1:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2783 on: July 04, 2018, 09:38:24 PM »
:lol1:

Right!?!

I do not care if it is true or not, that shit is FUNNY!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2784 on: August 21, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »
A few quarters, a dime, and two pennies, some copper flashing, a matchbox car and some bottle caps in a friends front lawn.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2785 on: August 26, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »
More change in the front lawn

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2786 on: August 26, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »
I found my daughter's toy lion. The one that has been helping her sleep since she lost her toy puppy about 5 years ago. It was behind the headrest on the big sofa along with my son's toy puppy that he's had for about 11 years. Both had been missing for at least a couple of months.

My son hides stuff and forgets where he hid it. I was actually looking for my daughter's handphone which he has most likely hidden and forgotten about.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2787 on: September 01, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »
A cheep wood lathe on the side of the road with a free sign on it.  Oddly enough I bought a small hobby metal lathe at an estate sale about twenty minutes later

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2788 on: September 02, 2018, 04:12:27 AM »
Caught 3 fish today. One had already been caught very recently, it had someone else's hook in in that hadn't started to rust. Free hook!!!
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2789 on: September 04, 2018, 03:39:29 AM »
Found a copy of an old game (early-mid '90s), X-com terror from the deep. Absolute classic, not all that well known, but its a dual-role game, part world-management in realtime, buying supplies, selling surplus (and selling captured enemy technology on the black market, if its surplus to requirements), research and development, such as autopsies and interrogations of enemy aliens (the former generally follows the latter :autism:), hiring and firing troops, scientists, engineers (the scientists do the research on both X-com developed new tech, and on captured alien technology, whilst the engineers build the goods, although captured ammunition, weapons, can be used directly also, scavenging as much as possible is a good idea, means you haven't to waste time, money and in many cases some scarce resources, such as the radioactive element the aliens use in their technology for power generation and their powerful ultrasound-based weaponry)

The troops do the other part, the missions, where alien submarines have either landed to get up to whatever sort of no good they are getting upto, the boots on the ground putting the bullets and grenades in faces, at least for creatures that HAVE one, and exterminating the nasty as hell 'hacked' former humans. Its quite a lovecraftian themed sort of game, they even use the name 'deep ones' for the former humans, surgically and chemically altered beyond recognition, and given a short ranged, inaccurate but very, very deadly electrical weapon , unfortunately it seems to be built into them, hard-wired into their tissues and useless to the troops, but to start out with, there are all sorts of tools for evening up the odds a bit, from the lowliest little gas propelled dart pistol, to automatic harpoon rifles, gas-powered cannons firing solid bolts, either armor piercing, or tipped with a choice of either an explosive charge or a white phosphorus shell, as well as a slightly less powerful autocannon, each round does less damage per hit, than the big bulky gas cannon, but unlike the latter, the autocannon thing can fire on automatic, capable of launching bursts of high explosive, white phosphorus or armor piercing mini-torpedoes. Or failing that, there are always regular torpedoes, scaled down to something a soldier can fire from the shoulder, manual reload only, single shot per, but capable of doing a lot of damage with a bloody big rocket, either high explosive or white phosphorus, as well as grenades, dye-based grenades that function like smoke grenades, for cover, or blocking line of sight, sneaking up on something you want dead or captured alive (for that, there is a sort of cryogenic tazer prod, freezes enemies solid, although good for hand to hand assaults only, meaning you have to sneak up behind the enemy, with a backup trooper ready, if the thermal shock prod doesn't put the alien down and out cold, so to speak, then the other trooper is there to just put a burst of harpoon gun or armor-piercing heavy weapons fire into the little sod at point blank range.

DOS game, but playing it on a linux box using DOSbox, the missions always vary too, aliens and scenery in different places, quite a number of different species of alien working together, all come down on a huge crashed spacecraft/hybrid sub/aircraft. Been down there somewhere in the depths since before the extinction of the dinosaurs, in cryogenic stasis, now they are beginning to first attempt to repair the craft, and then to raise it up from the abyss and wipe the human race out/enslave the remainder, and X-com, are the only force in their way that has a cat in hell's chance, national defense forces getting the shit kicked out of them. So X-com were formed, in a previous, land-based war with relatives of the creatures fought this time around, only genetically and surgically altered as aquatic races.

Already captured a few of their weapons, which make X-com's starting weapons, purchasable ,from the worlds governments look like kid's toys. One shot from even their weakest little pistol is enough to ensure an almost certain kill, or very rarely, a lucky survivor with a critical injury, who is going to die soon unless they get emergency medical care. The medical kits that function under water one has to research and build themselves.

Already started a first line of research, researching a kind of particle beam weapons, automatic, relatively lightweight, and more powerful than anything but the heavy high explosive type weapons, among human technology, even the pistols are, and these, so far are the first, and only ones in the series of a pistol, an automatic, more accurate, more powerful rifle, and a semi-auto only heavy gauss cannon that I've researched and started building in the new game I just started. The pistols, not fantastic accuracy, but more powerful than the harpoon rifles, and even armor piercing fire from the aquatic version of an mini-torpedo-launching autocannon, although not quite as powerful as high explosive fire. A lot lighter though, and a LOT faster to fire, taking less of the time units used to perform all actions, or almost all, be it kneeling to get a better shot off, moving, priming and then throwing grenades, which are timer based, can be set to go off either immediately, or anything up to about 30-something turns from when they hit the deck. The exception being a kind of proximity mine, which are just made to go live, then thrown, anything that moves  close enough, gets a face full of boom. A proximity land (or sea-floor) mine basically.

And some really BIG explosive packs for demolitions. Can't throw them far at all, so setting a timer long enough in turns to GTFO of the area is a good idea if the combat diver isn't to be a suicide bomber. Which isn't the best tactic, not ENTIRELY useless, carrying a live grenade or demolitions  explosive, because they only go off once thrown or dropped and the end turn subroutine in the game code runs. So it means if trying to sneak up on the enemy, but if after putting a bullet in their back, they don't drop, and have time to turn round and fire, if they hit the attempted assassin, then they are screwed, mincemeat. But if they have a dirty great explosive charge clipped to their belt, or in a back/shoulder pack etc. then they have the chance to reach out from the grave and drag their killer to hell with them :autism:
Its an old game, turn based isometric sci-fi with lovecraftian horror elements to it. Even a highly psionic 'great sleeper', the ultimate enemy, if that gets to awake, if the final mission fails. All hell breaks loose, literally. The coffin thing its in, it's stasis pod, its even marked with a face with a load of tentacles that looks AWFULLY C'thulhu-like. That and deep ones? I think I know who's books Microprose were reading when they coded that game.

Kinda novel, neat principle, combat diver special forces, and emphasizing skill and tactics over just charging in, which will probably get you killed. I did lose a man during my first mission, but as long as the money flows, one can hire replacements. And I already did beforehand, rotating them in and out of the fight early
on in the game, to keep their skills honed for later, I don't plan to lose any more than necessary, but it happens.

Oh, and there are tanks, too. Initially only two types available, one only usable under water, with a torpedo launcher  turret mount, and the other useful on land or undersea. The alien craft, either land, or one shoots them down, and those missions are under sea, but the enemy will try to politically foul things up for X-col special forces, by pulling shit like hijacking cruise liners and executing civillian hostages unless they are put down with extreme prejudice. And 'terror site' missions, basically what it sounds like, the fuckers invade a city and start butchering civilians. Meaning you have to fight on land, again, killing or capturing anything that moves that isn't human, although it is, on occasion, something that happens, a civilian walks too close to a prox mine and gets blown to meatpaste, or is in the vicinity when an explosive shell goes off, or a missed shot sets them on fire, blows them to bits, punches them full of holes, hits them with an antiproton burst from the particle beam weapons, tank shell hits  one, stray grenade, or once one starts using the alien's own weaponry against them, it is horrendously powerful, a tiny ultrasound pistol packing the sort of punch in one spot you'd get from the area effect of a torpedo. But point-hits only, none of them have automatic fire, but are both accurate and very, very deadly.

Great game, lots of variables, lots of mission types, with the hack someone coded for it, one can even randomize the map layouts and craft layouts. IIRC I first downloaded it when I still had to connect up with a dial up modem, in the early 90's. Damn, how much computing power has increased compared to back then
to say nothing of the internet speeds. But this game is infinitely replayable. And there is an even bigger, better more advanced update, where new  technology,
new alien species, mission types, buildings, subs, weapons are available, even new flying sub craft. I just need to find out how to make it work on linux.