Educational

Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46195 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2640 on: May 14, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »
That tossing stuff doesn't have  to hurt emotionally.  Do I need a liberated me or will I let outmoded beliefs and fears rob me of a full life?

I feel the same way.  I want to lighten my material burden so I can travel, feel free,
   get my affairs in order so my siblings don't get stuck with a big cleanup if I predecease them.  :arrr:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2641 on: May 14, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »

Amazing! When I move I'm taking very little furniture with me because we need new couches anyway and the rest I'm going to hunt and upcycle. Well, except for mattresses. We'll buy those new.  ;)

I love hunting for stuff...it's a blast.

Get yourself a little black light, they have  the UV black light flashlights on Amazon for less then $10.

They pick up any bugs or pet stains you might miss while looking stuff over.
A lot of the stuff I find is like new though basically.
Oh! Good idea. I never thought of that. I'm excited to get started. The boyfriend has the same style as me and he loves upcycling as well so it's going to be a lot of fun. We're building him a pretty big workshop out at the back of the property and it will eventually have a forge as well. He's going to start making his own tangs.  8)
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2642 on: May 14, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »

Amazing! When I move I'm taking very little furniture with me because we need new couches anyway and the rest I'm going to hunt and upcycle. Well, except for mattresses. We'll buy those new.  ;)

Get yourself a little black light, they have  the UV black light flashlights on Amazon for less then $10.

Oh! Good idea. I never thought of that. I'm excited to get started. The boyfriend has the same style as me and he loves upcycling as well so it's going to be a lot of fun. We're building him a pretty big workshop out at the back of the property and it will eventually have a forge as well. He's going to start making his own tangs.  8)

A forge is a very cool thing to have on one's property.  :thumbup:

People forget.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2643 on: May 14, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »

I foresee lots of fun for him and his friends. That will be the place the guys hang out after work, I'm sure.  :)
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2644 on: May 14, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »

I foresee lots of fun for him and his friends. That will be the place the guys hang out after work, I'm sure.  :)

Best man-cave ever.  :fixin:

People forget.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2645 on: May 14, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »

Best man-cave ever.  :fixin:
It is!! And I really like his friends so it's going to be nice having the guys around. There are two in particular that he's closest with and I know that if anything ever happened to him, those two would show up on my doorstep in a heartbeat and make sure the kids and I are taken care of. They're good guys.  :thumbup:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2646 on: May 15, 2017, 03:21:24 AM »
A forge? thats fucking sweet.

Got a pretty decent workshop out back here too, miter saw, jigsaw, power drill/screwdriver, dremel tool, big bench press drill, and an old (probably pre-WWII but perfectly functional and accurate to within a fraction of a millimeter if set to be so) capstan type turret lathe (where instead of having to set up each tool in a single post and keep changing over, multiple tools can be installed, set and then just switched to by cocking back a lever.

Wouldn't mind a forge, but I think the next time I embark on a really major project, it'll be a fourier-transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometer. Basic concept is to ionize a sample and then accelerate the ion packets into a vacuum chamber through a small linear accelerator and then use RF and magnetic fields to synch the controlling RF field that accelerates the ions to the cyclotron resonance frequency of the ion type(s) and thence accelerate them to a higher orbit with a higher cyclotron resonance frequency making them spiral further outward towards the walls of the vacuum chamber, with a magnetic penning trap field, as part of the cyclotron and have them pass by a pair of electrodes, the ions, being charged, induce a temporary charge, and the readout on an oscilloscope (I think at least this is how the data needs to be captured) is then subjected to a fourier transform, on a computer, which gives the mass spectrum of the ion types.

Its tech that just might be within reach of the amateur tech-hacker type, and the only way, short of perhaps the use of an orbitrap that I'd be able to have myself a mass spectrometer, which I REALLY would love to have. But to buy one, even second hand and an old model would cost many thousands, way, way way way more than I could afford if I saved every penny I get for decades most likely. But to build one...I think it just about possible.

Now my mom's kicked the bucket, her room would be perfect since its away from all the sensitive electronics (the penning tram is a magnetic ion trap and uses very strong magnetic fields for confinement of the ions) and the LINAC part of the injector system again, uses powerful electromagnetic fields and quadrupole or sextupole electromagnets to confine and guide the ion beam.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2647 on: May 15, 2017, 03:51:01 AM »
Yay my methanol order has arrived :) No more distilling methylated spirits as an emergency.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2648 on: May 16, 2017, 06:19:35 AM »
2 identical cordless vacuums. A matching pair.

SO needs another cordless vacuum for the bar.

The boyfriend has the same style as me and he loves upcycling as well so it's going to be a lot of fun. We're building him a pretty big workshop out at the back of the property and it will eventually have a forge as well. He's going to start making his own tangs.  8)

That sounds really cool.
I'm more the machine-shop, DIY type of girl myself, but fire is nice. :laugh:

I nabbed two brass patio lanterns from the neighbor. I'm going to try painting and gutting them and turning them into solar lanterns.

Meanwhile SO will try to cut lumber with a hacksaw if left unsupervised. :P

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2649 on: May 17, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
Large glass top patio table, wicker chair for porch, and yet another mower.

5.5 hp? (can't be arsed to check right now it's dark, it's a big one so at least 5) Craftsman high wheel self-propelled with a duct tape label on it "still works" and a full tank of gas. Fires right up, front wheel is a little wobbly.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2650 on: June 09, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
Yesterday while on a walk that went through the cemetery I found my neighbors future resting spot his name and birth date on it already along with his first wife's birth and death dates.   Felt kinda odd   :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2651 on: June 09, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »
Yesterday while on a walk that went through the cemetery I found my neighbors future resting spot his name and birth date on it already along with his first wife's birth and death dates.   Felt kinda odd   :zombiefuck:
Maybe he's danced on it.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2652 on: June 10, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
I found two little blue eggs in the nest that the robin has constructed by my front door. Every time I go outside I click my tongue so she knows I'm coming out and she isn't startled. If it's just me, she'll stay on her nest. If she knows my dogs are with me, she'll fly to the maple tree and watch us until we leave.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #2653 on: June 10, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
Post photos!!  :bee:
:dog:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2654 on: June 10, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
Post photos!!  :bee:
I'm will try and remember to upload them to photobucket so I can post them. I have one with the eggs, and one with Momma sitting in her nest giving me the evil side eye. :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad