Educational

Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46199 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2475 on: August 30, 2016, 06:18:44 AM »
I found that everyone else in my class got a computer (Lenovo) that actually worked except me. We had to install Windows 7 on them via disc and mine didn't like it and refused to show anything on the screen. It was also the loudest computer in the room. Got it working eventually (teacher did something on BIOS). We could also install Linux if we wanted but after the fuss my computer made, I decided not to.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2476 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:02 AM »
My bed after dropping The PR off.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2477 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:15 AM »
Same place she's (PR) started going of late? sounds like (and I do hope so) shes having an alright time there. I'm glad, I really am :)

Although it must be said also, that the NAME of the damn place is.....well it does not foster the least approval, or feelings of warm and fuzzy. Makes me think of the older, worse (than its current incarnation still) title of of the organization we have here that now bears the somewhat sickmaking moniker of 'mencap'. Pretty sure thats the place I am thinking of, that used to be called 'the spastic society' (may have been 'spastic's society', I am slightly unclear on that). Whilst IMO they are benign in intent, a 'speak for' rather than 'in place of' and giving support ideology rather than, say, lynching folk who have MR and once cut down, cut UP again to be turned into a feline or canine edition of soylent green, my stomach still instinctively rebels against such nasty ass phrases and names such as 'spastic society' or 'association of retarded' on a basic level, its just, not on. A throwback to the days when we (or most of us at least) went knocking on cave door to cave door looking for a hot next door- or at least reasonably close if taking the pet family Smilodon -neighbours and whacking the first hot one that answers the cave-mouth over the head, to be dragged away and made into a bride or groom.

They could certainly rename the damn things. I mean come on, at least even autsqueaks isn't called the 'kill and eat the tards' society (any more).

I found my old man had left the house early, very early from the feel of it, because I was still asleep at 7-8am. Gone fishing. As for me I checked a few things online, ate, slaked my thirst and hunger with a milkshake and some cold grapefruit juice from the fridge (no, not together:P) and a donut. Had a smoke, stuck some music on
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2478 on: August 31, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
I found that everyone else in my class got a computer (Lenovo) that actually worked except me. We had to install Windows 7 on them via disc and mine didn't like it and refused to show anything on the screen. It was also the loudest computer in the room. Got it working eventually (teacher did something on BIOS). We could also install Linux if we wanted but after the fuss my computer made, I decided not to.

Linux tends to work great on Lenovo computers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2479 on: August 31, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »

I have only just heard of this (in my limited circles). Is there a technological reason for this? 

Has it to do with some compatibility of hardware in the basis of the MBs or universality of software within the BIOS?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2480 on: August 31, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »

I have only just heard of this (in my limited circles). Is there a technological reason for this? 

Has it to do with some compatibility of hardware in the basis of the MBs or universality of software within the BIOS?

I think they prefer standard components and solutions to the extent possible. There are rarely any Microsoft-endorsed circuits (which used to mean that the firmware was closed source and the Linux folks had to reverse-engineer the hardware so they could write software) or obscure graphics cards, with the notable exception of the early Nvidia Optimus chips that were a PAIN.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2481 on: September 01, 2016, 01:19:35 AM »

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2482 on: September 02, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »

Yeah, it worked really well on the other computers. I think mine had a problem reading discs.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #2483 on: September 02, 2016, 10:52:37 PM »
Navel Lint :headbang2:
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2484 on: September 03, 2016, 02:07:43 AM »

Yeah, it worked really well on the other computers. I think mine had a problem reading discs.

What was the distro and the Lenovo model used, do you remember?

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2485 on: September 03, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »
Sorry, I have no idea what a distro is. Omg, should I know by now? As for the model, it was big and looked old. I will write down the model type when I am in class next.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2486 on: September 03, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
distro-distribution-flavour.distribution.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2487 on: September 03, 2016, 03:39:13 PM »
Sorry, I have no idea what a distro is. Omg, should I know by now? As for the model, it was big and looked old. I will write down the model type when I am in class next.

"Distro" is short for "Linux distribution". In other words I was asking for the particular flavour of Linux they installed on the Lenovo machines.

Sorry, I sometimes use nerd vocabulary without meaning to.

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2488 on: September 03, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »

"Distro" is short for "Linux distribution". In other words I was asking for the particular flavour of Linux they installed on the Lenovo machines.

You'll have to stop doing that if you want to be popular!  :nerdy: :cheer:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2489 on: September 03, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »

Ah, thank you. I thought it was something computerish that I should know by now. I can't remember the particular version of Linux so I'll ask on Tuesday. It looked green and white on the screen. I was too occupied by my own computer having problems.
Tek'ma'tae