Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46187 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2430 on: July 20, 2016, 09:32:07 AM »
And a duvet stuffed with large bank notes. :zoinks:

That too.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #2431 on: July 21, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »
Didn't we have a post or two about that floor at some point? :-\

Yes, yes we did.

I want one for the bathroom floor.  :zoinks:

Did you ever finish your penny globe?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2432 on: July 22, 2016, 05:07:00 AM »
And a duvet stuffed with large bank notes. :zoinks:

Ages ago, in the AFF chatroom, we had a member named Duvet.  :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2433 on: July 22, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »

Yes, yes we did.

I never mortared it, but I did find it finally this spring after I took it outside, set it on the hill and it rolled, went airborne and jumped over the hill into the massive gully filled with brush below the septic tank.  :zoinks:

The base cracked, so the ball is sitting with my flowers now.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2434 on: July 22, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »
A lot of weeds and struggling plants. Radishes gone to seed and too many baby carrots in too little space.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #2435 on: July 22, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »

Yes, yes we did.

I never mortared it, but I did find it finally this spring after I took it outside, set it on the hill and it rolled, went airborne and jumped over the hill into the massive gully filled with brush below the septic tank.  :zoinks:

The base cracked, so the ball is sitting with my flowers now.

:lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2436 on: July 26, 2016, 08:17:58 AM »
A patch of wild blackberries while out with the dog,  going back later to pick them
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2437 on: August 02, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »
Reminds me I'll have to go and check the briar patches round here soon.

There are also some stands of japanese wineberries too, these are similar looking to rounded raspberries, but translucent pale orange, the color of a calippo ice pop, and very sweet, juicy with a refreshingly tangy acidity to them. If I can find enough I'd like to try making some wineberry and lime marmalade vodka from them.

Going to go out tomorrow or the next day to have a look, and as well, check the many stands of grasses to see if they have been infested with ergot fungus (C.purpurea, possibly seen some C.sulcata as well last year), because I could certainly use some fresh, very vital sclerotia, plus honeydew to check for conidia for my ergot R&D project. Been trying to mutate cultures of wildtype strains to induce strong alkaloid productivity. Its the damn stabilizing of the cultured production strains thats difficult, as the buggers like to turn scenescent with subculturing. Going to try encapsulation in polymerized calcium alginate microspheres this year, prepared with a perfluorocarbon emulsion to increase the permeability of the microencapsulated particles to oxygen in order to facilitate oxygen uptake. This year I think I'll also try incorporating a low level of arsenic, in order to poison phosphate metabolism after initial colonization, as alkaloid biosynthesis occurs after depletion of the intracellular pool of phosphate. Arsenic is toxic because of its similarity to phosphorus but in addition to arsenodiesters being too unstable to form an analogy of the phosphodiester bonded chains forming the backbone of DNA/RNA, the arsenical analogs just hydrolyze, and quickly too. But arsenic gets uptaken and then competes with processes that require phosphorus, whilst being unable to fulfil many of the metabolic functions of P.

So addition of arsenite or arsenate salts to the culture medium helps deplete the intracellular pool of phosphate after moving the grown culture from high phosphate growth medium to very low phosphate production stage medium and boost alkaloid biosynthesis in ergot cultures somewhat. And Believe you me, where ergot cultures are concerned, I'll take every last miligram It'll give me, even if it must be dragged out of it kicking and screaming and clawing at the walls of my culture vessels like a preteen boy desperately holding on for dear life to his front door jamb to avoid being sent off to sunday school with all of its catholic priest-ly horrors.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2438 on: August 18, 2016, 08:31:56 PM »
4 lawnmowers in various stages of destruction. I "might" get one runner out of the batch. Looks like someone was tinkering hoping to do the same and said fuck it all.

One small magazine rack/end table.

An old Park machinist tool box full of junk and maybe 3 lbs of brass mixed in.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2439 on: August 19, 2016, 03:32:13 AM »
Worth a bit for scrap, brass is. Same goes for copper, lead and aluminium of the common metals, although might as well turn in the wreckage of the lawnmowers. At home we keep the shavings and turnings from whenever brass is worked on the lathe in a bucket (which also has a large number of fag ends in it now haha, but it mounts up (and so do the fag ends:P), when its full, it can be scrapped in for a good few quid.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2440 on: August 19, 2016, 05:23:38 AM »
  Found my former mental clarity and mojo after a befuddled return to work.  It felt like what I imagine
   jet lag might feel like.  I finally recovered a bit right at the end of the day.  Today I'll kick ass!  :pirate:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2441 on: August 19, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »
Worth a bit for scrap, brass is. Same goes for copper, lead and aluminium of the common metals, although might as well turn in the wreckage of the lawnmowers. At home we keep the shavings and turnings from whenever brass is worked on the lathe in a bucket (which also has a large number of fag ends in it now haha, but it mounts up (and so do the fag ends:P), when its full, it can be scrapped in for a good few quid.

Yep, my 5 gallon bucket of brass is slowly filling up. Have another for clean copper, I usually stuff a couple of 14 gallon totes with cords and wire, that all will go in separate from the rest come fall. 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2442 on: August 20, 2016, 01:50:52 AM »
Why where does it all come from?

I also have a nice stash of copper pipe. If ever I see leaded windows, lead sheet/pipe or copper pipes and wire in skips I liberate it and save it until theres enough. As far as I'm concerned, throw it in a skip and its fair game. Derelict buildings are often great for it too.  Lots of wire in the walls. Even found a copper boiler in an old house, full of lead pipes once. THAT was great stuff :D

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2443 on: August 20, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »
Why where does it all come from?

Curbside mostly....have a couple of fancy housing plans that I cruise through on a regular basis. People can be extremely wasteful.

We have a shooting range just up the road in a nearby field...I take the .32 up now and then and bring home a bag of brass littering the ground.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2444 on: August 20, 2016, 07:57:47 AM »

Ever tried abandoned houses/derelict properties? sometimes they take a bit of breaking and entering, but once one has broken and entered there can be a real treasure trove.

Got into an abandoned mansion once, and oh MY! that was a goldmine. Lots of lead, the copper piping was still in there, at least, it was until I had the floorboards up and started yoinking it up, up and away:autism:

Got really lucky, in that some other folks had obviously been in there before me, and had neglected the scrap metals to be had. I think they just wanted to find a place to blaze, because I found about an 8th of hash and a 5mg valium tablet and another three quarters of a pill. So I got to stop for a while, drag over a sofa to sit on and skin up a few joints and pop the diazzies. Some poor sod must have been gutted to lose their hash especially, plus the benzos, not like they would ever find it anyway, so finders keepers. Nice hash too, a little dry due to its being there in the mansion for quite some time probably, but perfectly smokable. It did have a creepy atmosphere, though, as I bore witness to some people I knew in there, conducting a satanic ritual from some grimoire. Some WEIRD shit, creepy shit went down in that place. And I am not in the least displeased that, after I'd extracted my rightful dues from the place it later got torn down.