Educational

Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46204 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2400 on: June 07, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
  Yesterday I found my manicure scissors that had been missing two days. 
   Can't be arsed making a  "What did you find yesterday?"  thread.  :tard:

"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2401 on: June 08, 2016, 09:35:54 AM »
a mouse in the ketch-all

it has a wind up mechanism that spins to put the mouse into the trap. it's good for 15 mice.
truth be told, i again had forgotten the trap was there. we took out all the food because of the ants. so the mice are being caught on scent alone.

it seems like they come in whenever it gets cold out. this time it was pretty cold last night. it got down to around 16 inside the house.

oh, and a scorpion car in my kinder surprise. i had been looking for one to use with track experiments.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2402 on: June 08, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »
  I found a healthy balance between self-delusion and self-reproach.  :meditate:

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2403 on: June 08, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »
  I found a healthy balance between self-delusion and self-reproach.  :meditate:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Sig worthy.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2404 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
Yesterday a very old extremely rusted draw knife in the dirt next to the house I was working on.  Stuck it in my electrolysis bucket to see if anything is left under the rust,  I don't think so but it will be interesting to see
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2405 on: June 17, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
Found Scoop the digger in an abandoned playground. Picked it up and gave it a prominent place in that playground. Maybe the young owner will find it back. Otherwise another kid will be happy with it.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2406 on: June 26, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
A little less half, bit more than a third of a bag of heroin, that I'd left in the kitchen, when preparing a shot.

Went in to make a pot noodle (chicken and mushroom, if its that interesting, which it wasn't before I finished making it.) I was looking in the spices cabinet in my kitchen (theres an entire double-doored three or four shelf cabinet mounted on the wall that aside from porridge oats by the bagful and a few nice goodies like black treacle and the scrummyness that is golden syrup (preferably by the great big silver-plated serving tablespoon, which is of a most generous capacity, although the handle is now distinctly and deeply curved due to repetitive bending when used to stab into a tub of icecream and gouge out hunks of same for serving.

I was LOOKING for one of my tubs of, or bags of the dried, cured caps of the fly agaric mushroom, Amanita muscaria and a bottle of dark and aged soy sauce.
. Probably my absolute favourite spice of all, aside from a custom made steak spice blended mixture which also does contain as one of its macroscale ingredients, powdered fly amanita. But what did I find to distract me? A baggie containing what blessed font of yum? PORCINI! dried, thinly sliced cep, the penny bun, the Boletus edulis, one of the most important of ALL mushrooms commercially, its used for flavoring all kinds of foods mushroomy, canned mushroom soup relies on them intensely,  and hundreds of thousands of tons pass through world markets annually, and BELIEVE YOU JOLLY WELL ME! when I say, that many many many more ceps are also found by wild mushroom enthusiasts, and pass through various markets under the table, cash in hand, nothing more said of the matter, to avoid taxes, and thats not even taking into account the great numbers that are also simply taken home at the end of the day's rummaging and foraging in the forests and woodlands, and which never ever get to see a market or a purchaser, but are simply snaffled up by the fortunate finder(s), and thence scurried home with and scoffed on the spot once cooking facilities are at hand. They are not uncommon but there is a lot of shady practices like
irresponsible swines of mushroom hunters, who unlike myself and other good hunters who CARE about nature, and just as much, strive to protect the bounties mother nature (more than just a fucking catchphrase to me, many never THINK of WHY we term nature 'mother'. For she gave us birth, shelter and food, albeit that one must work to possess not just to have doled out as an entitlement.

Some pickers don't just do it with the very valuable, costly ceps , but all sorts of mushrooms, from chanterelles to the magic mushrooms of the Psilocybe genus, and the other psilocybin containing genera too, picking the youngest most immature mushrooms without leaving them to grow. Because if they don't, theres every chance somebody else will take that precious prize before them for themselves and leave the finder with not a one single lonesome fruitbody for their bacon, sausages, fried eggs chips and beans in the morning.

I do sympathize though, even though the practice of snaffling up babies before they have a time to  emit their spores and spread their speoies for future years, and even generations to come, both of the fungi
and the people who wish so dearly to find them and nosh on them. I myself would feel pretty damned wounded had I say, found a young giant puffball, or a cluster of ceps, a young sulfur polypore, sprouting out of a dead or dying tree, in its young, firm and juicy prime, as indicated by the moniker it gets and deserves, 'chicken (and NOT 'hen', this is Grifolia species, usually G.frondosa) of the woods.

And then, leaving them, if they were so young as to never have spread spores, for them to do so, as I do, save only in a very few instances, as one CANNOT eat puffballs once they start to turn mature and darken inside, nor are aged lawyer's wigs fit to consume, a they quite simply, liquify, and turn into a black mass of inky goop, via an autodeliquescence mechanism, they dissolve themselves when mature to spread the spores, and when young and uncolored on the gills, or just with a tinge of pink at the base, they thankfully are not rare but they ARE a very tasty, popular mushroom. IF that is, one can manage to successfully get one home from the second it is yoinked from the ground and placed within the collector's pick-a-nick basket of tasty wild treats it starts. Like pulling the pin out of an already finicky and unstable as hell hand grenade with a time delay fuse, the second the pin is pulled the timer starts ticking, and its already been ticking quietly ish. But it starts screaming more or less once given the heave ho, and it is literally a race against the clock to get them to a place they can be cooked before they give the hungry mycophage two fingers and turn into ink. Like the other common name, the shaggy ink cap (binomial is Coprinus comatus)

But found them I often have, and big tasty mature specimens ripe for the plucking. Taken home, sliced and dried, they retain their flavor excellently, which is the big reason commerce loves 'em too, they even can apparently survive pressurecooking and remain tasty and redolent of mushroomy-ness. So I took a nice handful, and broke them up a little, for Boletus edulis can get to be a pretty large (several kilos for a real big one) species. So broke them up into bitesized pieces and then tossed them in the pot noodle with some of the soy sauce I went after before adding boiling water, and did that, stirred them in...and oh me oh my. That turned a cheapo bog standard but nice snack into something that, especially as I haven't had any ceps since the growing season last year, didn't know I had that bag of dried ones still, that was a treat :).

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2407 on: June 27, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »
A bike crash. Stupid dads bike (aimed at the bike not an insult aimed towards my old man himself) and its stupid gear select and crappy chain security.
Going home from picking up prescription, carrier bag bottom split and my everything BUT the one thing in the  glass bottle, my chlormethiazole went all over the show. No damage done, to the pharmaceuticals
provided me, but shit, the boxes went all over the show and a car nearly hit me. I keep seizing today, I BARELY managed to get to the bottle of the above and swallow twice my usual dose for two days (I will
if request gets me not what I ask for, a replacement for those, but I took them not recreationally but whilst in the middle of an actual ongoing myoclonic seizure before it went to the point I blacked out, those
 heminevrin are not only powerful, they are physically, capsules filled with liquid chlormethiazole base, dissolved as an oil suspension due to the intractability of it  chemically in terms of forming stable, solid
well-characterized salts (there is ONE that is well and properly known, the edisylate salt, the pharma name for ethanedisulfonic acid salts, nothing else is said to work, and nothing else I have tried is any good
like that, not the phosphate, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric, hydrobromide, even hydroIODIC acid salts, shit even the nitrate attempted with some HNO3 turned out..well..it didn't turn out and I just based it again and cleaned it of nitric and nitrates. I've yet to try plenty of the organic, mild, suitably ingestable salts like citrate, ascorbate, tartrate, double-salts with tartaric acid in the manner of Rochelle salt (potassium  sodium tartrate) amphoteric metal oxide salts...but conventional bronsted-lowry acids just have not been behaving when trying to make a solid salt of chlormehiazole or the analog I first prepared, the immediately obvious bromine in replacement for the chloro group is the same, EXTREMELY recalciltrant. k w0rds or edwcation possibleand praifal

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2408 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
A cute wicker basket, and a 24% lead crystal lamp with a nightlight in the base (burned out, I took it apart and replaced).

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2409 on: July 01, 2016, 02:06:46 AM »
A song on youtube.

Black Sun Aeon-solitude

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqlClbF3_UA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2410 on: July 01, 2016, 02:42:34 AM »
Someone tell Lestat how to post YouTubes. I am on my Kindle and so don't know how.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2411 on: July 01, 2016, 04:00:17 AM »
A song on youtube.

Black Sun Aeon-solitude

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqlClbF3_UA

Still doesn't show.

Don't know why not.

Sometimes just posting the link does the trick, sometimes not. Weird.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:01:53 AM by 'andersom' »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2412 on: July 01, 2016, 05:13:56 AM »
A song on youtube.

Black Sun Aeon-solitude

Still doesn't show.

Don't know why not.

Sometimes just posting the link does the trick, sometimes not. Weird.

Here it is!  I type the link out every time by hand cause I'm a dinosaur.  :laugh:

The formula is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= [letters and numbers]
   The video will not show when you preview the post, but it will show after posting.  8)

People forget.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2413 on: July 01, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
A 1946 dime worth $1.42 for it's silver content in the rejected  bin of the coin counter at the bank.  Silver coins are rejected by the machines so I always check before I start.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2414 on: July 01, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »
I forgot to say please. But thank you hyke and cbc. :)

Today I found a little Star Wars figurine of Kayleigh's. It was on the floor near the tv. She had thought it was gone for good.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae