Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46198 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #1980 on: July 27, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »
Yesterday I found a tini white Buddleja davidii growing in the gutters. Pulled it out and took it home. Not even 10 cm, and already proudly blooming. It survived the transition to a pot very well. It will get a good place in the garden, after it is well settled and with a decent root system.

Today I found that one of the cats I am taking care of for the holidays did well tonight.
Yesterday night she went into labour, the moment we were there to feed her. This morning when I checked, she was still in labour, but with some kittens around her too. When I looked again five minutes later, the last of the five kittens was born. All healthy and active.

White...cool.  8)  I have about 3 butterfly bushes but they're all purple.

I have six, all the same shade of purple, all started from one mother plant. they all survived this past horrid winter, but the white one I bought two years ago did not.
 :-\

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1981 on: July 27, 2014, 03:19:34 AM »
Yesterday I found a tini white Buddleja davidii growing in the gutters. Pulled it out and took it home. Not even 10 cm, and already proudly blooming. It survived the transition to a pot very well. It will get a good place in the garden, after it is well settled and with a decent root system.

This is fucking awesome!
Not only that someone who gives a shit saw it, but that YOU were able to recognize it for what it will grow to be.

I have had a few successes making offspring from cuttings, but I have never had any seedlings come to flower.

And yet you just found one?
WOW!

Most Buddlejas in Europe are not sterile. Lots of American varieties are, probably to prevent an exotic plant becoming a pest.

The timing to find it is great, oldest and I have decided to turn over the front garden, and make it more bee and butterfly inviting. We are still pondering on the lay-out. It is a very small patch of ground, and we would so love an elderberry in it too, as main source of green, and providing a dark space underneath to make a winter hiding place for a hedgehog and maybe some toads and frogs.
The elderberry is waiting in a pot too, it is a cutting from a bush that offered very good flowers for cordial.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1982 on: July 27, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »

This is fucking awesome!
Not only that someone who gives a shit saw it, but that YOU were able to recognize it for what it will grow to be.

I have had a few successes making offspring from cuttings, but I have never had any seedlings come to flower.

WOW!

Most Buddlejas in Europe are not sterile. Lots of American varieties are, probably to prevent an exotic plant becoming a pest.

The timing to find it is great, oldest and I have decided to turn over the front garden, and make it more bee and butterfly inviting. We are still pondering on the lay-out. It is a very small patch of ground, and we would so love an elderberry in it too, as main source of green, and providing a dark space underneath to make a winter hiding place for a hedgehog and maybe some toads and frogs.
The elderberry is waiting in a pot too, it is a cutting from a bush that offered very good flowers for cordial.

Great idea.

My entire front yard is full of butterflies, colorful daymoths, hummingbirds, praying mantids and a dozen different kinds of harmless bees.
It is due to my having maxxed out the space with Buddleja, viburnum, Lililes, sages, hibiscus, daylillies, yarrow, wegeila, a couple of floweering cacti and hostas. The place has become a menagery of flower loving insects AND hummingbirds and finches.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #1983 on: July 27, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »

This is fucking awesome!

WOW!

Great idea.

My entire front yard is full of butterflies, colorful daymoths, hummingbirds, praying mantids and a dozen different kinds of harmless bees.
It is due to my having maxxed out the space with Buddleja, viburnum, Lililes, sages, hibiscus, daylillies, yarrow, wegeila, a couple of floweering cacti and hostas. The place has become a menagery of flower loving insects AND hummingbirds and finches.

Sounds wonderful DD.  8)  I lost my sage last year, not sure what happened, whether it was the winter or what...it was huge, the size of a bush.

Put 2 elderberries in last year, they are just starting to take off a bit. Want to fill up my hillside more...shouldn't take me long, always planting something. 

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1984 on: July 28, 2014, 04:04:47 AM »

This is fucking awesome!

WOW!

Great idea.

Sounds wonderful DD.  8)  I lost my sage last year, not sure what happened, whether it was the winter or what...it was huge, the size of a bush.

Put 2 elderberries in last year, they are just starting to take off a bit. Want to fill up my hillside more...shouldn't take me long, always planting something.

My sage was nearly dead, and I gave it another chance this year. It is looking bad, it is alive, but far from pretty. Will get that out too, this fall I think. Then maybe winter will help me improve a turned over bit of soil.
Of my daylillies only one species is left.

I think next spring a trip to this plant nursery would be a great idea.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #1985 on: July 28, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
This movie description for "Lucy":
"A woman, accidentally caught in a dark deal, turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic."

Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #1986 on: July 28, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
I found that nothing surprises me anyone, at least as far as the news and world events goes.

It would honestly surprise me if something positive happened.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #1987 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
I found that nothing surprises me anyone, at least as far as the news and world events goes.

It would honestly surprise me if something positive happened.
If something positive happens, it wont be on the news. No one wants to see that crap. :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1988 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »

This is fucking awesome!

WOW!

Great idea.

My sage was nearly dead, and I gave it another chance this year. It is looking bad, it is alive, but far from pretty. Will get that out too, this fall I think. Then maybe winter will help me improve a turned over bit of soil.
Of my daylillies only one species is left.

I think next spring a trip to this plant nursery would be a great idea.

What kind of sage are you guys talking about?

I have four good sized Russian sages as well, which are not actually Salvia, but Perovskia atriplicifolia and they are super hardy, super drought tolerant and attract butterflies like crazy.

I do have a number of true, Salvia officinalis (more of a culinary variety) one of which I keep in a well sanded pot for use indoors in winter and outdoors in early spring. It is plenty hardy, but I like to use it on fish and chicken all winter, fresh from the plant, so I keep a large one potted.

Most of mine in the garden are just plain deep purple flowering decorative sages (cut the spent flowers off and you will get even more return flowers). They seem quite hardy, drought tolerant and they are super easy to propagate, either cuttings, layering (I always find a branch that has gotten too long and I bury it in the mulch, and in a couple of weeks it has rooted. All the Lamium family does this) or they grow so fast, dividing works too.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1989 on: July 29, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
A very deep pot hole I had to drive though to leave the construction side I was working at luckily I saw it and went very slow
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1990 on: July 31, 2014, 12:46:45 AM »

I found an iPad at the library. It was on the floor.

I am sure the owner wants it back. I just do not know that I have successfully activated the  "FIND ME"  shit that is now built into every one of them or if this owner has actually activated it.

It is useless to me. I would love to be a hero and return it to its owner.

Just not sure if I have done things right or not. I know that these things can locate themselves and shit.

If nothing else, I will return it to the library and allow them to deal with it.

:dunno:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #1991 on: July 31, 2014, 12:58:56 AM »

I found an iPad at the library. It was on the floor.

I am sure the owner wants it back. I just do not know that I have successfully activated the  "FIND ME"  shit that is now built into every one of them or if this owner has actually activated it.

It is useless to me. I would love to be a hero and return it to its owner.

Just not sure if I have done things right or not. I know that these things can locate themselves and shit.

If nothing else, I will return it to the library and allow them to deal with it.

:dunno:

Maybe you can take it to an apple store and have them identify the owner?
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1992 on: July 31, 2014, 01:13:01 AM »
Yeah, I have already identified the owner.

Not that much involved. I just want the damn thing to do what it is supposed to do.

FUCKING make a call to its owner.

When I dump it back at the library (tomorrow), I will give them plenty of info to look up, assuming that the "Janice" who lost it, is a library patron.

Either way, I do not care that much. It is junk to me.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1993 on: July 31, 2014, 02:27:54 AM »
iPads are useful sometimes but I didn't know they can make calls.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1994 on: July 31, 2014, 04:23:45 AM »
Found a length of copper pipe, and I know where some more, larger ones are. Can't go snag those until it gets dark and most of the vehicle traffic is off the roads nearby, so as not to be seen. This was just lying in the pavement though.

Every time I find copper scrap, big enough aluminium bits to be worth having, or lead, be it roof sheeting, car wheel weights, leaded glass windows, car batteries (a juicy find, as much of the weight is in the form of the sulfuric acid) etc. I take it and save it, until I have built up enough to go and trade in for scrap fees.

Copper especially, is worth quite good money at the moment, last time I took just a few kilos in to scrap, I ended up making over 25 quid. Can't remember the weight or exact profit, but it was enough to get a macdonalds, a bottle of codeine linctus and an 8th. I was quite pleased with my results that day, for just the effort needed to walk to the scrap yard, maybe half an hour to three quarters of an hours work in total before putting my feet up, stretching out with a bong and a beer, and relaxing for the rest of the day :D
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.