Educational

Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46199 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #1860 on: May 01, 2014, 05:02:04 AM »
Found a pair of neatly folded girly baby socks on the main road, yesterday.

Found socks? :orly:

Aye, and identical twins too. But they are not old enough to join here.

:(
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1861 on: May 01, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »
I found that the back door of the van leaked during the heavy rain all yesterday
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #1862 on: May 03, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
Yesterday...3 bags full...probably around 200 or so.

Followed a hunch and found a sweet spot.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1863 on: May 03, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
Yesterday...3 bags full...probably around 200 or so.

Followed a hunch and found a sweet spot.

Wow

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1864 on: May 03, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »
I found an old rear projection tv curbside that I am going to salvage the fresnel lens out of

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #1865 on: May 03, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
I found an old rear projection tv curbside that I am going to salvage the fresnel lens out of

They are too big for me...could have had at least 6 lens for you if they weren't.  :LOL:  Old TV's all over the place around here.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1866 on: May 03, 2014, 08:08:04 PM »

They are too big for me...could have had at least 6 lens for you if they weren't.  :LOL:  Old TV's all over the place around here.

It's spring clean up month and they have bulky curbside pick up.  I have been waiting for one that was convenient it's big but all I care about is the lens so I don't have to be that gentle with the rest of it which I will put out for pick up in front of my house for them to take away

George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1867 on: May 03, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
  I found Hallucinations, an Oliver Sacks book.  The store had it in paperback as well as hardcover.  :thumbup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1868 on: May 03, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »
I've had a pretty felicitous day insofar as acquisitions go.

Some thiourea. Funny thing to find I know, but stranger things have happened.
I wasn't sure it was indeed what was claimed on the container label, but a quick test with an alkyl halide and then addition of NaOH to hydrolyze the isothiouronium salt quickly confirmed the ID as correct, courtesy of the resultant unbearable stench of the alkyl mercaptan/thiol. Wasn't sure if it had succeeded at first, or if the faint whiff of gas (I mean, house gas as used for cooking and heating. The smell is the result of added mercaptans in trace quantities) was coming from the blowtorch. But after the reaction began to kick off properly, it got more concentrated, and (outside away from open windows and ventilation) lets just say...rather pungent :P

Money-some loose change whilst out in the city center, 40 pounds 50 pence, a partially full metal can of cellulose thinners. Not sure if its xylenes or something like those glycol ether 'cellosolve' type buggers yet or something else entirely, haven't looked at it in detail yet, read label, take specific gravity, boiling point etc. It will be useful at any rate, I'm hoping one of the ether types however, for potential use as a solvent for hydride reducing agents (E.g LiAlH4, RED-AL, borohydrides, cyanoborohydrides etc. etc. and of course simple alkali metal hydrides themselves.)

Got home, thinking I'd be feeling rough after I stopped walking all over the city, as I was very, very low on my pain meds (fucking doc forgot to put the newly added breakthrough pain relief med on my repeats, so I have had none of it this week at all, only my usual daily morphine pills)

As such, I've been rationing them out with a fist possibly tighter than some doctors I know (bastarding well saying something that is too :P) until I get my refill on tuesday.
Only, I go to pick up some newspapers and books off my bedroom floor, and find at least 3 of the lil fuckers loose on the floor, plus 7-8 in a blister pack I must have dropped at some time, and a badly squished and broken one hanging around behind my computer keyboard. Time release won't work if they are crushed, but I can't remember if I have ever taken one of the things by mouth anyway :P

Just what my aching back needed, not to mention my hip. The latter started going on me pretty badly right as I got off my home tram stop, fucking just as well I got a lift back home, I don't think I could have walked it, until finding those pills at home, all I had today was a bottle of some fairly weak (not to mention unspeakably foul tasting/smelling) codeine cough mixture. 150mg of morphine sulfate in the arm was just what I needed then.

Searched around my room a bit more, and found quite a few useful odds and ends, inc. a decent sized pack of tizanidine (a really powerful muscle relaxant), some cyclizine (strongly sedating antihistamine, makes a pretty good potentiator for opioids), half a crate of Foster's, a newish variety they have on the shelves now, 'radler' which is fosters lager mixed with lime and ginger, only tried it the once before tonight, and its pretty good.

Just when I was really thirsty, theres nothing to drink but milk or acidified, sweetened water in the house and I haven't the money to get anything from the really pricy all-night gas station, nowhere else open at 4:45am.

A bit warm, but the ones not open now are going in the freezer for a few to really cool the fuckers down. Cold beer would be perfect right now.

And just found three of my flash drives I have been searching all over for, as well as 60-something 300mg gabapentin caps (mildly sedating, generally muscle relaxant, but best at treating neuropathic pain, which isn't a kind of pain that responds well to opiates usually) and at a guess, without weighing, a bit over 0.5g of some sort of stimulant, either the ethyl ester version of ritalin, ethylphenidate, or...something a little sinful, so to speak.

A small sapphire, and some high purity silver bullion. Not a great weight, but I've been searching for them for ages. Just need to find the larger sapphire (7.5 ct iirc) and buy a suitable small crucible with a lid then I'm ready to make the jewelery piece I have in mind as a surprise gift for my stalker.

Now if only I could find some chloroform, or at least sufficient dry acetone to run a haloform reaction and make some chloroform from scratch (or rather, from acetone and bleach) I'd be all set to run a couple of tests on some unknown chemical samples that the filth seized and analyzed to try and find an excuse to bust me a few years ago, found the returned items, now unlabelled, and unknown. So I need to work out what the fuck they both are, seeing as how they were returned outside of their original containers, with no label on them.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1869 on: May 05, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
A mouse nest behind some damaged shingles,  they had chewed though the underlayment and even the framing creating a hollow twice as big as my hand with a tunnel going off under the shingles an unknown distance.  I had never seen anything like it before

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #1870 on: May 05, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #1871 on: May 05, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »

The share link for youtube is messy for some reason, somebloke; just copy the url from the address bar.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1872 on: May 05, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
a 5ml rig containing some sort of bitter tasting aq. solution.

I am seriously hoping its (dia)/morphine. Somewhat likely, as thats what I usually use that large sized syringe for, as morphine MS contin XR pills need a fucking ton of water to get the most out of them. Bastards gel up like crazy and clog filters so quickly several are needed for just one handful of pills. Pain in the arse.

Could be an anti-adrenergic general anaesthetic however. Either way is good though. When too sore to sleep (difficult to lie down, if you cannot straighten (partially, I can straighten at the iffy knee very very little now, and even that, painfully) KO is good.

And I found my old man had two packs of bacon in the fridge. I ate both. In two big, pig-juice-dribbling greasy, salty delicious bites.

He might be pissed if he realizes. But thankfully there is absolutely naff all he can do about it, not like he is going to want it back afterwards :P

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1873 on: May 05, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
I just noticed your pic, IQ.

NICE! Mitrophora semilibera? looks like it, judging from the small pileus, if the top of a morel can truly be called such. Never found those. You lucky sod.

I got lucky like that with morels once, Morchella elata, one of the black morels, arrived in woodchip mulch for the garden. The entire garden of the old house ended up absolutely plastered in morels. At the time, meals consisted of steak and morel gravy, fried morels, morel chilli con carne, morel curry, morel beef stew, fried morel and bacon sandwiches....you can imagine the prevailing trend in culinary pursuits at the time.

Not a species I've ever had the pleasure of, or luck to find. But the morels I have found (and scoffed the lot, or almost the lot, I did share some with my old man, who sometimes samples my mycological finds, but my mom, as always, refused to taste any. 'what if they are poisonous' *rolls eyes*, but smiles, thinking 'that just means all the more for me to eat'. At least the black morel, rates just slightly below giant puffballs, sliced into steaks and fried in butter, with or without breadcrumbs (Langermannia gigantea, formerly in the genus Calvatia), IMO tied neck and neck with fried parasol mushrooms freshly pulled from the ground a mere few hours prior to cooking.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1874 on: May 05, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »
A blower for a bounce house and an even bigger fresnel lens than I got out of the last tv

George Bernard Shaw