Educational

Author Topic: Did you take your meds today?  (Read 106833 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Did you take your meds today?
« Reply #7290 on: December 05, 2018, 01:20:48 AM »
I took mine. Need to pick up a prescription, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7291 on: December 05, 2018, 06:40:06 AM »
You are still taking that noxious, antiquated dinosaur faecal matter excuse for a neuroleptic, ren? of them all, haldol is probably the worst for the body, not counting clozapine in refractory schizophrenics who are susceptible to it's specific although uncommon, ability to produce agranulocytosis.

Haloperidol is really unhealthy shit hun. It gets metabolized into something called HPP, which is uptaken into dopaminergic neurons in a part of the brain called the substantia nigra, located in the nigro-striatal tract, and then metabolized via MAO (can't remember which isoform) inside the cells to a charged quaternary derivative known as HPP+

With this permanent electric charge, the neurotoxin, and it is, a nasty one too, cannot leave the cell, as DAT (dopamine transporter) cannot spit it back out again. It is cytotoxic, destroying dopaminergic neurons here in the substantia nigra; this part of the brain, being highly specifically involved in motor control, damage to it causes parkinsonian toxicity. Chemically induced parkinson's disease. It isn't a short term effect, it's a long term, structural damage.

There was a related toxin, that is better known, MPTP, a methylated phenyltetrahydropyridine, that ended up being formed in a case where a guy and his missis were making a synthetic opiate related to pethidine, and to shortcut the synthesis  they overheated it in a critical step, not realizing this horrible, awful MPTP was being formed. Basically tore his motor control circuitry to shreds and left him locked in, immobilized due to a massively severe chemically induced parkinson's disease. The meds stopped working, the DOPA/carbidopa type regimes, and he, and his other half, were SCREWED.

The haloperidol metabolite is not formed in as large a quantity from a given dose of haloperidol as that shit ended up going in to those poor bastards, and it is not AS toxic, as I understand it, as MPTP. But nevertheless, haloperidol is an old, and out of the good, the bad and the ugly of neuroleptics, it's not so much 'ugly' as it has all the attractive, pleasant features, and good nature, health-wise, as a sadomasochistic child rapist in a paediatric oncology ward.

And less of the sex appeal to add to haldol's already charismatic nature. Really, you could do better by finding another D2 antagonist, if you really do need a neuroleptic. None of 'em are NICE, but haloperidol has a very different, additional means of being fucking evil shit, long term. I am surprised it is even still prescribable, hell, I'm pretty well appalled that it ever entered, let alone passed  stage III testing by big pharma. Stuff shouldn't be out there being put into people, it isn't fit for the purpose.

Really, it is the worst. Not fit for use in people.  And certainly not in one I care about as much as I do you Ren.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPTP

THIS, is the stuff from the botched pethidine analog now so infamous for consigning somebody to a wasted, locked in, palsied shell of a human being, that the metabolite of haldol has for a neighbor and brother in dopaminergic neurotoxic evildoing.

And despite the MAO-dependent metabolism into the cytotoxin, it looks like moclobemide is the wrong MAOI to provide any protection. Moclobemide is a MAO-A inhibitor. Dopamine is primarily metabolized by MAO-B, and same goes for MPTP>MPPP+ transition in what is known as 'the case of the frozen addicts'.

I'll leave it to you if you want to read about it, I'll link to it in more detail, but it's horrific reading, and I don't want to shit you up. Only for you to know what haloperidol is producing when taken in people, and what it too, is like; in the hope you would seek to find an alternative med. Stuff is bad  news over the long term.

https://scienceblogs.com/speakeasyscience/2010/06/26/the-frozen-addicts

I really don't recommend it as reading for just before bedtime either. *shudders*
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7292 on: December 05, 2018, 08:14:18 AM »

Thanks for reminding me to take my meds. I have to pick up a prescription as well. My cholesterol pill is getting low.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7293 on: December 05, 2018, 09:33:07 AM »
I just took my morphine, a little oxycodone IR, cimetidine (stomach med, an anti-acid pill, that I had my doc switch me to, when I was originally taking ranitidine, a very close relative, and more or less the same for stomachs that hate their owners. But, in this case, I was taking advantage of some properties of cimetidine not shared by ranitidine, namely inhibition of certain liver enzymes that break down morphine, so I could use the side effect as a way of boosting duration of effect an probably peak plasma levels  at the same time from any given dosage of the pain meds, and, for want of a better term to describe it, pretty much just squeeze it until it starts to squeal to wring every last drop of mileage out of every milligram with various tricks. That, being one of them. Another, working the same way, being to both eat a lot of canned grapefruit in it's own juices, and drink lots of  grapefruit juice. Same CYP-P450 pathway isoenzyme inhibition caused by substances in the grapefruit and it's juice. Enough to be a quite well known prolific offender with  certain meds, doctors often caution people on some types of medications not to consume grapefruit or it's  juice with them, as the enzyme inhibitors prevent them being broken up and as a  result, the levels of some meds can go too high.

In this case though, it is quite intentional, in fact I'm counting on it.

I do need to phone  my docs surgery  and get a fresh seizure rescue  pack though.,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7294 on: December 05, 2018, 08:53:40 PM »
^What happened there?

I still take haloperidol, 5mg at night. I've been on it for the last 5 and a half years. I have no parkinsonism but then I don't know how much the benztropine is hiding or even if it is.

When I first started lithium, I got the shakes pretty badly and dry mouth, wow, I couldn't even talk at times without getting a drink of water. I was in hospital when this happened, it was a tough time. I found out that some of the other patients felt sorry for me later, when I went to IDTU (Intensive Day Therapy Unit).

I took my meds late this morning but better late.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7295 on: December 05, 2018, 10:44:31 PM »
I did. Still need to pick up a prescription.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7296 on: December 06, 2018, 03:26:23 AM »
What happened where, Ren?

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7297 on: December 06, 2018, 06:30:33 AM »
What happened where, Ren?
That big space under your previous post. Looks like it wasn't finished. But I'm on my Kindle so the space may seem bigger than it would on my PC.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7298 on: December 06, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »
Oh, nothing happened hun, just an accidental blank space.

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #7299 on: December 08, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
I had to force myself. This med thing is becoming a tedious chore
:skywarp:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7300 on: December 08, 2018, 08:59:51 PM »
It is a chore for me, too. But it helps keep me stable and out of hospital.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7301 on: December 09, 2018, 03:44:34 AM »
Not all of them.

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #7302 on: December 09, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
tonight yeah. took mine last night.

yeah im back on meds now i guessssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7303 on: December 10, 2018, 12:43:16 AM »
Just did. And I finally remembered to pick up a prescription, too, so I'm covered for a while longer.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7304 on: December 10, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »
Just waiting for them atm, my old man has gone in a cab (I'm having to pay for it of course)

Damn..speak of the devil, he just got home right as I finished typing the words 'of course'.

Had to send him not go myself, not this time because of my leg, which has pretty much healed,  a little scab, some pain on long walking, but far, far better. But because of the muscle relaxer, tizanidine, that I take for the nerve damage in my other leg, after surgery on it leaving nerve damage which makes the calf muscle permanently cramp, really, really badly, as the 'relax' countermanding signal it seems, is not sent as it ought to be.

Works like clonidine, blocking noradrenaline release, its both a powerful muscle relaxer and  also, a hypotensive agent, dropping blood pressure quite profoundly. If I mis-estimate dosing intervals or single doses it can easily render my BP so low that if I stand, even slowly rising to compensate, the orthostatic hypotension is strong enough to hammer me to the ground, cutting my legs from under me,  so I couldn't go myself.

Got two unexpected scripts though, one for cephalexin, an antibiotic of the cephalosporin type. Which despite being allergic to penicillins, I can take (they both have the beta-lactam ring in their structure but cephalosporins I'm alright with, penicillins could kill me), didn't ask for it, don't need it. But at least it's there now in case I ever have an infection again, so I can treat it without the hassle of making  and going to a doc appt.

And a 12-count bottle of chlormethiazole, my antiseizure drug. I typically have to BEG for rescue packs, it's like pulling teeth, despite that, although I confess, this is so weird as for me not to comprehend how it could be possible, and others on a neuropharmacology forum, said 'impossible, unless you are  some extremely rare mutant in terms of your GABAa receptors', and only believed it because I said this is personal experience, and  I have refrained from taking it for as  long as a week before without other GABAa agonists/positive allosteric modulators of any sort whatsoever (it lasts about 5-6 hours after a dose), I've not become physically dependent on chlormethiazole despite at least 192mg (odd number I know, but thats the dose, calculated as  freebase, contained in a single capsule) three times daily, more sometimes if I have one of those days where breakthrough seizures just seem determined to happen.

But it just hasn't happened. And I don't think it will either, as long as I do stay at 3xdaily, not including rescue packs and the doses taken several times over 3x on single days when needed occasionally, or over a couple  of days, and rarely, recreational doses of home-brew material, which only happen once  in a great while so don't impact tolerance, it's like someone who might drink a glass of wine or a beer a day one time, getting really drunk, but not doing that again for many months on end, just with a different, and to me vastly superior drug to alcohol)

If it was  going to, several years would be more  than enough time to make it happen, given it's recommended for no more than two weeks in the BNF) I've been on it at LEAST three years, maybe four or five, I've not kept strict track of total  time between first ever dose and the dose I took just this morning about 10 min ago)

Got the cephalexin, which I've no use for right now, but also, a bottle of chlormethiazole caps aside from the main lot I get weekly. Rescue pack without asking. If that gets on my repeats by their accident, good. So much the more convenient for me. Although it was for some reason put in a separate bottle, I saw '12 capsules' on the label and was about to ring the surgery to say 'what the fuck now?' but then found it was just in a second bottle, the other lot. Although the pharmacy had put it in a PLASTIC bottle. They put the main rx of it in a glass one, as it has to be, since the drug is volatile, the capsules contain the freebase, and it DISSOLVES plastic, and slowly volatilizes through the capsule walls, if not kept cool. It MUST be kept in glass, although a teflon container wouldn't be affected either, as I've used fluoroinert-capped glass bottles to store the freebase  before after making it from vitamin B1, and the caps were not attacked.)

Taken my oxycodone as well, 60mg,  IR, not yet my morphine because  I'd  need to walk to get to a water source to prepare the injection, and if I get up right now, I'd go right back down again. Waiting for my BP to return to, if not normal, then to sufficiently high to permit me to rise and stay on my feet. The oxy I've just taken in a larger dose than otherwise, to compensate for no morphine shot right now, one strong opioid is as good as another when it comes to preventing me going into withdrawal and stopping my poor, tortured knee and hip joints from bellowing their protestations at me.