Author Topic: Did you take your meds today?  (Read 106070 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Did you take your meds today?
« Reply #7260 on: October 27, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »

Thanks for reminding me. 
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7261 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:51 AM »
Just looked at the start of this thread and saw that except for two years (2011 to 2013 when I was taking ziprasidone) I've been taking haloperidol since 2010. Risky.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7262 on: October 29, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
What are the long-term risks?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7263 on: October 29, 2018, 11:20:41 AM »
The PR is given her meds daily.  Except for the Benztropine which I've mislaid after getting it from the pharmacy.  She's been having dystonia again, so I really should find it.

I haven't  taken my prescribed meds in months.  Still kicking.  I usually take acetaminophin and generic Benadryl at night.  Trying to kick that habit.  Finally went to bed at 4:30 this morning.  Seeing the doctor in November.  The PR was like a mother hen: 

It's x o'clock, shouldn't you be sleeping?
Turn your light out.
Do you know what time it is? 
Mother........... foot stamp, crossed arms.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7264 on: October 29, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
Mainly tardive dyskinesia that doesn't go away even after stopping the meds.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7265 on: October 29, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »

The PR gets that from some of her meds.  She takes Benztropine to control them.  She's on 6 meds.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7266 on: October 30, 2018, 12:52:27 AM »

What options do you have, then? Other meds? Accepting the risks? :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7267 on: October 30, 2018, 03:12:32 AM »
One of the things that sucks about getting old is how sore one gets after a weekend of smashing stuff and then lugging big rocks and lumps of cement and bricks around.

I've got some NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) around somewhere, I've got to get a few of those into me.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7268 on: October 30, 2018, 04:39:54 AM »
QV, I also take benztropine. Best thing ever to get rid of the haloperidol shakes. I take 2mg every night.
What options do you have, then? Other meds? Accepting the risks? :-\
Well I tried ziprasidone for two years and that was excellent but then I had a load of ECGs in hospital and they found that it affected my heart. So I couldn't take it any more. Been back on the haloperidol ever since. I'm wondering how much the benztropine is covering up. I would like to try Abilify (aripiprazole) but it's very expensive here and I can't afford it. So for now I'm just accepting the risks.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7269 on: October 31, 2018, 12:39:07 AM »
One of the things that sucks about getting old is how sore one gets after a weekend of smashing stuff and then lugging big rocks and lumps of cement and bricks around.

I've got some NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) around somewhere, I've got to get a few of those into me.

NSAIDs aren't good for you either.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7270 on: October 31, 2018, 03:56:52 AM »

I haven't noticed any adverse effects, but I just read about them and I'm glad that I only take them very rarely. I'd average less than 5 tabs per year.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7271 on: October 31, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »

I haven't noticed any adverse effects, but I just read about them and I'm glad that I only take them very rarely. I'd average less than 5 tabs per year.

Good for you. I can no longer eat them at all, they completely fuck up my stomach. Luckily they've prescribed COX-2 inhibitors for me instead.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7272 on: November 01, 2018, 01:03:14 AM »
I don't have any issues that require taking medication like NSAIDS.

Other than being old, out of shape, and carrying heavy things around that most 25-year-old guys would struggle to lift at all. And then wondering why everything is stiff and cramping up the next day.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7273 on: November 01, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »

Good for you. I can no longer eat them at all, they completely fuck up my stomach. Luckily they've prescribed COX-2 inhibitors for me instead.

I take a "baby aspirin" (83mg) every day as a part of my hypertension treatment, but my doctor has also prescribed Meloxicam for when my arthritis becomes less manageable with typical stretching and heat/cold therapy. He allows Ibuprofen AND aspirin, but warns me that Tylenol can destroy my liver, due to a drug interaction with other things I need to take.

Prednisone is another (cortical steroid, though) that when my back is inflamed seems to help some.

My stomach is not my problem. It is my set of joints going arthritic that causes me to go short of breath sometimes just trying to get my body to move to the car.
No bad days, lately though, but not kidding. Sometimes it takes all the strength I can muster just to go to the bathroom, then I am almost out of breath just from pain and the difficulty of movement.
I understand that movement helps and I do all I can, but just moving with this level of arthritic confliction of the joints can be a challenge.

I am too young for this!
Ten years ago, none of this was even in my imagination.

Oh, yeah, I took my meds.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:29:00 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7274 on: November 01, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
When we see the doctor in the next week or so I'll ask him about our sleep problems.  Both The PR and I are "night owls" while the rest of the world isn't.  Why can't they have "day"care for folks like us?  I'm sure there's more than one doctor who would love to have strictly night hours. 

But I know one problem is that we don't get enough physical activity so we're not tired.  Bitch, bitch, bitch.