Author Topic: Did you take your meds today?  (Read 106058 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Did you take your meds today?
« Reply #6825 on: May 09, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
No...that is 'pudding'. so there and then some:P

Just eaten almost two full bags of those haribo bubblegum bottles. I've got 4 left. Sweets, that is, not bags. The rest got eaten. In about the time it took me to dive through one bag, start the next, fall asleep due to my pain meds and then eat all but those 4 when I woke up again.

On the one hand, got to take some whizz later, although I don't want to really much at all. But it must be verified. I'd far sooner just have a lazy day, not get up off my arse and move.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #6826 on: May 09, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
Pfft. Pudding is a type of dessert. :M
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6827 on: May 09, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
That doesn't fit...you say aspartame doesn't affect you negatively yet you avoid it?

Blue raspberry milk sounds vile. Although I agree with you on the slushpuppies, those are lovely, blue raspberry is my favourite.

Not sure if its the same stuff, but you can still get the fizzy bubblegum pop, bought 4 liters of it just earlier today actually.

It's more because I'd heard saccharine, acesulfame K, aspartame and MSG were bad for you, and now I'm reacting to MSG and either saccharine or acesulfame K. So, I think from my experience, they definitely do something to your brain like they say. I mean visual migraines caused by MSG (for me) is a bad thing.

The bubblegum drinks I was referring to are these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Grocery/Time-Bubble-Flavour-Soft-Drink-Sweeteners-200ml/B015Y1OPCS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_325_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3909N317PJXG83VGF4M4

My goodness, they're even cheaper than before. But they have the sweetener(s) that give me migraines. :(

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6828 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
But yeh, I love the bubblegum flavour. I guess it's all artificial. Would be awesome to recreate it.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6829 on: May 09, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Aspartame is a simple peptide-like molecule, an amide formed from phenylalanine and aspartic acid, the resultant peptide present as its methyl ester, if MSG is giving you grief then it isn't altogether hugely surprising, although only small quantities of aspartame are actually used afaik. Glutamate is the main excitatory neurotransmitter (GABA, gamma-aminobutyric acid fulfilling the role of the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain) and along with the various metabotropic glutamate receptors (a metabotropic receptor exerts its effects on a neuron when activated via a cascade of intracellular second messengers, leading to upregulation, downregulation of whatever genes it ultimately controls, whilst the initial event from the other main type, ionotropic receptors is docking of the ligand [active compound doing the binding] with its receptor binding site, leading to a conformational change in the shape of the receptor protein, and generally doing something like causing a ligand-gated ion channel [some ion channels are gated to a specific voltage threshold, these are the voltage-gated ion channels, typical examples being most types of sodium and calcium channels whilst some are what is called a ligand-gated ion channel, which, unsurprisingly, opens in such a direct manner in response to binding of a neuroactive substance]  to open,

This allows ions to exchange between the cells interior, the cytoplasm, and the extracellular environment, causing minute chemical currents to be generated by the exchange. In the case of the ionotropic glutamate receptors, named for the ligands which were first discovered to bind although not always endogenous, there are three types, NMDA, AMPA and kainate, these are the three ionotropic glutamate receptor types, NMDA actually stands for N-methyl-d-aspartate, an analog of the amino acid aspartic acid, NMDA receptors are a bit peculiar in that they are gated both by voltage and by the presence of drugs/neurotransmitters. It also requires the amino acid glycine to bind, in addition and within the same time frame as glutamate, the primary ligand for these receptors as a co-agonist before the channel will open and the neuron depolarize and transmit its action potential in response to presynaptic stimulation from neurons responding to events going on upstream (I.e preceding the firing of the glutamatergic neuron). In the case of NMDA receptors however, normally its channel, a voltage/ligand gated calcium channel has, at resting potential (when not stimulated by a neurotransmitter or exogenous drug) its central pore, the part that does the actual conduction of the ion flux when activated, blocked by a magnesium cation (a cation is a positively charged ion, an anion is an ion with a negative electrical charge)

When glutamate (and in the case of the NMDAr, aspartate, although the response to aspartate is weaker than that of glutamate in terms of the amplitude of the response) binds, along with glycine to its regulatory site, ensuring against 'accidental' activation of the channel, the channel boots out the Mg ion and a calcium current is generated after a specific voltage threshold induced by prior neurons signalling to the NMDAergic neuron. In excess, this isn't a good thing (here we are talking rather, about potent agonists rather than natural release as it should be) because the resultant calcium flux can in excess cause what is known as excitotoxicity, essentially overloading the cell due to a surfeit of the excitatory neurotransmitter, glutamate (or aspartate) and killing it.

Especially in the case of glutamate, this can cause seizures, and is implicated very heavily in epileptiform disorders of various kinds, as well as in schizophrenia, where there is thought to be a hypofunction of NMDA receptors.

Can go into this more if you want, but there is a fair amount of controversy over aspartame. In essence however, aspartate can mimic glutamate (and is an endogenous neurotransmitter in its own right, filling a similar general profile in comparison with glutamate) at the NMDA receptor.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6830 on: May 09, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
Lestat, that is such an informative post, only that I can't understand the science of it, sorry. :(

So glutamate can cause seizures in people who already have epilepsy? Or cause it in people who originally don't as well? Does the amount of aspartate in aspartame do the same?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6831 on: May 10, 2017, 03:19:20 AM »
I don't think I could ever eat something that's blue. It kind of reminds me of mouthwash.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6832 on: May 10, 2017, 06:31:09 AM »
No...that is 'pudding'. so there and then some:P

I remember the first time I heard the dessert course referred to as "pudding."  I thought some restaurants
   offered only actual pudding for dessert, and I wondered why British diners put up with that foolery.  :P
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6833 on: May 10, 2017, 06:35:19 AM »
I don't think I could ever eat something that's blue. It kind of reminds me of mouthwash.

That particular colour, brilliant blue (an apt name), can induce allergic reactions in those with asthma.

But look what I found about a different version of it in Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Blue_FCF#Biomedical_research

Scientists who were conducting in-vivo studies of compounds to lessen the severity of inflammation following experimental spinal cord injury had previously tested a compound called OxATP to block a key ATP receptor in spinal neurons. However, OxATP has toxic side effects and must be injected directly into the spinal cord; in searching for alternatives they noted that Brilliant Blue FCF has a similar structure. This led them to test a related dye, Brilliant Blue G (also known as Coomassie Brilliant Blue) in rats, which improved recovery from spinal cord injury while temporarily turning them blue.

Brilliant Blue G is also used as a stain to assist surgeons in retinal surgery. Isn't that cool?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6834 on: May 10, 2017, 06:40:47 AM »

That particular colour, brilliant blue (an apt name), can induce allergic reactions in those with asthma.

But look what I found about a different version of it in Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Blue_FCF#Biomedical_research

Scientists who were conducting in-vivo studies of compounds to lessen the severity of inflammation following experimental spinal cord injury had previously tested a compound called OxATP to block a key ATP receptor in spinal neurons. However, OxATP has toxic side effects and must be injected directly into the spinal cord; in searching for alternatives they noted that Brilliant Blue FCF has a similar structure. This led them to test a related dye, Brilliant Blue G (also known as Coomassie Brilliant Blue) in rats, which improved recovery from spinal cord injury while temporarily turning them blue.

Brilliant Blue G is also used as a stain to assist surgeons in retinal surgery. Isn't that cool?

All that from just a color!  I wonder how I'd look blue.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6835 on: May 10, 2017, 06:56:41 AM »
I guess it would depend on your skin tone, and whether blue would mix well with it. I'm not sure how these things work to be honest. :orly:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6836 on: May 10, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »
Really interesting stuff. :)

I already have blue eyes but think blue skin may clash with my red hair, heh.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6837 on: May 10, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
  What time is it?  It's ibuprofen time!  :tard: :autism:

People forget.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6838 on: May 15, 2017, 03:39:45 AM »
Missed the lunchtime and afternoon meds because I didn't really do much but laze about at home.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6839 on: May 15, 2017, 03:44:40 AM »
You've gone redhead?

*tries to suppress a 'phwoarrr!'* 

*fails miserably*