Educational

Author Topic: Did you take your meds today?  (Read 106084 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Did you take your meds today?
« Reply #6255 on: August 17, 2016, 05:22:01 AM »
  Strattera is down the hatch!  Now for my supplements!  :arrr:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6256 on: August 17, 2016, 05:38:05 AM »
Wondering if tics would come back with a vengeance if I stopped haloperidol. They probably would, so I'll keep taking it for now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6257 on: August 17, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »
I did, yes. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6258 on: August 17, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
yes
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6259 on: August 18, 2016, 05:00:07 AM »
Feel kind of bummed that I am probably taking dex with no effect. If I had my way about this, I would make an appointment with my psychiatrist straight away. But it costs over $300 to see him. I can't afford it.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6260 on: August 19, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
I did.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6261 on: August 19, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
I'd be inclined to try stopping the haldol. You may or may not wish to taper it, half the dose first maybe. But you are on such a small dose it really isn't worth it, and in any case if you got any problems you could just re-add a half dose, stay at it for a few days then cut it off totally, and see if after a little while off it you still get any tics.

Your shrink prescribe the haloperidol, the moclobemide and the phet? personally I have huge doubts about him and his level of competence.

And no, I haven't, yet. I am just taking my chlormethiazole then got to prepare some dipropionylmorphine and whip out the lab glass for a couple of projects I've got to attend to :heisenberg:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:27:47 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6262 on: August 19, 2016, 11:16:42 PM »
You could always try Ren. Avoid doing it abruptly

Also, I just checked the BNF (British National Formulary, this is the comprehensive guide used in british medical practice, that covers prescribing laws and guidelines, entries for individual drugs, what they are  for, excipients of importance, NHS trade price, interactions, formulations available etc.

I checked the entry for  haloperidol and other butyrophenones  and it mentions an interaction with Li. Possible risk of neurotoxicity plus increased risk of extrapyramidal symptoms.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6263 on: August 20, 2016, 05:48:07 AM »
  All pilled up for my ass-kicking Saturday!  :arrr:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6264 on: August 20, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »
Same, sort of.

I just got done with the chlorination of morphine to alpha-chloromorphide (where the 6-position -OH group is replaced by chlorine) using thionyl chloride.

Wikipedia cites it as 10x the potency of morphine itself. It does indeed seem quite strong. BUT it is VERY very very different from morphine or indeed any other opioid I have ever tried, including those that do their job via the classical morphine-like binding configuration and a few of the fentanyls (fentanyl itself, remifentanil, sufentanil, alfentanil and lofentanil) and whilst I waited for my pain meds to wear off so I could assess capability to reverse withdrawal and thus opioidergic activity at MOR1 (it does) it is more a stimulant, indeed feels almost amphetamine-like, tendency towards hyperfocus, appetite suppression, and concentration-wise, the same kind of tunnel-vision that speed does. I strongly suspect that it is a delta-opioid receptor agonist.

Very strange, and I am not at all convinced I'd like to take it at a higher dosage than I did.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6265 on: August 20, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
I'd be inclined to try stopping the haldol. You may or may not wish to taper it, half the dose first maybe. But you are on such a small dose it really isn't worth it, and in any case if you got any problems you could just re-add a half dose, stay at it for a few days then cut it off totally, and see if after a little while off it you still get any tics.

Your shrink prescribe the haloperidol, the moclobemide and the phet? personally I have huge doubts about him and his level of competence.

And no, I haven't, yet. I am just taking my chlormethiazole then got to prepare some dipropionylmorphine and whip out the lab glass for a couple of projects I've got to attend to :heisenberg:
When I spent 3 weeks in hospital in 2013 for depression, the doctors there prescribed what I am taking now. They collaborated with my psychiatrist I think though, because they even gave me dexamphetamine which is a very rare thing to happen in a public psych ward.

Since then I gave up the quetiapine that I was taking every night, it was to help me sleep I guess. I gained 30 kilos from taking it. Never will I take that stuff again.

I'm not sure about giving up the haloperidol. My tics got pretty bad when I gave it up before (this was years ago). The breathing tic was almost unbearable.

I see my GP next month so I will let him know of my predicament. Maybe he will get in contact with my psych and they can decide what I will try next.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6266 on: August 20, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
I'm surprised that they combined haloperidol and phet.  A dopamine antagonist and a releaser/reuptake inhibitor...even with moclobemide (again a dangerous combination, as is lithium and haldol and other antipsychotics,

Haloperidol is NASTY shit ren, it causes some serious and most profound brain atrophy over time, as seen by MRI, The difference is shocking,

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6267 on: August 20, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
I'm surprised that they combined haloperidol and phet.  A dopamine antagonist and a releaser/reuptake inhibitor...even with moclobemide (again a dangerous combination, as is lithium and haldol and other antipsychotics,

Haloperidol is NASTY shit ren, it causes some serious and most profound brain atrophy over time, as seen by MRI, The difference is shocking,
Yep, I have become aware of that, seen some pics. I will come off it, but with doctors' advice.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6268 on: August 21, 2016, 12:50:19 AM »
If I am quite honest I am most surprised, nay, shocked, and appalled that it is still in use. All the APs are somewhat iffy, but haldol is specifically toxic in a malignant kind of way, not merely nasty but actual poison IMO. It has a toxic metabolite, HPP that gets metabolised by MAO-b (sorry but the MAOI you take is specific to the type A isoform) to a charged metabolite, HPP+ once uptaken by DAT into dopaminergic neurones, and thence goes about killing them. Can't leave the cell because its charged, so it gets stuck there frying the neurones. Nasty shit. Loperamide, the antidiarrhea drug does something similar, only the nasty metabolite, LPP/LPP+ is restricted to the periphery because p-glycoprotein, a multi-drug efflux pump localized to the blood-brain barrier craps it out again as fast as it can enter. In infants or baby swine whos BBB has not developed yet, loperamide is pretty toxic.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6269 on: August 21, 2016, 01:33:30 AM »
Not yet. I will.

- Albert Einstein