Educational

Author Topic: Did you take your meds today?  (Read 106065 times)

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Did you take your meds today?
« Reply #6060 on: May 13, 2016, 06:11:17 AM »
Had to get a 5 minute appointment with my doctor to get a moclobemide script. I have never done that before, usually I keep track of my meds quite well. So, that and Breo (my asthma med).

Yet to take my night meds.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6061 on: May 13, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
Going to have to visit the surgery and try and get some emergency chlormethiazole doled out, only would need enough for today, tomorrow, sunday and possibly monday morning.
I have it. BUT, I have looked high and low, searched and searched and searched.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6062 on: May 13, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »
Wow damn! THAT did not take long. With my docs surgery they open at 8am, although thats very new, formerly it was half 8. But the phone lines are ALWAYS jammed, within seconds of their opening and the ONLY way to get an appointment via phone is to ring, and if its not immediate in going through to the que, rather than just getting an engaged tone, is to hang up andbe 8  press redial, every time, hang up, dial hang up dial hang up dial...........

The only way to RELIABLY, be certain to get, an appointment there is to drag one's arse out of bed qnd get there by at THE LATEST, maybe ten minutes before the older opening time, which gives a good chance, or for certainty, get there 15-20 minutes beforehand and wait until the doors open to be in the very first couple of people through it. That way I can ensure an appointment with my favoured GP, the senior partner of the practice, there used to be one other guy who was just as well-educated, learned and shared in having, like my current favoured main GP, an absolutely excellent bedside manner
Might not necessarily comply with a given request if he thinks it wrong to do so, and upon being presented with literature detailing whatever, he won't ignore it just  because he already came to a decision. Willing to examine such, and to change a decision like that when, or if there is indeed sufficient justification for doing so. Not arrogant like some doctors either (as in '*I*, not YOU! am the doctor here! I know better than you do, and I'm always right' is an attitude SOME, crappy doctors do have, but this guy, he talks WITH you, not AT you/TO you.  And he isn't full of himself in a way that means he just won't alter a decision based on initial impressions, if then presented with good, solid logical medico-scientific evidence and justification. If its what is best for the patient, and he CAN do it, he DOES it.

Decent guy too, kindly. And he actually cares a lot for his patients. So did the other guy,but he left years ago, sadly suffering from severe depression. Real good man he was, I liked him as one of the two GPs there, including the other guy I always (try to) see now. But he IS difficult to get an appointment with him, as he is such a damn good doctor that EVERYBODY wants an appointment with him, thats one of the reasons appointments are taken so fast, within seconds to a minute of the lines opening and one must walk up there and make an appt in the flesh. A painful, pretty miserable prospect for me unless I have some pain relief to take, at least just a single dose, enough to cover the walk there and walk back (about ten minutes for most people,  about a half hour or so for me) unless I can get on the bike  and race it  up there. But even then, still, its far more pleasant an undertaking to get there on the bike, and under the influence of sufficient analgesia to dull, at least, if not to eliminate  it altogether (I would not ride a bike on a dose sufficient to yield that level of pain-freedom. It would be too dangerous. Well, I'd ride one off the roads and streets, out in the woods whilst out to scrag a few nice tasty wild fungal delicacies, but theres no traffic there, and few, few people. And if I did gouch out and take some free low-altitude flying lessons, the worst thats likely to happen is not injury, but falling off and taking a (literal) dirt nap. I.e, a nap, in dirt, not the terminal kind. Or at the absolute most serious outcome potentially possible, being stung by nettles or torn up a bit by bramble cane thorns.

Could be a lot worse. (Like the time as a kid, I wasn't so tall as the huge stands of bracken and male-fern; and taking  a walk with a childhood friend, plenty of high-spirited highjinks
and fucking around. Took a running dive, like my friend did, and leapt into the bracken, manytimes until, not realizing, the target area we were going for, actually concealed a ditch full of stagnant water and nettles. Probably a lot of deer-shit too:P

And ended up right in over the top of my head, AFTER standing up, having made a headfirst leaping dive into those dense ferns haha.

Or the time bike riding in the same woods with my ex fiancee, both of us on y-butyrolactone, and as such, very drunken and incoordinated and wobbly. Drunk-driving a pushbike through the empty woods at night. Lol, fuck only knows how many times we went over, until getting off and walking home with the bikes, as our G-tarded state wasn't in the slightest inclined to permit us to get away with anything else and remain upright :P

But I won't take a full on dose of pain meds, either prescription, over the counter, or fresh from the skunk-works; and then continue on to ride the bike anywhere BUT those kinds of un-inhabited, trafficless, mostly people-less, or at least they are thinly enough spread that no matter how pasted one may be, one may still avoid them without effort at all. on a half to 1g of morphine, IV, that would be simply enough, suicidal.

(not that I actually sleep, maybe 7 to 8 nights out of any ten consecutive nights. I'm usually up and awake all night, for the vast majority of most days and nights.)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6063 on: May 13, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »
The PR took her morning meds about 1 p.m.  I just blew mine off.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #6064 on: May 13, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »
Wine is definitely a med!    :wine:   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6065 on: May 13, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
Well I'll grant you that rockhound, sort-of. Although I am not a wine drinker, I cannot BEAR wine, neither the taste of it, nor the terrible stygian reek.

Beer on the other hand, or a nice dark rum, like captn. morgan's, or better still, midshipman's. Or failing that, if I just want to get drunk on the cheap, then vodka. Although I don't really drink heavily (actually given the massive potentiating effect of one of my meds on alcohol (think 2&2=not 4, but 22.) or something like that anyway, so drinking a relatively small quantity is much the equivalent of for instance drinking a pint of spirit; when in fact all thats been consumed  was one of the smallest size bottles (excluding single shot miniatures), or the medium/half bottles.

(if it were not for taking chlormethiazole or if I've delayed taking it so as to be safe to have a few drinks,  on the rare times I do so and its stronger than beer (which ends up being poured out of my lower half as fast as it can be poured into the upper one. The sheer volume of liquid precludes my being in danger due to interactions)

But definitely not wine. I've made the unfortunate mistake of trying red, white and champagne. Never tried rose, but I truly, truly do not ever plan to allow it to contaminate my nostrils with its likely stink
But beer, or some kinds of spirit and of liqueur, those I actually, do enjoy drinking. But my favorites are definitely beer/ale and for spirits, absinthe, as long as its not just nasty cheap inferior shit.

Best of all though is DEFINITELY

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6066 on: May 14, 2016, 01:31:29 AM »
No, not yet. I will.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6067 on: May 14, 2016, 04:04:00 AM »
Yes, I did. Washed it down with lots of water, followed by some tea. Then made sure I did stay in an upright position for half an hour.

:P
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6068 on: May 14, 2016, 04:42:06 AM »
Antibiotics? one of  the tetracyclines I'm guessing maybem or a macrolide. Guessing a tetracycline though. or possibly metro' ?

Trying to remember which one I've had that specified that. One definitely did..
I should be able to find the drug though by mentally listing the antibiotics I've ever taken  within the past three years, and cross-referencing that list with the entries for each drug in my copy of the BNF (lol lifted that from hospital.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6069 on: May 14, 2016, 10:09:55 AM »
Low dosage doxycycline. Why it works is still not completely clear, but it helps me with non bacterial inflammations. Could be that the non-bacterial inflammations are connected with bacterial population of the intestines. That's one of the explanations.

Only know that it works. Hope the effect will be there for a few years again, just like when I had them in 2013. Then I had them for four months. Think I'll have them for the full 6 months this time.

So the day starts with antibiotics and sunblock. And I hope not to forget supplements later in the day. I have a routine that I do not forget in the morning. But am not allowed to take them together.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6070 on: May 14, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
Heh, right on the mark. Bingo!

Doxy was my first thought actually, or failing that, a different tetracycline.
My body doesn't like the stuff much, I'm obviously not allergic, in the sense of an IgE response as I'd experience from penicillin, but my GI tract doesn't much care for tetracyclines, and both tetracycline itself
and doxy make me itch all over. Allergy, no, not like the IgE-mediated response and potential-to-likely anaphylaxis caused by my severe allergy to penicillins but certainly I'm intolerant of it and if I HAVE
to take it, have no choice to do otherwise, then I really do get made to feel utterly fucking miserable, and generally dope myself up heavily enough to knock me out cold, waking up to eat, piss, shit and take meds so I am not awake for more than a few minutes a day if I've GOT to take tetracyclines.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6071 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:14 PM »
I've had various reactions on different types of antibiotics. From big hives to upset intestines and getting covered with some candida patches. Doxycycline is one of the most easy antibiotics for my system to deal with.
Did not want it, but three years ago the agony was too big, and there was no other option. This time I was not even near the state of agony, but my eyes were getting in danger, so back to the doxycycline and hoping it will keep me relatively clean for another three years.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6072 on: May 14, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »
  Yes I did.  Good thing I picked up my new batch, the old batch is gone now.  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6073 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »
I did. And I will add medicinal whisky.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6074 on: May 14, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
 :2thumbsup:  and I'm still tasting the turmeric
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: