Educational

Author Topic: What are you going to do today?  (Read 38443 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What are you going to do today?
« Reply #1485 on: November 19, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
Well, we got everything over there.

My smallish, oldest tool box that I bought when I was eighteen (kept the two larger much more modern ones at home with most of my tools) with a minimal set of hand tools, several old lights and stands, many manuals, catalogs and books geared around this year of Chevelle, a hot plate, skillet, toaster oven, foil and a small refrigerator.

My neighbor has a flatbed trailer which fit it all in one trip.
Still crying a little.

I forgot to bring myself a chair, though.
I will need a chair! AND a table.

How are you going to sleep with the baby that far from home? ;)

When I first met my SO...years before the first date, he had a red 69 Chevelle SS, he used to burn the tires off the thing pulling out of the mini mart I worked at. My boss hated him...she used to run out the door screaming over the roar of the engine while I just smiled in the corner. :zoinks:

I was one of the first ones to call him a dumbass when he later traded it on the "something  more sensible" new Chevy Cavalier later on.

He loved that car, still mourns it to this day. His mom helped talk him into trading it I think, sad. It was a beast. 8)

Sounds like an awesome ride. Mine is not that different. Same era, at least.

While I am a big fan of showy burnouts, I know what it feels like to buy new tires. I did do a couple of "light 'em UP!" experiments when I first got the car, but that was all in the interest of pure science, you see.  I had to determine if the limited slip differential was working properly. It does.

How did he enjoy his Cavalier? (I can think of a number of fun things to do with a Cavalier, all involving fire or explosives   :green: )
Had he become domesticated, some how?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1486 on: November 19, 2019, 04:25:48 PM »
Not much of today left. I guess I'll try to go to bed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1487 on: November 19, 2019, 08:09:38 PM »
Going to collect my NDIS plan. I've been thinking of washing my car but it's really windy out there. Maybe tomorrow.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1488 on: November 20, 2019, 07:13:25 AM »
Starting the day with a doctors appt because it's time for my physical. First time with the new doctor so I'm all  :GA:
Then I have to do errands. Next is drive my dogs 90 mins to the place where they're being boarded for the next 3 nights. Have an evening meeting and then head to the hotel by the airport to spend the night because I'm doing park and fly and I have to be at the airport for 4:15am. I live an hour away from the airport and with it being winter, I can't afford for something to go amiss and I miss my flight.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1489 on: November 20, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
^You're busy!

Washing the car will happen plus I'm going to meet up with someone for a walk along the foreshore.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1490 on: November 21, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »
The day is almost over, so I guess I'll post here and see if my bug fixes worked.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1491 on: November 22, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »
I am finishing up a really cool old Japanese meat cleaver I found a few months back at a yard sale.
It is carbon steel as opposed to the more modern ones which are almost all stainless steel. It was quite neglected and rusty when I paid one dollar for it. I first noticed the wood handle was exotic maple of some sort. Decided it was worth saving. I have completely restored it to shiny, razor sharp perfection.

I have been baking layers of grape seed oil into the wood and on the steel surfaces in the oven for most of the day. Oven at about one hundred eighty five degrees Fahrenheit - low as my oven will go.

About done. Almost time to heat up the oven and put in some cornbread.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:34:38 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1492 on: November 22, 2019, 05:04:29 PM »
I am finishing up a really cool old Japanese meat cleaver I found a few months back at a yard sale.
It is carbon steel as opposed to the more modern ones which are almost all stainless steel. It was quite neglected and rusty when I paid one dollar for it. I first noticed the wood handle was exotic maple of some sort. Decided it was worth saving. I have completely restored it to shiny, razor sharp perfection.

I have been baking layers of grape seed oil into the wood and on the steel surfaces in the oven for most of the day. Oven at about one hundred eighty five degrees Fahrenheit - low as my oven will go.

My SO makes knives. Right now just the handles but we're hoping to build a forge at some point so he can make the blades as well.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1493 on: November 22, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Going to try to relax while walking the dogs, feeding the kids, etc.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1494 on: November 24, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »
Hoping to do very little talking. Socially burned out
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1495 on: November 25, 2019, 02:33:49 AM »
:chores:

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #1496 on: November 25, 2019, 11:59:55 AM »
Chill, read a new book about the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.  Very detailed and fascinating. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1497 on: November 25, 2019, 03:46:12 PM »
I need to keep running my choir pieces. I'm supposed to have a few memorized by now and I'm not there yet. Although super excited about singing with a full Ceilidh band
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1498 on: November 25, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
Not much of today left.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1499 on: November 25, 2019, 09:30:06 PM »

My SO makes knives. Right now just the handles but we're hoping to build a forge at some point so he can make the blades as well.

I do not have forge.
I have made a few knives of interesting shapes from known tool steel, like files and large cut-off saw blades. To temper I use a large plumber's torch that I have owned since I was a teen. I have a large head for it and it gets really hot between a couple of bricks. It creates plenty of heat to destroy the magnetic properties of any metal I have tried it on. I am no expert, but I have had some successes.

I am always looking for decent knives which just need to have their handles restored. I always look for handles in every wood pile I see.
Much of the maple, cherry and oak that my buddy down the alley uses in his winter wood-fired whole house heating stove have shown me some great wood with which to work.

Obviously, instead of calling the police on him when he is cutting near dark like fucking morons do to their neighbors (think of that rockhuncher guy bragging about calling the cops on HIS neighbor when the sawing started), I go down and offer a hand chain sawing, splitting and stacking. In return he offers me all the wood I want for my own outdoor fire pit and small woodworking projects. Kind of makes sense to go over and help neighbors instead of starting a fight with one every time they start up a tool that makes noise.

I even took a small four pound sledge I found on the side of the road with a broken handle and replaced it with a nice cherry "short" handle for bench work if I ever need a heavy hand tool. That beautiful cherry handle came right out of my neighbor's burn pile.

I have been looking at the work of a "northern" blacksmith, online. I think he is Swedish, so, you know, Odeon probably knows him and all.
 :laugh:

His name is (excuse the use of a plain English keyboard) Torbjorn Ahman. He has a youtube channel and you get to see his massively "primitive" style (I mean the guy uses a hammer to make stuff!) develop into some amazing tools, hardware work, even some beautiful art at times. He has made iris flowers, candle sconces, many of the tools he needs to make the next thing and scary Halloween spiders from his forge and his hammers.
It is mesmerizing!

Check out his website:
http://www.torbjornahman.se/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:53:23 PM by DirtDawg »