Educational

Author Topic: What are you going to do today?  (Read 38445 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What are you going to do today?
« Reply #990 on: April 17, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
 More:

Lilacs are about ready to set themselves apart.

Unopened buds are a mass of peonies about ready to set themselves apart as well although not so much fragrance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:42:38 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #991 on: April 17, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
More:

Money plant, before they turn into silver dollar looking seed things, then a variety that most would avoid, but I have this variegated variety of knotweed (bastardly invasive) in a small rock area. It may still get out, but so far so good.

And of course, I always allow dandelions to seed. Fuck the neighbors! I like them!!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:48:12 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #992 on: April 17, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
More:

Lettuce that we buy that is organic still alive and I grow it on after eating the leaves. This is a very cool way to grow lettuce.

Then a Variegated Soloman's Seal plant with somewhat fragrant blooms about to explode. I have a bed about eight feet by three feet about reafy to really make a show.

Another viburnum with even more (although not as intense as the Cayuga types) really fragrant blooms - maybe about two weeks time.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:55:29 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #993 on: April 17, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
More:

A couple of things I plan to use to create my daughter's gnome garden. Some thyme and Irish moss, I have some lichens growing on a maple in the back that I feel we can transplant if careful to bring all the bark.
I also have rosemary and lavender to make little trees.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #994 on: April 17, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »
More:

Nice little double petal daffodils and a rare deep color tulip variety. Tulip is a native Turkish variety. Interesting that they are blooming at the same time of year. Weird year!

Addendum:
Notice how this particular type of tulip fold their petals backward and open way more radically than what you would normally see in Holland or Michigan tulip hybrid types. Most of those types are grown for a spectacular display, but are mostly infertile hybrids and do not entice a specific pollinator. These raw, native Turkish types are still expecting a very large night marauding moth to enjoy its nectar and carry its pollen to the fields abroad.
You won't see  "common, popular"  tulips display their inner wonders as freely as these native, non-hybrid types do.
Sorry to report this one is being invaded by one of our local stink bugs in broad daylight. You can see his wings in the pic, as his business is taking advantage of such a treat.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:57:22 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #995 on: April 17, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »

More fun Daffodils and tulips along with another variety of viburnum I grow :

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #996 on: April 17, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »
Thank you for posting those DirtDawg, they are pretty.
:dog:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #997 on: April 17, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
Lovely pictures Dirtdawg.  Makes me wish I had a green thumb and the persistence to be a gardener.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #998 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:10 PM »
Thank you for posting those DirtDawg, they are pretty.

I am glad that you appreciate them.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #999 on: April 17, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
Lovely pictures Dirtdawg.  Makes me wish I had a green thumb and the persistence to be a gardener.

Not so sure if it is persistence as it might be just cabin fever this time of year. Growing a garden is a damn hood excuse to get outside all year long, to be honest.

Getting outside is the best part of gardening, but maybe I do have a bit of Hobbit in me as well.
I never reached six feet, quite, stopped at five eleven.
My father was six two and at eighteen, my son is six two and outweighs me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:04:23 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1000 on: April 17, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
Taxes  :viking:

Just had to send the Orange Menace another $22k to even up for 2016.  FML.

Holy shit, that's a lot of taxes!   :GA:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1001 on: April 17, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
  I'm going to the supermarket tonight so I can stay home tomorrow.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1002 on: April 19, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »
Knotweed? as in japanese knotweed? that is an irresponsible plant to grow, above most others, considering it probably has no natural predators where you are, and if it does get loose it will probably make your home unsaleable, and ruin the local area. You do realize, if that is the same knotweed, that if it gets loose, you can't just get rid of it, one tiny fragment of rootlet in the soil is all it takes. And to get rid of a SINGLE plant may take measures as drastic as removing hundreds of cubic feet of soil. Its hard to poison, little or nothing will eat it and it spreads like turd in an arse hole factory. Get rid of it while you still can, if you still can. Oh and you can probably get done for allowing it  to grow (especially deliberately) on your property. Stuff is a foreign, noxious and extremely persistent, highly invasive plague of a weed.

Reminds me, I need to do my gardening for this year, plant out a poppy crop or five here and there.

Got some khat seeds (Catha edulis) too, plus some belladonna, both the typical purple flowered kind and some thats a pale cream white color morph, even the seeds are pale blonde. I don't of course intend to ingest the belladonna, aside from certain uses in herbal medicine (very small quantities are useful for sickness, nausea and checking excessive nasal running whilst I'm wearing a gas mask, so snce I can't very well adjust it in-situ, a much diluted preparation locally applied could be of service. The khat I really want to get growing though, quite an interesting herb, its chewed, like coca leaf, the fresh leaves and upper shoots, or made into a tea. Tastes like shite, but it contains a natural beta-keto amphetamine, cathinone, plus norephedrine, norpseudoephedrine, and similar alkaloids, and has a stimlant property when chewed and kept between the cheek and gums as a  quid. Ethnically speaking, much used amongst somali, kenyans and especially, in yemen much like we might use alcohol down at a pub socially, they chew khat, being forbidden booze as towelheads. Not sure if the seeds are viable still, but one would think given the climate of countries like that the species would evolve to be capable of dormancy for a year or two.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1003 on: April 19, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
Knotweed? as in japanese knotweed? that is an irresponsible plant to grow, above most others, considering it probably has no natural predators where you are, and if it does get loose it will probably make your home unsaleable, and ruin the local area. You do realize, if that is the same knotweed, that if it gets loose, you can't just get rid of it, one tiny fragment of rootlet in the soil is all it takes. And to get rid of a SINGLE plant may take measures as drastic as removing hundreds of cubic feet of soil. Its hard to poison, little or nothing will eat it and it spreads like turd in an arse hole factory. Get rid of it while you still can, if you still can. Oh and you can probably get done for allowing it  to grow (especially deliberately) on your property. Stuff is a foreign, noxious and extremely persistent, highly invasive plague of a weed.

Reminds me, I need to do my gardening for this year, plant out a poppy crop or five here and there.

Got some khat seeds (Catha edulis) too, plus some belladonna, both the typical purple flowered kind and some thats a pale cream white color morph, even the seeds are pale blonde. I don't of course intend to ingest the belladonna, aside from certain uses in herbal medicine (very small quantities are useful for sickness, nausea and checking excessive nasal running whilst I'm wearing a gas mask, so snce I can't very well adjust it in-situ, a much diluted preparation locally applied could be of service. The khat I really want to get growing though, quite an interesting herb, its chewed, like coca leaf, the fresh leaves and upper shoots, or made into a tea. Tastes like shite, but it contains a natural beta-keto amphetamine, cathinone, plus norephedrine, norpseudoephedrine, and similar alkaloids, and has a stimlant property when chewed and kept between the cheek and gums as a  quid. Ethnically speaking, much used amongst somali, kenyans and especially, in yemen much like we might use alcohol down at a pub socially, they chew khat, being forbidden booze as towelheads. Not sure if the seeds are viable still, but one would think given the climate of countries like that the species would evolve to be capable of dormancy for a year or two.

I already offered my disclaimer regarding this particular Polygonum. This is a hybrid, variegated type, meant as a decorative plant. Considered invasive but nothing like the Fallopia (Japanese) type you may be talking about.

I also grow a less invasive knotweed called more properly Persicaria. This one is more commonly called Dragon Tongue because of the distinctive red shape running longitudinally along every leaf. Both are quite beautiful in bloom as well and are considered to be great attracters of pollinators, especially ground burrowing wasps.
These have not emerged as yet.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1004 on: April 19, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »
Take Liam to the vet to get his allergies checked. His throat has healed (Kayleigh took his collar off and I think that helped a lot) and fur is growing back on his legs and feet. Slowly.

I don't know if he will get another injection or be put on tablets that we have to mix into his food.

Edit: The vet office rang and changed the appointment for tomorrow instead. This is so we can see the same vet as last time. Because usually we get a different vet every time we go there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:58:09 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae