Author Topic: What are you going to do today?  (Read 38445 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What are you going to do today?
« Reply #945 on: April 11, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »
Glad you have that safety gear for your face. Bummer about your hair.

Dishes are on the agenda for today as I think Kayleigh has used every dish for the past two nights for dinner.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #946 on: April 12, 2017, 01:51:36 AM »
Gonna buy olive oil that isn't off. My whole family is fine with eating off food. I don't understand it, never have since I was a child. I even remember my (nice) cousin coming over from America, saying that she didn't like the milk in England because it tasted like cheese. Well.  :laugh:
:dog:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #947 on: April 12, 2017, 06:04:18 AM »
Gonna buy olive oil that isn't off. My whole family is fine with eating off food. I don't understand it, never have since I was a child. I even remember my (nice) cousin coming over from America, saying that she didn't like the milk in England because it tasted like cheese. Well.  :laugh:

Are they hoarders?  I've seen hoarders on TV who defended their choice to eat stuff way past
  the expiration date.  I imagine they've developed some sort of immune superpowers.  Enjoy fresh oil.  8)   
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #948 on: April 12, 2017, 06:32:17 AM »

Are they hoarders?  I've seen hoarders on TV who defended their choice to eat stuff way past
  the expiration date.  I imagine they've developed some sort of immune superpowers.  Enjoy fresh oil.  8)

YES they are hoarders! They buy a lot of milk, about 4-6 2l bottles, each, and they don't use them up in time. Same with other stuff. All the oil tastes off.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #949 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »

YES they are hoarders! They buy a lot of milk, about 4-6 2l bottles, each, and they don't use them up in time. Same with other stuff. All the oil tastes off.

There was a retired lady on one of the hoarder shows who regularly bought enough food for
  an army, though she lived alone, just to be sure she had lots of options.  When she was young and poor,
  she'd had very limited options, so she was making up for it in old age.  Unfortunately, almost all the food
  she bought ended up expiring, yet she wouldn't throw it away.  She didn't seem to realize that the food
  was already "wasted" the minute she bought it.  She tried to salvage seeds from her rotten pumpkin.  :-\

People forget.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #950 on: April 12, 2017, 06:45:48 AM »

There was a retired lady on one of the hoarder shows who regularly bought enough food for
  an army, though she lived alone, just to be sure she had lots of options.  When she was young and poor,
  she'd had very limited options, so she was making up for it in old age.  Unfortunately, almost all the food
  she bought ended up expiring, yet she wouldn't throw it away.  She didn't seem to realize that the food
  was already "wasted" the minute she bought it.  She tried to salvage seeds from her rotten pumpkin.  :-\

I get you about that generation. My nan likes to save everything. My mum and nan even go through the bins to see if they can rescue anything. My mum's place has piles of things high up like they do in those hoarder programmes...except she's clean, organised and tidy with it.

If my nan discovers mouldy fruit, she'll just wash off the mould and eat it. Maybe it's still OK, but I dunno, I wouldn't touch it. Mould isn't just a surface thing, it has veins.

Fresh pumpkin seeds roasted taste really nice. Waaay better than buying it in packets from the supermarket. Rotten though, I think I'll pass.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #951 on: April 12, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
  My parents saved everything.  Everything.  There are still stacks of plastic margarine tubs
  with lids, there were 23 glass jars with lids on a shelf in the laundry room, tons of old papers.  Bags of old
  science magazines.  Boxes and boxes of stuff that never got taken out of the newspaper it was packed in.
  Our house wasn't squalorous like many hoarder houses, the walking areas were clear and the rooms were
  presentable, but there was just way too much kept.  I try to prune my own hoards now.  :-\

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #952 on: April 12, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »
Eating moldy food, with a very few exceptions, such as foods that are deliberately cultured and infected with molds as part of the preparation, such as blue cheese, is a stupid idea. There are plenty of microfungi that produce some pretty seriously heavy-duty toxins, such as Aspergillus species (aflatoxins, some of the most powerful, potent liver toxins known), or even T2 toxin and other trichothecene mycotoxins, these have seen use in bio-chemical warfare and are of very high, possibly fatal toxicity).

There is a kind of tofu-like product, a kind of tempeh, that is still made clandestinely, but has become illegal due to the dangerous nature of contaminants, called tempeh bongkrek, an indonesian thing thats made from fermented coconut pulp IIRC, and there is a common contaminant that feeds off some of the fats in it to produce a pair of toxins, toxoflavin which isn't so well understood, and is unsurprisingly given the name, yellow and poisonous, and an ionophore type toxin (ionophores act as direct ion carriers through cells forming temporary ion channels that aren't meant to be there and destroy ion gradients in cells, often deadly to the cell by collapsing the ion gradients, the highly toxic dinitrophenol, known to bodybuilders and weight loss seekers as DNP acts as a proton ionophore, decoupling ATP production from energy production and use in cells, making it go to waste as heat instead of being utilized for example can cause somebody to overheat to death, really nasty way to go too, as well as starving cells of energy, killing them, by essentially shuttling protons into cells bypassing the electron transport chain thats responsible for energy production and utilization)

That tofu-like dish had to be banned because it was so dangerous, and consumers were dying, although illicit home-manufacture with occasional contamination and death continues.

And ty ren, although don't worry, not much damage done to my hair, and the face shield made sure that it was just some shrivelled locks reduced to ashes rather than the same happening to my face, full thickness third degree burns and potentially fatal poisoning, loss of my eyes etc. That face shield is worth its weight in gold:)

As it was, just lots of smoke, and stink of burnt hair, and a loud THWACK! as the amp shattered, peppering the shield with phosphorus-covered broken glass fragments. no white phosphorus burns. Found bits of the amp and got rid of them, but it appears that most of it was disintegrated into dust.

As for what I'm doing today, I've got a load of muscle-rub type sprays that are made primarily, aside from propellant and a bit of menthol, with just denatured alcohol and n-pentane. So I'm doing a distillation, I need the alcohol for crystallizations and extractions since I've none left and need to order more methanol, ethanol and isopropanol, but I decided I'd fractionally distill it and save the rather useful hydrocarbon solvent pentane, since its unreactive, but very volatile, being just a little higher boiling than the next less heavy alkane hydrocarbons, the butanes, and n-pentane has a boiling point of just 35.9 'C so can be removed from things, and used very handily for crystallizations with speed and ease with just a warm water bath.

So the still is set up and a water bath set up on the hotplate, with the receiver going into an bath of salted ice, lots of it, water, acetone and antifreeze. Down to about -10 'C to maybe -15 'C to catch the pentane, for future use. I ended up sleeping for much of today after being awake last night, so had turned the still off and just left plenty ice to keep the pentane boiling off at room temperature, time to go get it cooking again :)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #953 on: April 12, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
Not much today, just get my paperwork together for my appointment with the tax guy ... and also
try to get my head together for my dental appointment.  My teeth are an ongoing source of worry for me.
My dental health is one area of my life in which I probably can't "make up for lost time."  I've heard that
there are new processes in trial that can enable decayed teeth to remineralize, but those advances will
almost certainly be too late for my teeth.  I just have to get strict about daily care and proactive about
treatment, which will involve a lot of out-of-pocket expenses.  I'm listening to this now, it's apropos.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #954 on: April 13, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
I've been busy all night, getting the PH down with wash, after wash, after wash, after wash of manganese ore to free it of sulfur content and of potassium, after first digesting it in sulfuric acid, waiting about a week for the insoluble shite to settle, keeping the Mn content soluble, then treating the resultant pale greenish solution (kind of a chlorine sickly green, but a bit darker) followed by treatment with a concentrated solution of potassium hydroxide (caustic potash, KOH) to separate the manganese content out as an insoluble precipitate allowing the surplus potassium hydroxide and the formed potassium sulfate to be removed by repetitive stages of water washing, allowing the heavy, insoluble refined manganese artificial 'ore' to settle out to the bottom and decanting off as much of the water as possible without loosing more than a trace of the Mn, which in any case isn't actually lost, as I'm keeping the wash water and allowing it to precipitate the last scraps, before finally (before reduction to elemental manganese metal, that too will have to be purified once liberated) combining the fractions containing the prepared ore, as a fine powder, with metallic magnesium, again as fine powder, or aluminium, I'm contemplating which to use, I might go with either, but given manganese metal is quite reactive, and that unlike for example, aluminium, or chromium, Mn, like iron, tarnishes in air, and corrodes via oxidation especially when wet, so the quicker the aqueous processing steps done to the metal the better, and it will be attacked by many acids fairly easily, so forming it using magnesium and going via acid leaching of the MgO to produce soluble Mg salts and leave the Mn metal behind might prove inconvenient, but aluminium oxide, Al2O3 is amphoteric (having properties of both acid and base) and treatment with strong base would give aluminate salts, and if I remember rightly, these dissolve to form alums (alkali metal aluminium tartrates) in alkali metal tartrate solution and rendered soluble after precipitation of all the insoluble aluminium based crap during the end stage of reductions using LAH (lithium aluminium hydride,  LiAlH4, a commonly used and versatile, although pyrophoric, air- and moisture-sensitive hydride reducing agent).

Might just have a go at reducing some silica to elemental silicon as well.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #955 on: April 13, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
Considering a cold beer later.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #956 on: April 13, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
Not much today, just get my paperwork together for my appointment with the tax guy ... and also
try to get my head together for my dental appointment.  My teeth are an ongoing source of worry for me.
My dental health is one area of my life in which I probably can't "make up for lost time."  I've heard that
there are new processes in trial that can enable decayed teeth to remineralize, but those advances will
almost certainly be too late for my teeth.  I just have to get strict about daily care and proactive about
treatment, which will involve a lot of out-of-pocket expenses.  I'm listening to this now, it's apropos.  :apondering:

:hug:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #957 on: April 13, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »
Going to pick up The PR from therapy, wait for the water to be turned back on (upgrade of the neighborhood water mains), grocery shop, make chicken salad when it's turned on,  appointment to sign paperwork to get The PR on the Emergency Services Waiver waiting list, clean up some of the house, put garbage out, put together a load of clothes to take to the laundrymat, clean up a mess in the carport, take items from the trunk of the car.

All meals will be bought from outside since I'm not entirely sure when the water will be turned back on.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #958 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:09 AM »
Going to do some serious cleaning around the house, do my taxes, finish writing and testing a piece of code I didn't quite finish yesterday, and take the dog out for a walk.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #959 on: April 14, 2017, 03:05:10 AM »
It happens tot be one of those "Lets empathize with our glorious leader" days.
Sore hip, visual snow, itching eyes, mild headache. And as cherry on top the small joints in my hands ache. Especially in my right index vinger. I taped it to my middle finger. That does help.

What I am going to do?
Some serious housekeeping. Should do something about taxes too. But not today.

I know I've not morphed into Odeon because there is a cat on my lap and my female bits are bothering me too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!