Educational

Author Topic: What are you going to do today?  (Read 38444 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What are you going to do today?
« Reply #915 on: March 26, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
  Laundry, cleaning, de-hoarding.  Boring stuff that 50somethings do.  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #916 on: March 27, 2017, 05:37:20 AM »

Let's do it together.  :cbc: :hyke:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #917 on: March 27, 2017, 05:53:01 AM »
Take moody, disgruntled kid to school, take moody, disgruntled SO to pain Dr.

Come home and contemplate running away on half a tank of gas and less than $100 in cash...throw more laundry in, list more stuff, and cook.

I should probably get drunk and pretend to be a pirate...they have cable in the psyche ward I'm told.

Maybe I can wrestle the wimpy guy that thinks he's Jesus for the remote and watch cartoons.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #918 on: March 27, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
Open up a glass syringe and dig out some iodine that has crystallized in there after using the syringe itself to transfer some iodine monochloride onto various substrates for testing its reactivity towards various substances.

(magnesium dust, something like 500 mesh, surprisingly less reactive than expected. Aluminium powder, 30 micron particle size-no spontaneous reaction other than starting to turn to white solid, either AlI3 or AlCl3 anhydrous, didn't test which, ignition to the point of glowing white hot upon the slightest flame being applied. Sulfur-solid, small chunk, dissolved into a stinking puddle of blackish goo, smoked plenty, stank some more, oddly, became very difficult to ignite at all with a blowtorch, held flame on it sufficiently long to thermally decompose the interhalogen into its component chlorine gas and iodine and it would only burn for a second or two after withdrawal of the flame. Have yet to try powdered sulfur. Will also, once I take up somebody's offer, try it on tellurium, staying masked and WELL downwind. Because Te has a nasty side effect of absorption of even traces. You stink. And stink for a long time, badly enough that I've heard the term for it, 'tellurium breath' being used as an insult, and of people killing themselves, as well as any object they touch becoming contaminated by the traces of alkyl tellurides coming out in sweat, such as uni books forevermore stinking and having to be retired lest somebody else happen to touch them and suffer the same.

Contact with phosphorus (red)-instant hypergolic ignition the second the two chemicals contacted each other. One drop of ICl and the small sample of red P burst into an intense flaring flame.

Something odd happened too-there was later, 7-8 HOURS later, and in a place in the garden I did not DO these experiments near, with this air- and atmospheric moisture-sensitive compound, observed by my old man, a sudden occurrence of a patch of what used to be grass and soil, but had become a crater full of black, bubbling, smoking goo where part of the lawn used to be. That I am actually perplexed by, since it was far away from  the experiments, and ICl is highly volatile, and it isn't stable near either things that can be oxidized, near water, exposure to air, or even atmospheric water vapor content. It would, if placed in a glass petri dish and left outside, just vaporize away, perhaps leaving behind a little iodine, more likely evaporate totally. So I am actually perplexed by whatever caused that blackened, bubbling hole in the lawn, where both soil and grass as well as wet moss around it were replaced by a liquefied pit, filled with something slimy looking, giving off smoke, almost 8 hours later, after a frost.

What am I going to do today...harvest the remainder of my iodine monochloride from its flask, transfer it to bottle with chemically very resistant cap and seal that I know will tolerate ICl having held a sample of a fraction of 1ml for months and months without being eaten through or damaged in any way, with the screw threads wrapped in a thick layer of teflon tape. It doesn't eat glass, at least, and presumably the cap is made from teflon. Stupid pork left quite a few of those chemical-resistant sample bottles after 'taking samples' of many of my reagents allegedly for analysis and then leaving them on my benchtop. Now they just serve me as something to use for containment of some of the nastier, more dangerous and volatile reagents I have, which would burn through, set on fire or disintegrate most plastics. Those vials must be highly resistant as they'd need to be able to sample nearly anything.

And also, I'll finish gutting some batteries for their potassium hydroxide (caustic potash, KOH) electrolyte and the manganese dioxide content serving as depolarizer so I can purify the MnO2 and turn it to a salt of manganese, such as the sulfate, and then work on trying to isolate some Mn metal. (its one of the transition metals, quite reactive, and in small quantities vital as a micronutrient to humans, although too much, especially via inhalational route is known to cause manganism, a form of poisoning characterized by a progressive parkinsonian-like neurological damage.

Going to (outside of course, wearing mask with additional particle filters attached) attempt electrorefining of the  sulfate or chloride  salts to manganese metal, which I have never actually seen. I've used its compounds plenty often, either as the dioxide, MnO2, or KMnO4/NaMnO4 respectively. I've also produced as a byproduct, what I believe is sodium manganate or manganite, bright apple-green crystalline compound with a color similar to day-glow greenish yellow highlighter pen ink.

And have when younger, encountered the rather dangerous, and powerful permanganic acid anhydride, Mn2O7, formed via the action of concentrated sulfuric acid on potassium or sodium permanganate, its a dark greeny black, more or less violet black with a slight greenish sheen depending on the angle of light, extremely powerful oxidizer, but not something I'd keep around, since it can explode with very little provocation, such as organic dust motes in the air settling down and coming into contact with this manganese heptoxide.

The green compound would have been either manganese (II) oxide, or potassium or sodium manganate, K2MnO4 or Na2MnO4. Not sure which.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #919 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:11 AM »

Let's do it together.  :cbc: :hyke:

I actually got a lot done last night!  How about you?  :)

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #920 on: March 28, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Look for some important documents that I browsed past in the last few months and need now
Figure out what is for dinner (cabbage and hot sausage for me, ? for The PR)
Hang some laundry to dry
Forgot what else

See?  The list helped me remember some of what I should/will forget to do.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #921 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:27 AM »
About to commence work on converting a fish tank left behind after I kicked out my bitch-from-hell former housemate into a sealed glove-box, for doing things like work in sterile conditions, and for things that either for their sake, mine, or both, need to be kept isolated from either the environment or people, or both.

About to start drilling holes through the glass top and sides for gas feeds and exits, scrubber tanks and such like. Adding in one-way valves, seals, glass front and various input ports using a diamond-tipped cutter to bore through the glass, as well as the glass version of a hacksaw blade, which is basically a round wire covered in some kind of abrasive, tungsten carbide I think, its not quick but being rounded it can be moved in any direction once through a hole (which involves taking the wire out of the saw, slotting it through a drilled hole and then reassembling the saw with the wire blade fed through the hole, with the ends of the saw frame on both the outside and inside of the glass. Not borosilicate glass, but it doesn't really have to be since it won't itself be directly exposed to extremities of temperature. Just nasty chemicals and (at different times, obviously, cultures of any organisms I might happen to work with, since bacteria, fungi, yeasts, plant cell cultures and the like can do an awful lot of things conventional chemical synthetic approaches are essentially, too rough on delicate substrates, and with usually very very good selectivity, enzymatic biotransformations have a lot of potential and of course such things as cultures need keeping sterile in order not to get contaminated and/or overrun with whatever bugs happen to be floating about outside.

And adding things to the outside as well, such as pressure-equalization tubes, suck-back traps etc.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:03:52 AM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #922 on: March 29, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
Cleaning up in the yard and shed.  Also I began cleaning up a little vise I got the other day as a tip.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #923 on: March 29, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
Look for some important documents that I browsed past in the last few months and need now
Figure out what is for dinner (cabbage and hot sausage for me, ? for The PR)
Hang some laundry to dry
Forgot what else

See?  The list helped me remember some of what I should/will forget to do.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #924 on: March 29, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »
  I have to do some paperwork and get to the post office to mail it.  :headhurts:

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #925 on: March 29, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
Cleaning up in the yard and shed.  Also I began cleaning up a little vise I got the other day as a tip.

I love that vice.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #926 on: March 29, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »

I love that vice.

It is a big boy at 120 pounds only about 30 pounds less than my anvil.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #927 on: March 30, 2017, 04:44:54 AM »

Take Two.  This time I will actually get it done! :pirate:

People forget.

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #928 on: March 30, 2017, 06:35:00 AM »
Nothing left to do today except go to bed!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #929 on: March 30, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »

Take Two.  This time I will actually get it done! :pirate:

It's done.  Papers mailed off to their destination, reimbursement money coming my way.  :clap:

People forget.