Educational

Author Topic: What are you going to do today?  (Read 38437 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What are you going to do today?
« Reply #885 on: March 20, 2017, 04:09:11 PM »
Mad? Its everybody else thats insane, not me:P

And currently the only glow in the dark item in the lab is a sample of white phosphorus, which glows an eerie green
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:20:13 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #886 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »
Mad? Its everybody else thats insane, not me:P

You have the awesome ability to explode people. How is that not mad? :P
:dog:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #887 on: March 20, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »
@ Lestat - Yes, I know it's the kitchen.  I meant that you need a properly equipped, spacious dedicated area to work in.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #888 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:14 AM »
:chores:

Lots of work to do. Let's hope the puppy will let me do it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #889 on: March 21, 2017, 03:40:13 AM »
I have a dedicated lab room. That isn't, however, luxuriously spacious.

And for what I'm upto doing...I'm doing a work in progress video series (had to film in short bites due to memory card constraints), doing some inorganic chem, the synthesis of an interhalogen compound, interhalogens being di- or polyatomic molecules containing only atoms of the halogen series, namely, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine (although I will be omitting the fluorinated ones, too damn dangerous by far. A gas mask or NBC suit wouldn't provide any protection because it would just set the suit ablaze on contact with the vapours of say, chlorine trifluoride. Iodine, bromine and chlorine compounds are on the menu so to speak, though.

Essentially, the halogens form diatomic molecules naturally, F2, Cl2, Br2 and I2 respectively down the column containing the halogens on the periodic table. Busy converting video stream to a format other than fuckin' quicktime.

I've been working all night on my synthesis, passing chlorine gas through a column packed with iodine. There are two possible stoichiometries for iodine chlorides, the monochloride, ICl, and the trichloride.  ICl is a bromine-coloured compound, that has a quite low melting point, but can exist in crystalline polymorphs too, until melted, but is easy enough to condense from the vapor phase. This is done in an enclosed system , because the compound is toxic and irritant, like chlorine, or bromine etc. And also it means handling elemental chlorine gas. Gas mask, with cartridges capable of dealing with halogens (fluorine excluded since its so fucking reactive, it'll set bricks on fire in the dilute gaseous state! and it is lethally toxic in a manner the other halogens are not, that is to say, it has its own special mode of toxicity, chelating calcium from blood, when hydrofluoric acid forms, that, and its habit of setting everything it touches on fire more or less, and eating glass.

Right now, I am just converting between formats, and then need to remove the metadata from the files in order to protect my privacy. Will link to the preparation of the reagent in my public lab thread. Its nothing illegal, and certainly not a psychoactive drug. I pity the poor bastard that would swallow this stuff. But all the same, the like of exif metadata has to go.

And if your wondering about the change in my voice, it'll be because there was a gas mask being worn. But the process itself, the equipment setup and use, as well as collection of the product and its purification will be covered. And so will safety, because this synthesis does involve the use of toxic chemicals, the product iodine monochloride itself is corrosive and it also hydrolyzes rapidly on contact with water, including its fuming in the air due to atmospheric moisture levels So it will be distilled directly into a collection bottle without breaking the closed system. Likewise transfer of chlorine-forming reagents into the chlorine generation flask is done by syringe and the transfer line clipped closed when not actively transferring reagents or pushing gas (dried air, dried by the inline condenser prior to the iodine containing column, with the calcium chloride serving to dry both air and the chlorine as it is formed. Ordinarily I would use inert gas techniques, although ICl can be handled without, rather than stabilizing the compound, the gas is to sweep the chlorine gas through the column of iodine, enabling the Cl2 to be generated at a manageable rate yet still drive it through the reactant column filled with I2 without interacting with the reactants. I'll probably go grab an argon tank or three or four before I finish the synth. Also, the rate of flow is important, as too much drives the reaction to produce the other iodine-chlorine interhalogen, iodine trichloride.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:19:20 AM by Lestat »

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #890 on: March 21, 2017, 04:26:43 AM »
This is a reversible reaction however. A little of what is almost certainly iodine trichloride formed at first, and is still present, at the end closest the Cl2 source. I shall of course, keep it, counting that as killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, just need to purify the two reagents once the synth is done, and separate them from one another.

And afterwards, the liquid iodine monochloride will be transferred to borosilicate glass ampoules using an all-glass syringe and cannula. and sealed for long term storage until usage is desired with a little inert gas over the top. Argon or nitrogen will do just fine for this. Nitrogen is substantially cheaper on a volume basis than argon, but I tend to prefer to use argon for most of my inert work, as there are chemicals that react with nitrogen, such as lithium metal, and thus I buy argon unless there is a specific reason to do otherwise, or keep just one or two nitrogen tanks on hand.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:33:56 AM by Lestat »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #891 on: March 21, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
I'm flying back home. Going to write as much as I can of a paper I want to present in August.

Why work on it now?  You've got till August.  Put it off.  >:D

There is a paper deadline followed by a peer review happening a lot sooner than that.

In that case, you'd better get busy!   :police:  :chores: :police:

I always have this problem. I leave them until the last week before the deadline, sometimes less. OTOH, some of my better papers were produced in two days.

You've just summed up my entire academic history.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #892 on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

"The dog ate my homework."  :moomin: :puppy: Sorry

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #893 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »
@ Lestat - Yes, I know it's the kitchen.  I meant that you need a properly equipped, spacious dedicated area to work in.

Note:  fixed.  I meant as large as New Scotland Yard.  (You can stink the coppers out there)

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #894 on: March 21, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
Heh I wish. I got my fresh argon tank. Bought three or four of them actually so I know I have backups when needed. Time  to get chlorinating.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #895 on: March 22, 2017, 12:50:30 AM »

I have a friend in the UK who was supposed to attend a conference in Prague in February. Had his flight tickets bought, hotel booked, conference paid, everything.

His puppy ate his passport.  :lol1:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #896 on: March 22, 2017, 01:19:37 AM »
 :laugh:
:dog:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #897 on: March 22, 2017, 05:18:56 AM »
  I'm going to go to work, tackle my chores with gusto, and get the fuck outta there at 6!  :arrr:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #898 on: March 22, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »

I have a friend in the UK who was supposed to attend a conference in Prague in February. Had his flight tickets bought, hotel booked, conference paid, everything.

His puppy ate his passport.  :lol1:

Sounds almost like my girlfriend.  She was 6 hours away from leaving for the airport for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Ireland.  Couldn't find her passport.  I was just kidding around/calming her down when I looked in her purse.  No passport.  She was sure it was there.  Nope.  Frantic search through the apartment.  Call the security guard at work to check her desk.  No passport.  Call my Mom to alert her that we may need her to help look.  Search the apartment again.  Third time around it was under the bed in the shadows.  She just made it to the airport on time.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #899 on: March 22, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »
Post a couple of the better clips of my work in elder's, before releasing the public version and updating the former when I have the time to give them a proper tarting up, and do some editing to splice the segments and arrange them so as to best illustrate the art of the chemist at work, doing some inorganic  :heisenberg: