Author Topic: Caring or the lack thereof - a queston.  (Read 412 times)

Offline lilia

• Nihil
  • Constant Poster
Caring or the lack thereof - a queston.
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:44:26 AM »
I'm curious how other people feel about this whole caring about other people thing.

Do you think that it is a basic human right that people should care about one another in some way?  Do you find it acceptable that a person may just honestly not care at all about another person and what their actions may have on people?

At what point do you draw the line between disinterest and interest in another's welfare?

To be fair, I'll give my own opinions on it first:

Most of the time, I just don't really care.  I am capable of empathy, sympathy, and caring, but they aren't default emotions for me.  My default emotion quite normally is erm.. nothing.  I don't know what switches on caring, but once it's switched on it rarely switches off (for that specific person). 

I also do not think anyone should be expected to care about another person or their welfare.  Yes, I realize what the world would be like if no one cared about anyone else, but I tend to think things like that reach an equilibrium state without intervention. 

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Caring or the lack thereof - a queston.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 08:46:20 AM »
i care alot.  but i base that on my own selfish interests.  i think i care, because i do not want injustice to happen to me.  so i feel for those that it is happening to, thinking that if bad things weren't happening all the time, then i wouldn't have bad things happen to me in the future.

i care, for me.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:48:49 AM »
I tend to either not care at all or care too much- I don't seem to have an in-between mode.  I often feel that my responses to people in pain are all fucked up- I seem to care about people I shouldn't and even with those I should care about my responses always seem over the top to me.  And at other times I can't seem to make myself care at all- I feel all shut off from the people around me.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:50:48 AM »
i see others as an example for me.

did that person do something that i disrespect, then i will not repeat their actions.

did that person do something that i admire?  then i will try to emulate their behaviour.

how to act, per se, is not instinctual for me.  i have spent alot of time people watching trying to figure them out.  so, that i can figure myself out.

i would say transferrence.
Misunderstood.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:51:22 AM »
i care for me and for people i'm interested in, do something for me, or who i care enough about to care about - you'll know what i mean, if you do.

and that's to varying degrees.

but, like aeval, my default position is nothing, although i have more concern for myself.  and yet, when i DO care for/about someone, it's total, and i'll move heaven and earth to make sure things are good for them.  well, as long as it doesn't put me out, of course.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48:15 AM »
It isn't a right of people to be cared about.  But that doesn't make people being displeased that they aren't being cared about invalid or against some higher law that cannot be broken.  And it might also be your right to not care about people.  But your right to not care about people does not mandate that people must be okay with you and like you and be happy about you not caring about them.

So essentially, it is your god given right not to care about people, but it is not your god given right to not get a whole bunch of people pissed at you for not caring about people.  Is it consistent?  No, but that is how it works.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:34:59 PM »
Caring and sharing are apart of living life or if You do not want to care that is Your right too.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:35:49 PM »
do bums/hobos care?

do they care about themselves, even?  do they still have pride in themselves?
Misunderstood.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:26:44 PM »
do bums/hobos care?

I all people care about themselves in the end. For most people want to be respected in the end.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:27:52 PM »
do bums/hobos care?

I all people care about themselves in the end. For most people want to be respected in the end.

that is just a generalized statement kevv, it would appear that bums don't care.
Misunderstood.