Educational

Author Topic: Iceland fights back  (Read 1152 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Re: Iceland fights back
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
New regulations mean a lot more flights will be about.

I welcome them, but I do feel there will be some sort of consequences.

Well the ash cloud density right now probably isn't high enough to damage aircraft short term, can't say for medium/long term exactly. I agree that they could get away with flying. Currently you'd probably have to fly right next to Iceland, downwind from the ash cloud to experience damage. However if let's say most of Iceland's volcanoes blew at once, especially Kayla (I think that's it's name), the ash cloud density would sky-rocket to a point unsafe for even new regulations. That's what they're most worried about.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:37:48 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Scrapheap

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
It's funny how now we get bombarded with doom scenario's.

Yes, there is this volcano often erupting shortly after this one.

But now I read about three more on the brink of eruption. One on Iceland really was threatening, because it has erupted 20 times over the past 2800 years..... (might have been a typo of course). And we all should be aware that there are many more active volcanoes on Iceland.

The tone of some messages on Icelandic volcanoes gets like the tone on predictions of the end of the world. Like supernova or comet in a time-span that all of us will be dead and humankind probably extinct. Weird, how there is such a hunger for stories told with a tone of absolute doom awaiting us.

Some of icelands eruptions in the past have had major consequences for Europe and the rest of the world, but the fact is, that the earth HAS cooled quite a bit and cataclysmic eruptions are likely a thing of the past. As a worst case scenario, we might see some eruptions that are on the order of 10 times bigger than the recent ones, but anything bigger isn't being predicted by any geologists that I know of.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 02:41:56 AM »

Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »
I want to go see if only I had a sail boat big enough
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
Apparently it's calming down now. The eruption is supposed to be over, according to a geologist.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 01:39:37 AM »
Apparently it's calming down now. The eruption is supposed to be over, according to a geologist.

Someone had better tell the volcano that a geologist said so.  :green:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 04:34:44 AM »

GODDAMN unruly volcanoes!

I just gave you a virtual + KP .....
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »

:lol: I'd plus you, but...
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
msnbc.com
updated 11:16 a.m. ET, Thurs., May 27, 2010
LONDON - A second, much larger volcano in Iceland is showing signs that it may be about to erupt, scientists have warned.

Since the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, which caused cancellations of thousands of flights in Europe because of a giant ash cloud, there has been much speculation about neighboring Katla.

An initial research paper by the University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction said: "Analysis of the seismic energy released around Katla over the last decade or so is interpreted as providing evidence of a rising ... intrusive magma body on the western flank of the volcano

Earlier seismic energy release at Katla is associated with the inflation of the volcano, which indicates it is close to failure, although this does not appear to be linked to seismicity around Eyjafjallajökull," it added.

"We conclude that given the high frequency of Katla activity, an eruption in the short term is a strong possibility," the report said. "It is likely to be preceded by new earthquake activity. Presently there is no unusual seismicity under Katla."

Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson has warned governments around Europe that a significant eruption at the volcano is close. "We [Iceland] have prepared ... it is high time for European governments and airline authorities all over Europe and the world to start planning for the eventual Katla eruption," he said.

The UCL scientists, engineers and statisticians also criticized the response to the earlier eruption.

"The impact of the eruption on regional airspace could have been predicted and better prepared for as the growing problem of aircraft-ash cloud encounters has been recognized for decades," the report added.

"Similarly, the potential for ash clouds, specifically from Icelandic volcanoes, to interfere with air traffic in UK, European and North Atlantic air-space was appreciated by the aviation industry well before the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption," it said.

"The response to the ash cloud’s arrival in UK and adjacent airspace was entirely reactive and therefore less effective than it should have been

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37371442/ns/...ws-europe/